This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Chance to win a copy of Warburtons new and exclusive breakfast handbook or a hamper of breakfast goodies...

(111 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 10-May-13 14:18:57

Following on from the survey and thread at Christmas Warburtons have been back in touch with us and are pleased to announce their new breakfast handbook has now been published on a limited edition run.
The team at Warburtons say "We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but making sure the whole family has eaten something tasty and nutritious before leaving the house can often seem a mammoth task.
"What's more, Warburtons understands that getting the balance right between a tasty and healthy breakfast, which is also quick and easy to make, can often be a struggle. That's why it has teamed up with child psychologist Tanya Byron to create Breakfast: From Our Family to Yours 'Making Breakfast Easy'.
The books is the culmination of a large-scale study, which involved a mix of 2,000 mums - including 1,000 Mumsnetters ), over 50,000 Facebook fans and focus groups up and down Britain. The handbook includes hundreds of helpful hints, tips and recipes to help you tackle the weekday breakfast rush. Whether it's a top tip on how to entice the kids out of bed, helpful hints on getting the whole family involved in the morning routine, or a delicious recipe, there's something in it for everyone".

Warburtons would love to hear from you again. Share on this thread how you (or your partner) get the family up and out in the mornings and you'll be entered into a prize draw where three lucky MNers will win a Warburtons hamper full of Warburtons product as well as other goodies worth £45 in total.

In addition, there are 100 copies of the book up for grabs: add your details here and 100 MNers selected at random will receive a book.

Warburtons also say: "if you're not lucky enough to win a copy of the book here then do head over to www.Facebook.com/Warburtons where Warburtons is running another free prize draw".

Good luck!

MNHQ

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 10-May-13 20:54:38

Our ds's are always up by 7am. That leaves plenty of time for showers, getting dressed and a play before breakfast at 8am and leaving for school and work at 8.30.

They are very much boys who stick to what they like - cereal (weetabix, shreddies or Cheerios), a yoghurt, some fruit and either oj or milk to drink.

On weekends, they have a hot breakfast. Often boiled eggs and toast or crumpets.

The thing that makes mornings a relaxed time here is having plenty of time. I'm sure that will change as our ds's become older!

LizzieVereker Fri 10-May-13 21:21:19

I get up at 6 and have a cup of tea in peace. I get DS1 up for shower at 6.30 and DS2 at 6.50 ish. Ds1 likes cereal and banana, and goes on the laptop to "read the news" while I pretend I don't know that he's really finishing homework.

We've got one of those egg and toast toaster thingies and DS2 loves a toasted egg sandwich. I make packed lunch and gaff while they 're eating. I make fruit toast for me (warburton's, natch!) which I eat when I get to work.

DH works nights, so comes in at 7.30 so we have a cup of tea together before I go to work and he takes DS to school. It's quite a relaxed, cheery start to the day.

SamraLee Fri 10-May-13 21:56:21

Normally I wake up with our daughter and let my husband have an extra hour sleep. Then we both go into the bedroom and wake him up by jumping on the bed. I drop my daughter off with my husband while I rush into the kitchen to get breakfast sorted. On Mondays I also sort out my husband's lunch, as well as mine and my daughters, while trying not to burn the toast!

AtYourCervix Fri 10-May-13 22:02:33

6.15 my alarm. I grunt groan and heave myself up.

Shower, teeth, dress

Coffee

Feed animals.

Coffee

6.45 shout upstairs 'GET UP'

Coffee

6.50 toast. With marmite

6.55 shout again 'GET UP NOW'

7.00 Shout again 'GET UP GET UP GET UP GET UP GET UP GET UP'

go to work leaving brats to get themsrkves up, have breakfast and get themselves to school.

