This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Tell Clarks about your child's first steps and be in with a chance of winning a £100 voucher

(251 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:32:42

Clarks have just released their latest First Shoes range here and to coincide they would love to hear about your DCs first steps.

So what do you remember about your child(ren)s first attempts to negotiate the world on two feet?

~ How old were they?

~ Do you remember where you were at the time?

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on?

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!?

Everyone who shares their thoughts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win a £100 Clarks voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Nigglenaggle Wed 20-Mar-13 21:33:08

DS took his first steps AGES ago (he is just over a year) and has still not moved on from that!! He still cruises rather than stepping out except for the tiniest of gaps when he will do one or two steps inbetween. The first time was in our living room, we had been waiting for him to walk for ages. We are still waiting really!! But every time he does a few steps I am so proud, even though he is taking his time.

KittieCat Wed 20-Mar-13 21:49:06

DS was just turned 12 months when he took his first steps. It was particularly memorable as it was on Christmas Day and even more special as my parents were with us to see.

It still brings a tear to my eye when I remember him wobbling across the living room. Not least as I recall the fear that he might not only hit the decks but also that he might take the Christmas tree down with him!

Once he started he was off, there was no hanging around.

We were all overjoyed that we were there to watch but I then had an awful realisation that our home was NOT toddler proof.

It seems like only yesterday although it was now over a year ago. I'm firmly in denial that my baby is growing up!

notcitrus Wed 20-Mar-13 21:51:12

Ds did standing and cruising but took his first unaided steps pretty much as soon as everyone left after his first birthday party, and was immediately confident. We ran out of high shelves to put things on as he very quickly figured out standing on a stool.

Dd is 13mo, expert at standing with hardly any leaning on anything, but apart from shuffling a couple steps isn't walking. She's staring a lot at a couple babies at nursery who have just learnt to walk since she started, though.

Pandemoniumwearspurpleshoes Wed 20-Mar-13 21:53:10

DS took his first steps at 13 months, walking between my parents. I have a lovely video clip on my phone of him walking across the living room, giggling after every couple of steps, due to being so pleased with himself. There was no stopping him after that! I've just got him his first shoes and he is enjoying make lots of noise as he walks now.

DS walked at 10 months, and his feet were too small for shoes at a size 2D!
He finally fit some proper shoes 6 months later when he hit size 3.

DS was 14mo, and was a very confident climber but had had no interest in walking. He'd had his first trip to A&E that day after an ascent on the coffee table ended up in a head first dive onto the floor boards.
That evening, he took his first steps - as if the head bump had connected the wires!
He never wanted us to hold his hands to steady him, always did it on his own. He goes at his own speed, hasn't really run still, but he will when he's ready!

Welovegrapes Wed 20-Mar-13 22:32:37

14 months, in the garden, in front of a very proud pair of grandparents!!!

ClaraOswinOswald Wed 20-Mar-13 22:45:34

DD1 walked at 10 months. When she got her first shoes she kept falling over because she would lift her feet to have a good look at them. smile

DD2 walked at 12 months, felt wet grass between her toes (we were camping) and didn't try again for weeks.

starfishmummy Wed 20-Mar-13 22:49:04

DS was 7. He has disabilities and we were told he would probably never walk. He cruised the furniture for a while and had his own little zimmer frame. Then one evening when we were on holiday, we were sitting in the cottage garden and he decided he could do it by himself!.
We were so proud of him. (Still are)

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 20-Mar-13 23:05:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welovegrapes Wed 20-Mar-13 23:15:19

Oh starfish mummy, that is so lovely

sarahbanshee Wed 20-Mar-13 23:25:32

My son - now 4 - took his first steps on the evening of the day I went back to work, when he was 11 months. His dad and I were getting him ready for bed when he suddenly walked right across the room to me and gave me a huge hug. grin

My daughter took her first steps a few weeks ago at 14 months. She has been walking with hands held or pushing a walker for ages but is more cautious than her brother was about letting go - but at a friend's child's birthday party she found herself with a balloon in one hand and a cake in the other, and so, unwilling to relinquish either, she had no choice but to walk. And so she did.

ceeveebee Wed 20-Mar-13 23:32:08

Some lovely stories on here

My DTs are 16 mo and DTD has been walking for a few weeks, took her first steps at 14 mo and is pretty much running now. She's so tiny, was 3lb13 at birth and still in 6-9 month clothes now with litte spindly legs- she looks like a very tiny baby stomping around in her new shoes!

DTS started cruising at 10 months but not taken his first step yet. He's very cautious and a fast crawler so think he'll just take his time. And anyway, DTD loves to ride on his back like a pony so she won't be able to do that if he's on his feet!

Hopezibah Thu 21-Mar-13 00:00:13

~ How old were they? My eldest was around 14 months. My second son was about the same and my baby girl is just learning to cruise now.

