This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED If parents ruled the world…what would make it into your 'Mummyfesto'? Share your thoughts and win £200 Love2shop voucher

(205 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Feb-13 12:21:22

To celebrate the launch of the new book, The Mummyfesto by Linda Green, we'd like to know what issues Mumsnetters would campaign for if parents were in charge.

Here's what the publishers of The Mummyfesto say: "Issues affecting and surrounding parents don't often come to the forefront of the political agenda - a recent survey by 23snaps revealed that 46% of parents don't think family issues get much attention from politicians. This is addressed in The Mummyfesto, a new book by Linda Green, in which three mums who campaign to save their local lollipop lady from redundancy discover that they are rather good at it."

So what would you like to see in world where parents are in charge? This can be anything from free childcare to Mumsnet replacing the House of Lords. We'd love to hear what you think - if parents ruled the world, how would we make it better? It could be something small and local or big and national, silly or deadly serious. Time to get creative!

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

ChocolateCoins Tue 05-Mar-13 14:30:56

I would make it illegal for baby food companies to advertise their products as being suitable for 4months+. Especially the ones that contain dairy and gulten, as even if you ignore the 6month weaning guideline, babies shouldn't have dairy or gluten before 6 months! It's very misleading if you don't read the ingredients. I don't know how they get away with it.

ChocolateCoins Tue 05-Mar-13 14:32:15

Oh and increase paternity leave to 6 weeks.

Bearwantsmore Tue 05-Mar-13 16:13:52

I'm with Wigeon - er... as far as I'm aware, most of the current world leaders ARE parents.

And yes, yuck yuck yuck to the title. I can't even bring myself to write it.

I am also irrationally cross at the whole premise: the women in the book campaigned to save the lollypop lady and were "surprisingly good at it"!?! Why on earth wouldn't they be? When will women who also happen to be mothers (I.e. a large proportion of the population) stop being defined just by being "a mummy"? This doesn't happen to men and MN HQ I am ashamed of you for perpetuating this!

Aaargh sorry I need to take a deep breath!

Bearwantsmore Tue 05-Mar-13 16:15:29

Sorry, just realised JumpHerRoo has already made my point and more eloquently too. Still, I think it's worth repeating!

badweekend Tue 05-Mar-13 16:55:19

1) Parents (albeit 'daddies', not 'mummies') do retty much rule the world.

2) The book actually sounds really interesting, about campaigning, direct action etc but 'mummyfesto'? I wouldn't be caught dead reading it or having ot on my shelf for the ridiculous title alone.

badweekend Tue 05-Mar-13 16:56:18

Just read back to see many agree with me. What a shame about the title and silly thread...

1. Affordable childcare for those wanting to return to work.
2. Make housing affordable so women who are SAHM's are not forced back to work earlier than wanted.
3. Minimum wage should be increase to a living wage.
4. More money pumped into NHS
5. More support for parents of children with SN
6. All parents to receive access to a free first aid course.
7. Free after school sports for children

StellaMarie Wed 06-Mar-13 14:36:57

Free access to cooking classes to enable parents to better feed their children on a budget.
Better access to funding for parents of SN children.
More assistance to help young carers so that they don't fall behind in their education.

Jonno94 Wed 06-Mar-13 14:58:23

yes good idea about GP surgeries

kslatts Wed 06-Mar-13 17:42:28

Not sure why so many people take offence to Mummyfesto because it's sexist but not to Mumsnet.

More youth clubs.
Bring back the nit lady in schools.

BIWI Wed 06-Mar-13 18:23:01

It's not so much about it being sexist (although it is - as it excludes 'daddies' by definition - Mumsnet at least has the strapline 'by parents - for parents'), it's about it being hugely patronising. 'Mummy' is a term used by little children. It's hardly about taking women as parents seriously.

BambieO Wed 06-Mar-13 20:34:01

All chemists to be 24 hours, a godsend if you or your loved ones get sick. Most close which is a pain

nailak Wed 06-Mar-13 20:57:08

more spaces for pushchairs on buses, with the windows at toddler level

lottytheladybird Wed 06-Mar-13 22:04:18

Baby & Parent parking spaces should be in every public car park. Anyone who mis-uses them (i.e. those without babies!!!) should be fined!

pootlebug Thu 07-Mar-13 08:03:29

kslatts - I don't take offence to Mummyfesto on the grounds of being sexist, I just think it is horribly twee. There's no way I'd buy/read a book with that on the front.

LaalRatty Thu 07-Mar-13 12:00:59

Make all companies pay a living wage rather than minimum wage.

LaalRatty Thu 07-Mar-13 12:07:26

I also want to get my post before 2-3pm. I remember my mum being able to get an important letter before heading out for work and being able to post all the relevant stuff back on her way into work. All before 8.30 am! shock Now you don't get your post the next day anyway and even if you do you have no hope of replying to it until the next day...