Sounds shocking but they are 15 and 17.

littleboo21 Fri 10-May-13 22:12:58

I tend to get up first, swiftly followed by the children. As I the crumpets are toasting I'm starting on the packed lunches. I'm sure my hubby can smell the crumpets toasting because just as the pop up he magically appears

sharond101 Fri 10-May-13 22:31:16

DH is a morning person and I love weekends when he gets up to play with DS. They do breakfast together and I get up leisurely and get the opportunity to straighten my hair before we go out with the dog. On weekdays though it's just me and DS and I have to occupy him with a hundred and one toys whilst I get ready then convince him Mum's weetabix tastes just as god as the weetabix Daddy makes him.

GiraffesAndButterflies Fri 10-May-13 23:14:06

I'm on maternity leave at the moment, my main challenge is to make sure I fit in a morning shower while DH is around to look after 12wo DD.

So when his alarm goes off I jump in the shower, and DH looks after DD. Sometimes this means joining me in the bathroom for a nappy change while I'm showering, which is sociable grin

Then usually I'll be bringing breakfast (porridge/toast/cereal) up to the bedroom and DH eats while getting ready for work, while DD and I go back to bed! But when we do get up later, it's much easier as I'm already washed and breakfasted!

DoTheStrand Sat 11-May-13 00:52:21

DS2 (15 months) wakes up about 5.45am for a bottle of milk, then I get up and make DH's breakfast (fried eggs on toast and tea) while he plays with the baby. Then the baby goes back into his cot with some toys and I get ready (hair straightening, make up, the works. I feel rubbish if I don't make an effort). If I have time I have been known to do some ironing at this point too... DS1 (4) will appear in our room between 6.30 and 7.15. I aim to get the three of us downstairs for 7.15 as DH heads off to work.

Breakfast is usually homemade fruitbread, toasted, and fruit, for DS2 and me, or if I haven't had the breadmaker out malt loaf, crumpets, toast or something. DS1 has fruit - he never knows what else he wants but knows what he doesn't want so we go through a long list (yoghurt, bread with cream cheese, toast and butter, cereal, cheese on toast, ham, etc etc).

At weekends I often make pancakes (thin ones with lemon and sugar not Nutella oh no, or thick American-style ones with blueberries, banana slices or sultanas in).

On preschool / nursery days I start clearing up breakfast at about 7.45am, then clean up DS2 and get him dressed. Then he plays while I get DS1 dressed. (absolutely no point getting them dressed before breakfast because of the mess). Then we brush teeth and aim to leave at 8.15 which means we leave at 8.25.

Mornings are much simpler since DS2 started having bready things for breakfast - before he took a packed lunch including sandwiches to nursery and I didn't want him having too much bread because of the salt levels, so he had Weetabix for breakfast. of course it dries like concrete so if I left it too long i felt like I was having to chisel it off him (they really should make Weetabix-specific baby wipes!). Now he has a hot lunch at nursery.

NotSoNervous Sat 11-May-13 02:28:42

Done

LaundryLegoLunch Sat 11-May-13 06:59:50

DH and I vaguely alternate who gets up first. We have ds1 (6) ds2 (5) and dd (18mo).
Our first job is bringing in the milk as joy of joys we have a milkman delivering proper milk in glass bottles.

Our ds's are cereal obsessed so we go through an elaborate process of them choosing from about 6 different cereals. Dd normally has porridge.

If we have a bit of extra time we do 'spread your bread'. Which is basically where we put on the table every possible topping (marmite, marmalade, Nutella, lemon curd, golden strip etc etc etc) and a pile if toast and the boys do their own thing. It is messy and staggeringly unhealthy but they love it.

On a really good day I might have time for a coffee grin

Elkieb Sat 11-May-13 08:37:46

Mornings here are always chaotic grin. If I'm lucky I can grab 5 minutes to eat a slice of toast and lemon curd, but I always make sure my son has a decent brekkie to set him up for the day. If it's the weekend i get a lie in on a Saturday morning before boiled eggs and toast soldiers for a lazy breakfast. And then the whirlwind starts again!

insanityscratching Sat 11-May-13 08:53:56

Weekday mornings because everyone leaves at different times to go to work everyone fends for themselves grabbing toast cereal and coffee before they leave or sometimes not grabbing anything and buying en route. This leaves me and dd2 at home to have breakfast before I take her to school. For dd it's the meal where she eats most so I am happy to indulge her with whatever she wants. She likes something cooked mostly so often make sausages, eggs and beans with toast or on a muffin or pancakes with fruit and yoghurt.
At weekends I often make a brunch because everyone but me likes a lie in, bacon and mushroom cobs or muffins, full English breakfast or crumpets topped with cheese and tomato.