~ Do you remember where you were at the time? We were at home and tried to encourage him by blowing bubbles to see if he would walk to try to catch them. We also had a wedding to go to as he was learning those early steps and that was interesting to see him want to be on the move instead of sitting still. With second child, also in living room at home and mummy and daddy held out arms for him to 'fall' into as he learnt to walk.

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on? Both boys seemed to be slow at first compared to their peers and for a while found it quicker to speedily crawl around even once they could walk.

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!?
Really pleased with all of them as it is a sign of them learning, developing and growing up. We went for the first shoe fitting at clarks and it was a really special occasion getting the photo taken and I remember my son climbing all over those foot measuring stool things.

When my middle son learnt to go up steps, we used to say to him "Be careful, mind you don't fall" and he used to reply 'ok, i will' (meaning i will be careful - but we were worried in case he meant ok i will fall!!).

BubblesAndBeans Thu 21-Mar-13 02:12:06

DD tried and fell over a lot leading up to her first birthday. She would use the dining chairs as props and push them around while practising a few wobbly steps. Just after her first birthday, it all of a sudden clicked and she started walking as if she had never done anything else in her life. We havent sat down much since smile. Now at 14 months, she is happiest when she can walk around freely, exploring the world.

pussinwellyboots Thu 21-Mar-13 05:35:24

Ds1 waited until he was 18 months before he walked. He had been ready to walk for a while but is of the personality not to do something until he is sure that he can. So he went from crawling to running in a day. It was the week before Christmas so we were delighted that the family would get to see him walking.

My DS took his first steps the week after his first birthday not towards either of his parents but reaching out, desperate for the remote control! It all happened so fast, it was quite surreal! We were both beaming with pride desperate to tell everyone and anyone!

PukeCatcher Thu 21-Mar-13 07:27:51

My DD was 12 months and she took one single step last weekend at grandma's, so we were all there to see it. She hasn't attempted it since though, I think she scared herself a bit! It was a blink and you'll miss it moment, she was trying to grab grandads cup.

DD sat and watched toddlers walk around her as she approached 11 months, but showed no inclination to join them, then one day (around 11 months old) she just stood up and walked clear across the roomshock. From then on she was a steady walker.

wonkylegs Thu 21-Mar-13 09:05:50

DS was 10mths when he took his first steps.
We were in the bathroom running him a bath and he'd hauled himself up to stand next to dad who was running the bath. I was in the doorway faffing with the video camera as I wanted a video of him having a bath with both of us there (a rare thing).
Suddenly he turned around and decided to come and see what mummy was doing and tottered across the room. Even managed to capture it on camera, with my completely astonished shriek in the background.grin
He'd only commando crawled up to this point but once he worked it out there was no stopping him.
Starting walking so early was a blessing and a curse. I have a mobility disability so carrying him everywhere was difficult, toddling really helped take the pressure off but he absolutely no sense of danger. Walking very quickly progressed to climbing. Cots & stairgates were seen as a challenge rather than a restriction and so we had to quickly progress to other methods of keeping him safe. We also found out very quickly we had a sleepwalker grin.

janey223 Thu 21-Mar-13 09:23:09

DS starting taking the odd couple of steps at 9m between things to hold on to!

At 10 months he got up and walked across the room then crawled away really quickly giggling!

He crawled mostly except new places then we went on holiday when he was 11m and he stopped crawling completely.

He's an escape artist, couldn't even get a first shoes picture at clarks hmm

FrillyMilly Thu 21-Mar-13 09:36:37

This totally outs me to anyone that knows me! My daughter was 16 months when she took her first steps. We were at a friends daughters 1st birthday party. She just got up and walked across the room. We were totally taken by surprise and everyone cheered her.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 21-Mar-13 09:44:46

~ How old were they? Well, I'm not exactly sure. One of them walked a few days before their first birthday, and the other a few days after. Because I am clearly the worst mother in the world grin I can't remember which one did which.

~ Do you remember where you were at the time? Oh yes. Funnily enough, they both chose the same place. By the patio doors in the kitchen.

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on? Legged it. grin both of them. My eldest was a bum shuffler and my youngest was a crawler. But they both found their feet and never looked back.

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!? I don't really remember how I felt. (even worse mother!) I imagine I was chuffed for them. That's the normal reaction, I think.

DD started walking at 12 mths, DS, who was a little more heavily built, at 15 mths.
I remember DD walking quite a few steps with a little walker truck with bricks in at my parents house, the walker truck was a present from them and grandpa had varnished it specially. Happy memories !
BTW When DD started crawling she could only go backwards at first, and got herself stuck under the kitchen table - before I went and rescued her smile

haveapear Thu 21-Mar-13 09:58:07

Dd1 first walked at 18 months, we were much relieved she has flat feet so I don't know if that held her back. It was in a park on a beautiful sunny day. I suspect she was walking in secret though whenever my back was turned because her first steps were very accomplished

Dd 2 - haven't the foggiest confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now