This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Tell Clarks about your child's first steps and be in with a chance of winning a £100 voucher

(251 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:32:42

Clarks have just released their latest First Shoes range here and to coincide they would love to hear about your DCs first steps.

So what do you remember about your child(ren)s first attempts to negotiate the world on two feet?

~ How old were they?

~ Do you remember where you were at the time?

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on?

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!?

Everyone who shares their thoughts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win a £100 Clarks voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

GaryBuseysTeeth Wed 20-Mar-13 16:50:31

DS was 8 months, took 3 steps.
I was sitting on the floor next to him.
He walked, roughly, once a week for the next four months...only ever infront of me, everyone pulled a hmm face whenever I mentioned he'd walked again.
Finally started walking properly at 13months, then stopped again for 3 weeks, now you can't stop him!
I miss him being my little newborn, but look forward to him growing up...but still <waaaaah> my baby!

HerrenaHarridan Wed 20-Mar-13 17:04:24

My ds took her first steps into the sea!

I was told she would probably never walk and it was sheer unbridled joy to see.

firawla Wed 20-Mar-13 17:06:33

ds1 1st steps was 14 months then 15.5 months he started walking. remember being really impatient for him to start walking and it was great when he did! 1st steps was at my sils house

ds2 took even longer!! he started first steps around 18.5 months then didnt walk properly til 20, was amazing when he walked cos he does have a lot of delays generally so always really proud when he achieves!

ds3 was my youngest one, he walked at just turned 14 months. which is not particularly early but compared to the others it was so i felt like hes a genius! he didnt really do first steps then take ages, i just one day spotted him out the corner of my eye walking across the room!!

shoes wise the main problem i remember is that ds2 as he was a late walker and also quite a big baby, we were not able to get him any cruiser shoes at all. had been adviced get them and see if it helps him but his feet was too big, and they wouldnt fit for 1st walking shoes if he cant walk, so we had to keep him in those thin leather shoes things for ages

KindleMum Wed 20-Mar-13 17:08:45

DS didn't walk til 18 months, he'd been slow to crawl and his first steps were on holiday in the art galleries and museums of Vienna. He loved it, no toddler boredom while we did the culture vulture thing as the long galleries were perfect for him to practise walking.

DD was walking at 10 months, she'd crawled early and took to walking really fast. Total opposites.

MrsWolowitz Wed 20-Mar-13 17:08:59

My eldest daughter (now 4) was 11 months and toddled over to my Dad. He was over the moon that he was the first person she walked to! My identical twins (now 2) walked a month apart. One twin walked at 16 months and the other twin walked at 17 months. They both walked to me whilst cruising around the furniture in my living room.

It was exciting each time one walked. Especially the twins as they were that much later than their peers to walk. Now they're running around all the time!

My eldest was keen to get walking and running as soon as possible but both twins were happy to ride around in a pushchair until about 6 months ago. It's quite a handful having a toddler who needs her hand holding and two little ones on reins! Wouldn't change it for the world though - lovely little urchins!

WowOoo Wed 20-Mar-13 17:27:22

~ How old were they?
Ds1 was 10 months.
Ds2 was 12 months.

~ Do you remember where you were at the time?

I can only remember ds1 because we recorded some of the early first steps. We were at home.
Can't remember with Ds2.

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on?
Ds1 was a whirlwind and was unstoppable. Ds2 also but a bit more tentative than ds1.

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!?

I wasn't thrilled like other mums suggested I should be because I thought the crawling stage would go on for much longer.
It suddenly got very hard! It was much sooner than I'd expected. But I soon got used to it.

WildThongsEggHunt Wed 20-Mar-13 17:37:14

My DS ( now a hulking great 14 yo) was quite a late walker at 21 months but my could he go fast on all fours. Unfortunately he preferred crawling backwards, usually at 100mph, which was hilarious until the inevitable collision!
I still remember as clear as yesterday the day he pulled himself up using the edge of the sofa and just stood there grinning at me..and we never looked back from then.
Oh happy days sad they're over.