I find that throwing a strop helps.

Mornings are terrible. They should be outlawed.

katb1973 Sat 11-May-13 13:53:57

We usually get woken by our dc slipping under our covers and demanding for us to get up and play. Then starts the mad rush, my dh showers while I get breakfast on the table and the dc dress. Then we swap and my dh packs lunches and eats breakfast with the dc. Then it's a mad rush to pack bags, get bikes out and get everyone off to school and work.

sweetiexxx Sat 11-May-13 14:21:56

With two girls under three our mornings start bright and early at 6.30. We bring the girls into our bed and we all enjoy a nice peaceful drink (Ha Ha) a nice cuppa for us and milk for the little monkeys. After that Daddy gets up and heads to work and I get the girls washed and dressed before taking them down stairs. They both love their breakfast and it's the only meal that they will both realiably eat. They start with Weetabix but then love a slice of toast with Honey and then we head out for the day. At the weekend we try to have brunch as a family - bacon and egg rolls are a favourite.

skyebluesapphire Sat 11-May-13 14:25:03

I get up in the morning, give DD her breakfast, feed the cat, then shower while they eat. Then once dressed, i get DD ready for school. She usually has around half an hour to play or watch tv before going to school.

weekends are more leisurely if DD is with me, then we have breakfast in bed and watch tv. If she is with XH for the weekend, then we have to be ready for 10am.

vintagesocks Sat 11-May-13 17:32:04

I have the breakfast virtually ready the night before, so can give more time to waking the DDs up gently, lots of cuddles etc before we go to breakfast. So it's just milk and juice on the table, make coffee as the morning chores.

I like a "proper" sit down breakfast every day, not just weekends. But it does help we live a few doors down from their school!

hermancakedestroyer Sat 11-May-13 17:41:44

It's toast, fruit toast, crumpets or cheese muffins to raise my family in the morning. Quick, easy, accessible and ready in the 3 minute window that I have in the mornings to prepare breakfast!!

Timeforabiscuit Sat 11-May-13 19:21:26

The DD's get up bright and breezy at 6am while DH and myself wander aimlessly around the house like a scene from the walking dead.

The children use short prompts to direct us to the next activity, involving a chocolate based cereal which neither myself or DH have the wherewithal to refuse until the box is empty.

It's not until the kettle is boiled that DH or I have anything resembling a conscious thought - at which point a drilled routine kicks in that has a strange twisted beauty in it's execution.

Adults have half a cup of lukewarm (good day) or cold (baaad day) tea to sustain till lunch time. Children fare better (barely) and usually request second breakfast (apple) as we're leaving.

apatchylass Sat 11-May-13 20:16:08

I'm the only one who wakes naturally early in our house, so I get up, sort the animals, load the washing machine and make tea for DH. Then go and wake the kids and ask them what they want for breakfast. Usually they have toast with cheese and marmite or peanut butter & jam, and juice or a home made banana milkshake. If I'm feeling kind, it's snowing or they have exams, they get a cooked breakfast too.

It's a bit spoiled to make their breakfast for them - they are perfectly capable of making it themselves, but I love the quiet time, radio on, having a coffee, making packed lunches and breakfast before calling them down. As I usually work from home, there's less pressure on than for families who have to get everyone out of the house at a set time.

Breakfast is a pretty calm time in our house. We play music and chat. The mania starts afterwards, when they are dressed and half way out the door then say - 'By the way I have an assembly today you have to come to and I need to be a giraffe in it, where's my costume?' (This has actually happened.)

apatchylass Sat 11-May-13 20:18:35

Timeforabiscuit LOL at the children directing you to your next activity.

yegodsandlittlefishes Sat 11-May-13 20:19:48

Share on this thread how you (or your partner) get the family up and out in the mornings and you'll be entered into a prize draw where three lucky MNers will win a Warburtons hamper.

