This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Take a look at the E.ON Rewards loyalty scheme and share your thoughts to be in with a chance of winning a £250 JL voucher

(110 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Apr-13 10:06:29

E.ON has a loyalty reward scheme which rewards customers for staying with them.
Here's what E.ON says about the scheme: "If you're an E.ON customer and you've been with E.ON for a year or more you could be rewarded for staying with us. You have a choice of taking rewards as Tesco Clubcard points or money off your bill. Further rewards are on offer for managing your account online or taking both fuels from E.ON. All you need to do is change to one of E.ON's tariffs with rewards."

E.ON would like you to visit their website and read the information on their rewards.
Here's the Link:
https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/products-and-services/EON-rewards

Please then return to this thread and tell us what you think, in particular:
- What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally?
- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

ILoveAFullFridge Thu 25-Apr-13 16:24:07

Rewards are pointless (ha ha) if the up-front cost of the service ishigher than the competition. So the bottom line would be fat more important to me than any reward scheme.

Given that I wouldnot factor rewards into my choice of energy provider, I would take the rewards as Tesco points. Tesco points give good value-for-money when converted into money-off vouchers for attractions/travel/eating out.

As for Air Miles - utterly useless rip-off.

serendipity1980 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:13:09

- What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?
I think the schemes need to be worth it, and the amount of the rewards Eon are giving probably isn't worth it. I would use them if they were the cheapest but if they aren't then the reward doesn't compensate for this. I do use reward schemes but only when it's worth it. If I did decide to become a customer of Eon rewards, I would prefer tesco s points because they can then be converted into valuable restaurant vouchers!

I like loyalty schemes in general.... for instance I always use my boots advantage points card and accumulate them for holidays or Xmas time. I also use my tesco clubcard sporadically and sometimes nectar.

For a loyalty scheme to be worthwhile for me though, it needs to be easy and transparent.

eg: I wouldn't pay £50 at boots for something that costs £20 elsewhere just so that I can accumulate points.

The Eon rewards are a bit misleading really... surely if you offered the best tariff going there would be no need to offer 'loyalty' incentives?
If it was a joining incentive I'd consider it but energy prices are up and down all the time at the moment so it'd be stupid to stay with a provider for the sake of a £10 voucher.

helcrai Thu 25-Apr-13 17:57:46

My interest is usually piqued when I see an offer with loyalty rewards (have every loyalty card going!) but I was not that bowled over by this one. I did a quick comparison with my current provider, NPower who already offer me £100 cash back after a year on dual fuel with them along with a pretty typical across the board discount for paying by direct debit. Eon comes out more expensive by about £200 so the discount they're offering does not match up. I suspect most people will do the same exercise. Discount is effective at getting people to take notice initially but needs to be much higher to compete with the other big names.
I would personally take a cash discount over Tesco club card points, although a lot would probably prefer these as they can 'double up' when it's offer time.

nextphase Thu 25-Apr-13 18:05:00

If somewhere I would shop normally, and offers value, loyalty points are a great extra. However I don't choose anything based on the points I'll get. I choose for value or service. if EON were to offer me the cheapest energy for more than a year, I'd stay with them. A few points won't persuade me to stay.

katiewalters Thu 25-Apr-13 19:12:28

i am a customer of eon, but im currently on the standard energy plan. i have been looking at the reward tarrifs to see if they would benefit me and save me money.
i would definately prefer to have the money off the bills, rather than nectar/tesco points.
i dont generally use loyalty schemes, apart from at places where i shop often, such as boots and sainsburys, as i get points, which i then use towards buying things so it saves me money, but it can take a while to save the points. its good when boots or sainsburys have double points events or vouchers to get double points on your shopping, or extra points on certain items, which i would buy anyway.
when i looked at the eon reward tarrif, it stated i would save money over the year, it wasnt a massive amount, but a saving is better than none. there was the fixed price tarrif , which i thought would be good, but when i enquired it worked out that if energy prices changed you wouldnt be effected, but for the summer months when you used less energy it wouldnt benefit you, so the non fixed price tarrif was the one i would go for, so i would essentially be paying less in the summer months.

sixp Thu 25-Apr-13 19:12:47

I quite like loyalty schemes as I feel like I'm getting something free! However, I hate all the different accompanying cards....

DTisMYdoctor Thu 25-Apr-13 19:29:49

We've been with Eon for a while and get tesco clubcard points - I don't think this is related to their reward tarrifs though as we've been getting them for several years.