BoysWillGrow Wed 20-Mar-13 17:38:40

My first was the day after his first birthday. We were at home and it was a lot of practice to help him do it, I think you tend to do that with your first as you feel that's what they should be doing. We were so proud when he took his first steps. After his first few steps on his own, that was that really, he didn't need help again.

gazzalw Wed 20-Mar-13 17:40:28

-DD was 13 months old and took her first proper steps (about fifteen of them) twixt me and her brother on Christmas Day! That was the loveliest pressie ever really. Her face was a picture - so happy with herself!

DS was very slow to walk - nearly 20 months. Afraid he was with a childminder when the started walking but then we couldn't stop him. It was a bit of a shock when he'd been so sedentary for so long!

- Both were up and off as soon as they could walk and as a car-free family they still walk a lot now! j

- Once they'd mastered the art of walking, getting them to sit tight in a buggy became very, very difficult. DD in particular used to take an hour doing the walk to school to collect big brother! So it was a mixed blessing really!

They moan about walking now though!

Hanginggardenofboobylon Wed 20-Mar-13 17:41:40

DS was 15 months when he took his first unsteady steps, it was during the summer so it was lovely to see him toddling round the garden.
I remember wishing he would walk and then when he could wishing I could leave him for 5 mins as he was chaos and injury prone for a while.
I was very excited about getting his first shoes and have kept the picture from Clarks. I didn't have him in anything other than leather slippers until he was walking.
He used to say 'go go go' when he set off!

missorinoco Wed 20-Mar-13 17:45:50

How old were they? Eighteen months and nineteen months - my thought was finally! And for the one year old I laughed. She couldn't be bothered top move for ages, then when she did, decided crawling was over-rated and moved on to walking within a month.

They can't get up to anything more walking than they can crawling, but it does make the school run slower.

BonzoDooDah Wed 20-Mar-13 17:49:22

DD was 14 months old, can't remember where or when specifically. She did cling on to the furniture for a while then suddenly got the hang of it.

I knew life sitting drinking coffee with friends was then officially over sad

EauRouge Wed 20-Mar-13 17:50:28

DD1 was only 10 months, she couldn't wait to get going- I remember taking her out with a massive black eye and being paranoid someone would call social services blush but all the comments I got were along the lines of 'just learning to walk?'. I've got a lovely video of her on our first holiday toddling around the grounds of Glasto Abbey and falling over laughing in the grass.

DD2 learnt to walk at 13 months, on my dad's birthday. It was a lovely present for him to see his granddaughter's first steps.

BonzoDooDah Wed 20-Mar-13 17:50:48

DS was 7 months old when he first stood up. I was horrified! No way should he be walking.
Fortunaltely he just stood and cruised for FOUR months and only walked at 11 months old. by then I was resigned to life on the trot after a gormless baby on legs.

HippiTEEHoppoTEE Wed 20-Mar-13 17:52:29

Here, see for yourself!

Not his very first steps, but the first on camera. He was 16 months when this was taken. I think he started about a month before.

He was pretty keen, having never really crawled.

I was ecstatic!

grin

chocoflump Wed 20-Mar-13 17:59:43

My son was a later walker, he didn't take his first steps until one week before he turned 18 months!!

I was at work, he done it at my mums house and she phoned to tell me, I burst into tears because I missed it! He walked around her house all that afternoon then when I came to pick him up he showed me and I was do proud! I took him home and he refused to walk in our house! Eventually he realised that walking in our house was no different to walking in granny's!

It may have taken him longer than others but that doesn't take away from the fact that I was super proud!! smile

Bananasinfadedpjs Wed 20-Mar-13 18:04:32

DD1 was 19 months. It was in our living room and I had been encouraging her for days to try and walk to me, but she was a bit wary. Then she finally took the plunge. She went straight from the first few steps to walking confidently, pretty much never fell over, was very steady - but she had been walking holding one hand for months and months, she just needed the confidence.
I was very proud of her.

