Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Would you show this video to your child? Watch a short film about some of the dangers teenagers may face if they run away from home and tell us what you think. £2 donation from Aviva to Railway Children for every watch/ comment

(110 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 10-Apr-13 09:44:41

Railway Children have shared this video which illustrates a shocking story of what can happen to a teenager if they run away & spend time alone on UK streets. Many do make it back home safely but some end up in very different situations, forced to take huge risks in order to survive.

As part of our campaign with charity Railway Children & Aviva - to raise awareness of the fact that one child is estimated to run away from home every five minutes in the UK - we'd like as many MNers as possible to watch the video then post what you think of it on this thread:

~ Would you share it with your teenage DC (if you have one/will have one soon!)?
~ Would you use it as a conversation starter about the topic of running away from home?
~ This has been classified as Cert 15 for cinema use, do you agree? At what age do you think it would be appropriate for children to see it?
~ Do you think the video should be shown at school?

For every view of the video and for every comment* Aviva will donate £2 to Railway Children.

Here's the film

Sadly, having a child run away from home is much more common that you think. It is estimated that one child runs away from home or care in the UK every five minutes - that amounts to 100,000 each year. Railway Children exists to not only help provide safety and support for these children but also to help educate young people on the risks and alternatives to running away from home, to prevent more from doing so.

If you would like to sign up to receive more information from Railway Children, you can do that here and this too will trigger an additional donation from Aviva.

If you've got any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
MNHQ

*At least 90 seconds.

RebekahF Sun 28-Apr-13 17:26:33

Any conversation starter is good in my opinion but I am not sure it would be explicit enough for some teenagers. I am not sure the answer is to make it more explicit but perhaps some more written messages during or after the video may provide some explanation and guidance to the watcher. I wonder also if some teenagers may feel patronised/stigmatised by this as it follows a very particular narrative and one which is often told about them. I appreciate it happens and I am not sure how to illustrate it differently but having worked in homelessness the first lesson I learnt is that we are all so close to being in that situation and it may help to show a bit more of the start of the story not just the consequences. This may also help teenagers watching feel more understood and not simply threaten with consequences.

dahville Tue 30-Apr-13 12:45:59

~ Would you share it with your teenage DC (if you have one/will have one soon!)?

I think it's fine to show a teenager and ask them what they think about it. I find setting it to music makes it too video-y and some of the message is lost

~ Would you use it as a conversation starter about the topic of running away from home?

I'd use it for general conversation

~ This has been classified as Cert 15 for cinema use, do you agree? At what age do you think it would be appropriate for children to see it?

Any child over 13 could view this, Cert 15 for the cinema is fine.

It would be up to each but as a parent I would not object.

Would you share it with your teenage DC (if you have one/will have one soon!)? Yes, i'd be happy to, but there are more hard hitting/frank videos I'd also show

~ Would you use it as a conversation starter about the topic of running away from home? Yes

~ This has been classified as Cert 15 for cinema use, do you agree? At what age do you think it would be appropriate for children to see it? I think that at age 15, something much more graphic would be more useful - the Ed Sheeran A Team video for example is more hard-hitting than this, although the invisibility/ gradually losing herself concept is a good one

~ Do you think the video should be shown at school? Yes, along with others. I agree with others who have posted about a boys version too

Mems Sat 04-May-13 11:47:56

Share with teenage DC - I watched it with DD2, 15 - we both thought it was going to be about what Railway Children do to help kids on the street in a practical way. Once we'd watched, DD2 wanted to know more of the back story as to why she's run away, also pointing out that some kids feel they have no choice, etc. & she said it was all a bit predictable "girl on streets ends up as prostitute". I felt it was a bit sanitised.
Conversation starter - we did have a chat about it but more on the why rather than what will happen when they do. DD2 said she'd be more interested if they concentrated on the reasons kids run away and that info on where they can get help, etc would be more useful.
Cert 15 - DD2 thinks it's more a 12 cert - tho did acknowledge that the last scene would probably set some adults chuntering.
Shown at school? - it's the sort of video they get shown in PHSE to promote discussion and awareness.

We both loved the music tho!

britney92 Sat 04-May-13 20:00:13

I was surprised it was a 15 as i thought it looked more like a ghetto chic pop video and certainly the teenagers i have come across at that age watch a lot more disturbing films than that. I think i myself watched trainspotting at a much younger age than 15. In some parts i think it would glamorise some aspects of running away as she looked way to clean and having fun in the underground club. I think it's more aimed at a 12 to 14 audience as it didn't have a impact on my 16 yr old or his friends that I watched it with.

tripleweetabix Thu 30-May-13 15:42:22

I think the figures are shocking wrt number of kids running away from home especially girls. The video needs to be more hard hitting to highlight the awful dangers out there ..

Lweji Fri 12-Jul-13 09:49:13

As adult, considered intelligent and knowing what it was about, I didn't think the message was clear at all.
The first time there's a hint is when she's begging, but then it seems to easy that she's getting help, then the drugs are not that obvious and there are no consequences to them (no arrests, no physical degradation).
Only the final scene may hit home, with the prostitution.

The music was not sufficiently grim either. It was somewhat uplifting. confused

hjmiller Wed 17-Jul-13 10:39:21

What about highlighting the dangers boys face? I think this is very focused towards girls, showing in schools may be beneficial but there should be something geared towards boys too, as at that age they may think only girls are at risk

RedRoseMummy Wed 17-Jul-13 15:55:13

N/A

My children are too young at the moment but I would definitely use a video like this to start a conversation when they are older.

I think secondary school age children should be able to see this video. It isn't especially gritty and the smile as she inhales the heroin could be argued that it looks like she is really enjoying it! I think it could be used as a discussion point, perhaps in PHSE in schools, with supporting discussion to ensure that the children and young people actually fully understand what is happening in the video and the possible consequences of leaving home

Absolutely, but with supporting discussion in a classroom environment.

Letitsnow9 Thu 18-Jul-13 16:03:55

~ Would you share it with your teenage DC (if you have one/will have one soon!)? Yes
~ Would you use it as a conversation starter about the topic of running away from home? Yes
~ This has been classified as Cert 15 for cinema use, do you agree? At what age do you think it would be appropriate for children to see it? 12, if a child is too young it will go over their head rather than be upsetting
Should be shown in schools with more hard fact info and also places to go for real help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now