I like reward schemes. We don't really get tesco clubcard points anywhere else, so the Eon points have been useful and paid for a few family days out. While reward points alone won't get my business, it two companies have comparable pricing then I will err towards a loyalty scheme. We've saved a fair bit in recent years collecting things like nectar points (converted to amazon vouchers), credit card loyalty points and using sites like topcashback.

I like getting rewards - we use them for treats like days out (clubcard points) or towards Christmas (nectar etc that are convertible to Amazon). Money off would probably disappear. That said, I wouldn't choose a more expensive product to get the rewards. Competitive pricing, customer service and value for money is also crucial.

TiredFeet Thu 25-Apr-13 19:33:55

I think for utility bills, loyalty rewards are the wrong way to go. I just want clarity and to know I am getting a fair price per unit. I think I would prefer money off to tesco points if I had to choose, but in all honesty reward schemes just make me wonder how unfair the pricing was to begin with. I would prefer a transparent system so it is easy to compare on a like for like basis

Gethsemane Thu 25-Apr-13 19:57:54

A loyalty scheme wouldn't be an incentive for me to join a company. I would just use whatever is cheapest. That said, I am not one to swap between companies (I can't be bothered with all the hassle), and if a company I was already using had a loyalty scheme I guess it would make me a bit less likely to move.
I'd rather tesco points as you can exchange them for some good things - more than their monetary value...

ClaraOswinOswald Thu 25-Apr-13 20:22:02

What do you think about loyalty reward schemes generally?
Loyalty schemes are a very small incentive- you never really get enough of a reward to make it worth your while. £10 after a year would be a tiny percentage of my bill so not really an incentive at all if other suppliers are cheaper.

What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?
I would opt for Tesco points as I trade them in for days out and get treble the value.

MrsBartlet Thu 25-Apr-13 20:39:20

Very keen on loyalty schemes and they do influence where I shop. I am particularly keen on Tesco clubcard scheme as we have had lots of treats, hotel breaks and holidays even that we wouldn't otherwise have had.

What do you think about E.ON rewards? Would you prefer money off your bill or Tesco points?

I would prefer the points and we are currently E.On customers for that very reason. However, having looked at the link I am not sure if we should be changing tariff or if we should just carry on as we are.

MrsIgglePiggle Thu 25-Apr-13 20:42:27

I love loyalty schemes, particularly Tesco clubcard. I always shop to maximise clubcard points and then use Clubcard Exchange to increase face value of vouchers.

E.ON, though, doesn't seem very inspiring. The reward is pretty minimal unless it was something like £50 in clubcard vouchers in the first year, then I wouldn't sign up or swap providers.

sharond101 Thu 25-Apr-13 20:51:06

If it's simple and I am using the service/store anyway I like it, When it gets confusing or I need to go out of my way for it I tend not to. FOr instance I love my Boots Advantage card but say no to Nectar.
I always choose the cheapest supplier and change supplier to get a better rate and I believe the switch would save me more money than the loyalty scheme. I would prefer money off than Tesco points.

EskSmith Thu 25-Apr-13 21:16:10

I hate loyalty schemes. A simple cheapest price guarantee would make me much more loyal, the fact that I have to be on my toes and check the best company and tariff yearly is annoying. A loyalty bonus would not entice me to stay - a cheapest price guarantee would. I also get very annoyed at dual fuel discounts as we aren't on the gas network.

EskSmith Thu 25-Apr-13 21:17:35

Meant to say I stayed with eon this year, simply as they were best value and opted for money off my bill.

Uzma01 Thu 25-Apr-13 22:00:57

There are some loyalty programmes that work out well for the consumer. I'm quite happy with Boots Advantage Card, The Body Shop LOver Your Body scheme and Nectar Card. Given that you can collect Nectar points from a lot of businesses it's easier to increase your points balance.

In terms of the E.ON rewards programme - I'm not sure there's a big enough incentive to go for any of those plans. I'd prefer money off to Clubcard points but given the cost of energy - they're not offering a decent discount and the cancellation charges don't seem fair.

McNo Thu 25-Apr-13 22:56:24

I like loyalty schemes as a principle, i currently use boots, superdrug, tesco and costa points.

The EON loyalty scheme doesn't seem to reward enough in terms of what a typical customer will spend ie £20 discount for 3 years loyalty with my average spend of £1000 a year is not enough to tempt me to switch suppliers.
I would prefer to be able to choose between money off or tesco points

RollingThunder Fri 26-Apr-13 06:39:17

I also like loyalty schemes but they rarely influence my behaviour. Also with something as expensive as utitilty bills - I would a) be suspicious that they were more expensive to make up for it and b) think its actually a very small reward - specially since you have to stay with them for 3 years to get £40 - an enegery supplier once offered me an £80 discount to stay with them, and it was still cheaper to switch.