DD2 was 16 months, in our living room again. She was similar to DD2, very steady once she started walking, but slow to have the confidence to try.
I was proud of her too.

They both went to walking outside, and walking reasonably long distances very soon after starting walking, which I think is probably related to the fact that they were on the late side with starting in the first place.

smileyhappymummy Wed 20-Mar-13 18:07:50

Dd1 took her first steps just after her first birthday. We were at the beach - beautiful, flat and empty and she spent all afternoon going further and further. Loved watching her

DD took her first steps about a week before her first birthday. She had been watching her little friend and decided to have a go. We were in our living room and she just took off and did about 4 steps. She was so traumatised by it she refused to walk alone for another 2 months, just insisted on holding onto either a finger or furniture!

I was really excited for DD, but had a little cry later as it seemed like she wasn't my tiny baby anymore. Pathetic I know!

Kveta Wed 20-Mar-13 18:09:43

DS was pulling himself to his feet and cruising at 5 months, it was ridiculous. Luckily he then took 4 months to take a step without holding on to anything, but he was running by 10 months. And hasn't stopped since. His first shoes were Clark's doodles - little blue canvas t bars, they were just gorgeous.

DD has just turned 9 months, and we thought she would be much slower to walk than DS, because she didn't pull herself to her feet until about 7 months. She is cruising the furniture now, and mostly doing it one handed, so I'm still optimistic that she won't walk for a while yet, but suspect she will by a year.

They both crawled bang on 7 months and 10 days, but I don't know exactly how old DS was when he took his first step, or if it was even for me. He just did everything so fast, and never slept, so his first year was a blur. We have to look at photos to see what he did and when! We have some of him pulling himself to his feet at 21 weeks, which is crazy. Luckily he has settled in to being utterly ordinary now he's 3.6 though.

Boggler Wed 20-Mar-13 18:42:23

My ds(8) wasn't too keen on walking probably because he was such a proficient crawler! So he wasn't tempted to take his first proper steps until he was 16 months even then if he was in a hurry he reverted to crawling.

PastaBeeandCheese Wed 20-Mar-13 18:53:14

Still waiting. DD is 16 months so it's good to see plenty if other children taking their first steps a bit later on this thread. She has to wear shoes for nursery so has pre walkers for outside and little canvas cruisers for indoors. She adores them. Just wish she'd let go of my hand and take a few steps now!

MrsMarigold Wed 20-Mar-13 19:06:34

I think my DS took his first steps on his first birthday but I was so tired, (I was pregnant with DD), I can't be 100% sure. I was dozing on the bed and he was playing on the floor and I think he toddled over but the memory is hazy. Two days later he confidently walked across the kitchen and he has never sat still since.

CheeryChickChickChickChicken Wed 20-Mar-13 19:24:40

DS walked finally at 17 months, took his first steps at my friend's house. We were thrilled!
DD1 walked just 6 months later...there's a year between them... took her first steps at the same friend's house! We were impressed!
DD2 took her first steps at home at about 14 months old (my friend had moved house by then), but would only do a few steps for me, not in front of anyone else. This went on for several weeks, didn't show DH for what seemed like ages. It was funny!
I always loved it when they started walking, made them so independent and life so much easier for me.

FEEdec Wed 20-Mar-13 19:28:37

My son took his first steps, 3 days after his first birthday. I was at a Christmas tree festival in a local church with some friends and their little ones. We'd been trying to get all 4 kids to sit for a picture but gave up as it was like herding cats when my son suddenly turned and did 3 big steps into my arms. I shouted 'oh my god' and scooped him up for a big cuddle- it was such a happy surprise that I got a bit emotional and welled up! Of course everyone in the church knew what had happened because of my big mouth!

My friends (who's boy's were a couple of months older) said he may not do anymore steps for a while, but he really took off and hasn't stopped since. He's 15months now and rarely sits still, instead he seems to run everywhere!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now