This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Take a look at the E.ON Rewards loyalty scheme and share your thoughts to be in with a chance of winning a £250 JL voucher

(110 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 10:06:29

E.ON has a loyalty reward scheme which rewards customers for staying with them.
Here's what E.ON says about the scheme: "If you're an E.ON customer and you've been with E.ON for a year or more you could be rewarded for staying with us. You have a choice of taking rewards as Tesco Clubcard points or money off your bill. Further rewards are on offer for managing your account online or taking both fuels from E.ON. All you need to do is change to one of E.ON's tariffs with rewards."

E.ON would like you to visit their website and read the information on their rewards.
Here's the Link:
https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/products-and-services/EON-rewards

Please then return to this thread and tell us what you think, in particular:
- What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally?
- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-May-13 11:59:07

Thanks for all your comments. The winner of the prize draw is...

katiewalters

Congratulations, I'll PM you for your details.

stephgr Sun 05-May-13 00:44:56

I like reward schemes but I'd much rather just have lower prices. I'd much prefer money off my bill rather than Tesco points. I often forget to use rewards and only remember when they've expired so money off is best for me.

sarat1 Sat 04-May-13 07:11:33

In order to keep up with other companies and stay competitive, Eon really does need a loyalty scheme. It definitely wouldn't make a difference to joining but might have make me think twice before deciding to change to a different energy provider because of the increase in rewards linked to loyalty. Tesco Clubcard points are still the most valuable points scheme after Boots because of the Rewards exchange.

Wheresthecoffee Fri 03-May-13 18:21:44

I think they are a good incentive if the reward is something useable.
- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points? Money off the bill directly, although we would only switch if the saving was significant.

firawla Wed 01-May-13 22:26:14

I like loyalty schemes in shops but for energy i think it should just be kept simple, at the lowest price possible rather than some given back in loyalty schemes, but if i was to do it then money off my bill would be the choice

Puppypoppet Wed 01-May-13 11:32:40

I love loyalty schemes. Particular favourites O2 Priority Moments, Tesco Clubcard and Boots Advantage Card.
The eon rewards wouldn't attract me as the amounts involved are so minimal. I would rather have money of my bill but it would have to be significant and the tariffs cheaper to make me switch.

Seaholly Tue 30-Apr-13 22:11:12

About reward schemes in general:-

There are some good schemes which are great if you are a regular shopper anyway as money/rewards add up without you noticing eg boots nectar and tesco.

I don't go out of my way to shop or use their products if I think they are cheaper elsewhere.

Eon's reward scheme:-

I would consider what it offers if I am looking to switch, but my main concern is them being competitive on price.

if they are competitive it may swing the deal for me.

I would prefer tesco vouchers as it would feel more of a treat/reward.

DifferentNow Tue 30-Apr-13 09:22:20

I like loyalty schemes but I only participate in ones that are worthwhile, ie I won't carry cards or share my details with schemes I don't make use of very regularly. I currently use Boots and M&S but have stopped using Tesco and Atlantic as although the reward schemes were very generous, the poor customer service I'd experienced was a bigger factor.

- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

E.ON rewards seem pretty poor to be honest. Most people spend such a lot on fuel each year that a insignificant amount like £20 is unlikely to have any impact on their bills or decision to remain loyal. My previous energy supplier refunded the cost of a months worth of gas and electricity to my bank account every 13 months which equated to around £140. Even this wasn't enough to keep me from switching to a cheaper tarriff with another provider. Customer service is important and there are always offers/incentives to be had when changing supplier.

LentilAsAnything Mon 29-Apr-13 20:01:37

A good idea. May as well earn points if I am going to buy something. However, if something is cheaper in another shop, I will buy there.

Show me the money! smile Tesco points would be ok, though!

emily80 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:51:53

I love reward schemes in general, especially Tesco Clubcard and Nectar. It's great to get something back for shopping you'd be doing anyway, but it doesn't generally affect where I choose to shop.

The Eon rewards scheme I'd see as a bonus, but my decision to switch to them/stay with them would be based on price. It doesn't seem particularly generous to be honest - the savings are quite small - I'm with Npower at the moment and I get £100 a year back for my dual fuel account (on top of other discounts). I'd probably rather have the clubcard points as they can be exchanged for something worth more, like days out vouchers, so they're worth more to me than their cash value.

dahville Mon 29-Apr-13 13:27:47

I will use loyalty schemes if they offer a good benefit. I've done well with Tesco & Boots.