I would be a bit suspicious that they were doing it - specially the 3 year thing, to make customers think they had a good deal and not check around for other prices.

jennycog12 Fri 26-Apr-13 09:30:37

They are a way of making the customer think they are getting something for nothing. The rewards are usually small in comparison to what you have spent with the company.

I did a quote with E.ON but it was about 3 times more expensive than my current provider so I am not enticed one bit. Of course, if the prices were more comparable, I would prefer money off my bill any day. The lower the bill, the better. Afterall, if you want money off your shopping, you can get Tesco points yourself. If I had just spent in a year what the quotation was, the reward is in comparison pathetic quite frankly. Poor effort to counter the plethora of price comparison sites now that encourage people to shop around for the very best deal. Energy companies customer services are not improved by them either... All in all, a poor offering but in comparison to other energy companies I guess that they are trying to differentiate themselves in the market. Why an energy company cann't act to reduce prices for their customers I don't know? They should be doing it automatically in my opinion.

Q1- in general I hate all the cards you have to carry for loyalty schemes, but I do like my free coffee/ boots points, so I have to carry them! I wish they could all be added to one card.

Q2- money off the bill as I don't live near a tesco to get club card points.

In general I would much prefer it if things were just cheaper with no loyalty stuff at all!

Roseformeplease Fri 26-Apr-13 10:45:37

Loyalty reward schemes are a good ideal ONLY if the getting of the rewards is painless and is not used by companies as a substitute for good value. I use Boots Advantage and really like the way it is simple, transparent and easy to use. However, other schemes are more complex. For example, the Body Shop equivalent gives a 10% discount but has to be stamped and gives a range of other offers. This is fine, but much harder to manage / get the best out of. I use a Tesco clubcard but think the silly paper vouchers are a waste of their time and money. Why not just put the discounts on the card? Also, our nearest Tesco is a long way away and they have recently cleared and caused huge environmental damage to a site and then decided to delay building for years, even though locals want the shop. So, not my favourite company. If I were to use a scheme with an electricity company, I would want flexibility in how I get the rewards - not just Tesco.

I think, however, on balance, money off would be better but the amounts EON is offering are minute. Also, the dual fuel options wind me up as so many of us don't have mains gas and will never have mains gas so a huge sector of the market is not open to rural customers.

What I really want is the best kind of value for money and loyalty schemes that are easy to cope with and genuinely rewarding, not just the odd tenner.

domesticslattern Fri 26-Apr-13 10:46:28

Q1- I have about fifteen different loyalty cards and it drives me bonkers. I hate carrying them, often forget them etc.After a while you think, is this worth the hassle? Boots is the best, plus the credit card points. Some others are very stingy or hard to understand.
Q2- I would not say this was a particular attractive scheme given the overall cost of bills. It might be a bit of a perk if I was with eon anyway. <checks, oh actually we are- but we move provider a lot chasing best deals- though these can be v hard to calculate>. Cash is better than club card vouchers as we don't have a tesco club card.

Lent1l Fri 26-Apr-13 11:03:13

Some loyalty reward schemes are great. Boots is fantastic, really good value and easy to rack up those points to treat myself or use for the essentials when I'm having a bad money month. However, like many other people on here I think that for things like energy companies there is little point. I compare costs, and getting possibly £40 as a reward against a potential saving of over £100 if I change provide just doesn't add up. I've changed providers a couple of times now to save money and the process is not difficult.

Gerneally I think loyalty schemes don't really "buy" loyalty, as most of us belong to all of them, carrying around a dozen cards so once we've found where something is cheapest we then use the assocaited loyatly card.

I think rather than offering money off in this way why can't they just make the bills cheaper? I'm not sure which I would choose. £10 off against an average bill of £1200 a year doesn't really make a dent but as others have said you can often swap Tesco vouchers so that they are worth more than face value.

Companies are out to make profit for themselves, loyalty cards are ways to help keep customers, get data back on purchases etc. Do use them in places that offer them when it makes sense to do so and pay using a credit card which gives me extra points too. Generally do rack up a few hundred pounds of points so there is some benefits but use with care and consider what gives the best value.

E.ON Rewards and what to get back - utilities are big items that can't be switched day to day but would prefer these Companies are more open and honest, often you can get a better deal as a new customer rather than being given a few token incentives. Personally would prefer money as rarely use Tesco. Need an 'Aldi' like supplier in the energy market that delivers simple good honest service and clear pricing, after all gas is gas and electric comes at 240v!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now