When our children were up to the age of about 4, we took responsibility to get them up, fed, washed and dressed on time. We had one routine for school days and another for more relaxed days. We would also have occasional 'pyjama days' which would mean no washing or dressing but we would still have breakfast, sometimes in our big bed (which I or DH would bring upstairs). Most importantly, they would always see both me and their daddy eat breakfast at the table every day, right up until they were aged about 9 or 10. Our children were never ones to wake early, and unless there was a reason to go out for something I didn't expect them to be up and dressed before about 9 or 10 at weekends and holidays and friends just got used to our lazy ways! grin

The Pyjama Day tradition has remained as a firm favourite and we occasionally have these in school holidays on the rare days when none of us have something to go out for (this generally takes forward planning these days!)

From the ages of 4 to about 12 there has been a gradual handover of responsibility of how much they need to do themselves to get themselves ready. Of course they were capable of getting ready at 4 years old, but that doesn't mean they're going to be reliable enough to remember everything, including making and packing their packed lunch, homework and all the other kit and caboodle needed on any given day.

From about 12 they have been fairly independent. Younger ones less so, and have needed a little longer to get the idea that if they don't do it themselves it won't get done!

I provide breakfast ingredients and they help themselves on week days, or when I'm out at work. I monitor what disappears and encourage the fresh breads and fruit to go before the things that store for longer. When there's time, I'll cook them egg & toast or pancakes, and they will sometimes cook themselves eggy bread or porridge. They're sporty and the eldest will get herself out at 7am most Saturdays and Sundays, and walk 1.5 miles to the sports venue/club house. She gets herself some Weetobix or toast/bread before she leaves and her own special milky porridge oats/cereal with jam/peanut butter 'soup mix' with added dried fruit which can be microwaved at the club. She'll take a sandwich or pasta and healthy snacks she's made for lunch if she's staying to help with the younger ones, too (she's 14). I collect her when she's finished. This is all her own choice, and if she wants me to cook her something for breakfast, or some cakes to take with her, or give her a lift anywhere I will, if she gives me fair warning. She gets a great sense of achievement from doing all this herself and has earned our admiration, especially as she wasn't a great getter-upper when she was little.

Other children can need more encouragement to get up and eat, but I don't push. It's up to them and if they only feel like eating a bit of toast and runny egg, a banana and muffin or one bowl of cereal, then it's better than nothing.

I've just had tests which show I have an underlying physical cause to the lack of energy and all round fatigue I have been experiencing for years and which mean I just cannot hurry in the mornings as I used to. For that reason, I can't push children to go faster, as I cannot manage it myself, so I prefer to give them what they need for them do what they can themselves and then set a good example of giving myself enough time to do what I need, and to eat appropriately for my own needs.

Cantdothisagain Sat 11-May-13 20:48:38

These threads inevitably make me feel inadequate as our house is pretty chaotic in the mornings.... but what helps to get sorted is: turning getting dressed into a race; laying out clothes and schoolbag the night before; playing tag-team so DH starts the process while I am showering and I take over; making in advance a stock of breakfast muffins (bran, molasses, banana, etc) that can be eaten quickly. Even with all this though it's always a mad rush!

This morning DS woke me up......

DS: Wake up mummy it's 6:32 and I'd like some breakfast.
Me: Where's the dog!?!?! (In season and usually can be found at my feet/side)
DS: She's gone for a walk ................................[.biggest pause ever while I jump out of bed in a panic ].................downstairs. grin

That sure woke me up!

CheeryCherry Sun 12-May-13 07:44:37

My DCs are all teens now, and send less time than ever before getting from their bed to getting off to school. For the first time in years I make a pile of toast for them to grab on their way out of the door! Prior to this they've always got up themselves and pottered round, still don't have the tv on, just radio 1 to keep us all amused. They used to help themselves to breakfast while I took the dog out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now