The eon offering doesn't seem that good; I want to know that I am on the best rate & receiving a reward as well. I don't get that from their website.

If I were on their loyalty scheme I would likely take the Tesco rewards.

Creamtea1 Mon 29-Apr-13 12:59:45

They are only any good if you shop in the place regularly and incentivise you to continue to do so - ie the big supermarkets etc. I dont see the point of any others, would rather just have cheaper prices.

- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points
I would rather that EON brought their prices down, they are one of the (if not the most) expensive energy suppliers on the market, they have lots of tariffs - why? why not just have 2 or 3 cheap, well priced products. I only ever go with the cheapest supplier and those where you can manage your account online. I do not like the way EON sneak people (for instance house movers) onto high priced tariffs.

WowOoo Mon 29-Apr-13 12:21:41

Loyalty schemes are fine, but I would rather just have more competitive and lower prices generally.
I do not shop at places I have loyalty cards, unless there is a really good deal there as I usually find things are cheaper elsewhere.

- What do you think about E.ON rewards?

Not particularly enticing rewards.
If their prices were a lot more competitive I'd see it as a bonus. From what I worked out, I'd be paying a substantial amount more than my current provider.

- Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

Money off... Or Nectar points!

HotheadPaisan Mon 29-Apr-13 11:36:40

Atlantic do better rewards than this, mostly I just want my bills adjusted more regularly and the discounts applied as I go along so I can keep my monthly spreadsheet up to date.

Lostinthepast Sun 28-Apr-13 20:06:37

1. I like loyalty schemes as a whole but only as so far as my expenditure plus loyalty bonus equals the best deal for me. If it costs me more to purchase from the company in the first place then the loyalty scheme won't entice me to start. I think this is the case with E.ON. The basic price is higher than what I pay.

2. As a whole I'd prefer vouchers, they can be used for a treat thing rather than just being absorbed as part of the household bill. However I don't shop at Tescos so they wouldn't especially appeal to me. I primarily shop online with Ocado (who do need a loyalty scheme) and then pick up bits and do the odd big bulk shop at Sainsburys. Amazon vouchers / Nectar points would be far more appealing!

rootypig Sat 27-Apr-13 09:36:16

Loyalty card schemes are exhausting (endless calculations of what you're getting, when, vouchers, blah blah) and are generally a marketing tool suckering you into spending more. I don't think it's appropriate to energy actually - I would prefer transparent, readily comparable and fair pricing (rolls on the floor in hysterics at the thought).

I actually did this yesterday and have since seen the thread. I rang e-on about whether i had an offpeak rate(i didnt i had a flat rate, online and duel fuel discounts and clubcard points) the lady told me i could switcg to a cheaper rate plus get my loyalty bonus. I did. And i took the bonus in clubcard points because i could quadruple them in deals. However in changing to a cheaper rate i now lose my clubcard points.

I like loyalty schemes. I certainly shop with them in mind, for instance i use my tesco credit card as a fuel card, pay it in full and attract significant points for an everyday expense. I double up in events which pays for christmas.

In terms of e-ons own scheme it didnt impress me. I pay 113.00 a month in fuel to them and the loyalty bonus was such a tiny percentage, i was happy to swap tarriff because i wanted a cheaper unit price but i lost my clubcard points which annoyed me really. On balance cheaper fuel units are worthmore than the tesco points but the loyalty bonus meant very little really after losing an ongoing reward.

Fast Fri 26-Apr-13 21:45:35

I generally like loyalty schemes if they are properly rewarding genuine customers. I've known some shops/ companies want you to spend £500 before you get a 'reward' of a £5 voucher, meanwhile I'd have had better value by just buying via Quidco or similar.

What does bug me is when new customers seem to get better deals than existing customers, something that happens a lot with service providers. Loyalty should be rewarded, not just hoping that we are all too lazy to change after our initial contract period has expired.

With regards to E. ON I wouldn't mind having Tesco points as I usually save them up to spend at Goldsmiths.

BikeRunSki Fri 26-Apr-13 21:38:10

- What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally? I like them if I am going to shop somewhere anyway, although it's not a deal breaker. Basically, if cost/service/convinience is right, I will shop at that place, regardless of whether there is a loyalty scheme. I like loyalty schemes as a bonus.

For anything, fuel or otherwise, I'd rather have a lower bill than loyalty points.

maxmissie Fri 26-Apr-13 21:37:57

In terms of loyalty points schemes generally I only have the cards for places that I shop anyway, e.g. Boots, Tesco, Nectar, Co-op. I don't only shop at these places but if I'm near one and especially if I'm going to spend a lot of money, I will try and go to one of them, although this mainly applies to petrol rather than shopping in generally.