LaalRatty Thu 07-Mar-13 12:13:23

Ban sweets, chocs and fizzy drinks from near the checkout at supermarkets. Limit the frequency of dress up days at school.

florencebabyjo Thu 07-Mar-13 12:14:57

That every child has the opportunity to appreciate the world in which they live, to grow food and flowers in their gardens or window boxes and have the chance to run wild in the open air, be it the forest or the sea. To know the pleasure of cooking on a campfire in the dark and the wonder of watching the stars.

LaalRatty Thu 07-Mar-13 12:24:16

Dons hardhat.
Make cars impossible to operate if your key doesn't contain the info that you have insurance, road tax etc. Don't increase insurance but have restrictions on experience and limitation on engine size. If you're seventeen and want to drive anything over 100 horsepower then the advance test should be taken. Ban 4x4's unless you are actually a farmer or builder. That one day a year when you may need to drive through a bit of snow doesn't count imo. grin

Teaandflapjacks Thu 07-Mar-13 17:51:58

I have read all the comments here with interest. I live in germany and a lot of the wishes actually already fully exist here - maternity/paternity care up to 14 months can be completely split however you like - normally the Mum takes 12 months, and the Dad the last 2 up to 14 months. There are kindergartens here for everyone (at least in the city I live in), and very nice they are too. The state schools are excellent - private schools are rare, unless you look at international schools really. Tax breaks are given to parents, and to married couples (and they are looking to update the rights to civil partnerships currently). It is a very different way of life.

If I would add anything, I would say that we should all be a bit more grateful for what we have, and pass this on to our children. There is ALWAYS someone who earns more, has more, is quicker etc, but there is ALWAYS someone much worse off too. If people remembered this more, and were less 'it's my right!' about things, the world would be a better place.

Personally, I find the title completely fine - how is being a Mummy patronising? You are a Mummy. Personally, I really cherish the word Mummy, as I live abroad, and when my little one finally sees the world, I want them to use this for me, and not the german term - it is my link with my homeland. Be proud of being Mummys! It is a very hard job! And as far as I can see Jane has commented the book is about women (not read it) - why would she comment on Dad's in it? No less of an issue - but what about Man and Boy - no-one said 'oh how patronising'! Surely this is about what bothers Mums - not Dads or Parents?

ataraxia Thu 07-Mar-13 19:39:26

Subsidized childcare centres and before/after school clubs closely linked to schools and schemes to encourage good quality staff at them e.g. a TeachFirst style scheme to encourage graduates

HelpOneAnother Fri 08-Mar-13 12:21:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrGarnettsWinterMixture Fri 08-Mar-13 15:16:27

- Subsidised, good quality childcare available to all, with tax relief on fees

- A mother's help service available for the first three months with a new baby (5-10 hours a week?) so that new mums get a bit of looking after themselves, or enough time to shower and dress/have a nap knowing that someone is watching the baby

- A umbrella library at train stations, where you could just borrow one if it's raining and return it to any station once it has stopped

- Flexible working becoming normal for everyone, not just parents. Why do schools and offices all generally start around 9.00? It just means we all get stuck in the same traffic jam!

- More of a sense of community and partnership around raising children, with a general understanding that most people are trying to help, not upset you and your children

- Greater security for tenants in any rented property

- Actual support for breastfeeding, not just saying you support it (had this at the HV clinic, of all places-went to get baby weighed at 4 weeks old, huge and very slow moving queue, big sign up saying 'We support and promote breastfeeding, ask if you would like a private room' so when DS started to get hungry and loud, I asked if they had somewhere I could feed him,v shy and leaky of bosom,DS had a very poor latch and kept getting sprayed in the face blush and was told they did if I could wait forty minutes. Er, no...)

- Support for those who need it. Everyone needs some help sometimes, some more than others. It should be there. I'd happily pay higher taxes to provide it

- Kindness. If everyone had a real think about their interactions with others, and remembered to be kind, a lot of trouble and stress would be reduced or eliminated

-The re-introduction of tea trolleys and a proper break in workplaces. Tea, cake and a chat can really help

- Tickets for cars parked across pavements (if I can't get a buggy past, someone with a wheelchair is really going to struggle) and compulsory indication on roundabouts. I'm not psychic, share which direction you're going in!

DownyEmerald Fri 08-Mar-13 21:28:40

I think it should be mandatory for all babies, toddlers to stop needing/wanting looking after while we go to the loo or have a shower.

I used to moan 'I'm sure it's in the human rights convention somewhere that I can use the loo BY MYSELF'. Just once a day would have been nice.

And I hate 'mummyfesto' - sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now