I'm an EON customer and so am on the EON reward scheme. I've been with them for ages though and so didn't switch because of the scheme. Not sure if such a scheme would make me switch, I would have to factor the cost of the electricity/gas and then the discount before deciding. I think I went for the money off our bills rather than the Tesco points, mainly because when I redeem the Tesco points I always end up having to spend money as well, e.g. we go somewhere for the day out and spend on petrol, food etc. and that the money off seemed like a better deal as I could see we were getting a discount.

Lotstodo Fri 26-Apr-13 21:02:29

What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally?
I love loyalty schemes because that makes me tend to stick with them as I feel I am being rewarded and a valued customer. Some loyalty schemes are better than others and I think Boots is possibly the best and so choose to buy from Boots rather than a supermarket like Tesco that also offer points.

What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

I would prefer money off my bill but having looked at the scheme, I don't think the incentives are good. The amount you get off seems very low. I do like the idea of a loyalty programme!

hytheliz Fri 26-Apr-13 20:03:43

I love loyalty schemes because customers feel appreciation for they loyalty to companies and then tend to repeat their custom! It's a win win situation! Customers are happy and feel rewarded and give companies repeat business! Some loyalty schemes are better than other and I think Boots is unbeatable which means I go out of my way to purchase from Boots when I can.

I would definitely prefer money off my bill but having looked at the scheme, I don't think the incentives are good enough. The amount you get off seems very low compared to incentives I've had with other companies (£100 off for dual fuel and another £100 for staying with the company a further year!). I don't think the incentives E.On offer would be enough to keep me with them but I do like the idea of a loyalty programme!

Dixiebell Fri 26-Apr-13 19:30:20

Generally I only bother with supermarket rewards - Nectar. I only shop there but that's more because of location than loyalty. I enjoy using the points to buy big items from Amazon in particular. I don't tend to sign up to other stores' loyalty schemes, but use sainsburys enough to make it worth the faff.

Specifically, I guess I don't have a problem with an energy company having a loyalty scheme, but it would be the overall price that I'd base my decision on. I might take into account loyalty cash back in this.i wouldn't want tesco vouchers as I don't shop there, but would go for something more flexible in spending, such as the Nectar scheme.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 26-Apr-13 18:06:23

I think loyalty reward schemes can sometimes be very effective. Earlier in the year I switched to Tesco for my weekly grocery shop because of the price guarantee and the club card reward scheme. I also shop at Boots instead of Superdrug because I will get advantage card points for doing so.

The key thing in both of those examples is that I'm not losing any money but gaining a reward. With energy, I'll just go through a price comparison and choose whoever is cheapest. If eon was the same price as a rival then I'd choose eon because of the reward scheme. If it was more expensive by £10 or more then I would go with the cheaper option. I'd choose club card points as I find them really useful for days out.

NetworkGuy Fri 26-Apr-13 17:58:23

Unless it is for something one wants, I'd simply prefer a discount applied "up front". I have a Tesco Clubcard and when I happen to buy something there (only when there's a true 'value for money ' deal, such as 3 boxes of washing powder for 10 quid) it annoys me to get a voucher saying 3 pounds off when you spend 20 pounds. Why not just give me 1.50 off what I've spent. It's not going to make me come back to Tesco within a week or 10 days and spend 20 quid.

I'm with E.ON at present. I saw the rewards info and if that's the best they can do they will lose me as a customer. I see someone mentioned Quidco - switching both fuels can mean a cashback of 60 pounds. If I get 60 pounds this year switching to someone else, then E.ON offering me a fraction of that for staying is ridiculous. I want to save cash, and therefore will be checking carefully on some comparison sites.

E.ON have just changed my tariff so instead of a per unit cost, with some portion at a different rate, there is now a daily fee and a per unit fee. I will be advising my sister (who has a holiday home abroad, so only lives in the UK during the warmer months) to check she has no "per day" fees charged, because they are a penalty for those people who make NO use of the service for part of the time. I bet there would be higher fees for "turning off" service officially for some months, and it will hit anyone working at another location for part of the week, too.

Energy firms deliberately have complicated charges, and worse still, EVERY REGION has different prices, so not so easy to help a relative as MY best option may be more expensive for each of my sisters (one Humberside, one Midlands, one South Coast).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now