Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED If parents ruled the world…what would make it into your 'Mummyfesto'? Share your thoughts and win £200 Love2shop voucher

(205 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Feb-13 12:21:22

To celebrate the launch of the new book, The Mummyfesto by Linda Green, we'd like to know what issues Mumsnetters would campaign for if parents were in charge.

Here's what the publishers of The Mummyfesto say: "Issues affecting and surrounding parents don't often come to the forefront of the political agenda - a recent survey by 23snaps revealed that 46% of parents don't think family issues get much attention from politicians. This is addressed in The Mummyfesto, a new book by Linda Green, in which three mums who campaign to save their local lollipop lady from redundancy discover that they are rather good at it."

So what would you like to see in world where parents are in charge? This can be anything from free childcare to Mumsnet replacing the House of Lords. We'd love to hear what you think - if parents ruled the world, how would we make it better? It could be something small and local or big and national, silly or deadly serious. Time to get creative!

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £200 Love2shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

winkygirl Thu 28-Feb-13 16:38:46

Not just return to work training for the parent that is returning to work but also for their colleagues. "You remember that colleague that has just disappeared for a year? They might have changed - both physically and emotionally. Cut them some slack. Pretty soon it could be you asking for time off to attend your child's Christmas concert or needing time off when your child is too poorly to attend nursery. Please do not make them feel forced out of their job because their life has changed. And you know how jealous you feel about them working part-time? They are only paid a part-time salary you know!"

estya Thu 28-Feb-13 16:42:29

Mummyfesto reminds me of people who refer to all things related to babies in a goo ga voice. As if a baby was saying it.

It makes them sound a but thick.

But then the characters in the book surprised themselves when they turned out to be good at something outside of being a mummy. This is such a revelation that's it's worth writting a story of it.
Need I say more.

I think parenting classes should be given to all. There would be so many benefits to society it would pay for itself in the long term.

racingheart Thu 28-Feb-13 16:43:11

Ignoring the cringe-inducing, twee title of the book, it's a fair idea.

First set up excellent, state-funded childcare. If we want a healthy, focused workforce, we need somewhere safe and reliable for the children to go which doesn't wipe out a worker's wages.

Reinstate the 40 hour week. Fine companies that make redundancies then pile three jobs onto one person until they buckle with stress or work such long hours they no longer see/have energy for their families. I know too many people who leave home at 6am and come back at 9pm. Unnecessary when such a skilled workforce is out there, unemployed.

Change the law so it is illegal for any company to have profit as its overriding objective. I was shocked to learn it is in built in company law that financial benefit to shareholders trumps employee conditions, or provision of service to customers. That's Red Queen law.

All employees should automatically be shareholders in the company they work for, so they have some incentive to work well, and will gain the profits of their labour. I've never met a JL or Waitrose employee who hates their company.

Raise a massive tax on companies that make unhealthy food. For every product they sell that contains excess sugar, salt or fat, the company pays an increased levy. They can pass that on to consumers if they want.

GladbagsGold Thu 28-Feb-13 16:44:30

I would publish all wages and make it a crime to pay a man more.

And I would ban parents from going into school cloakrooms with their PFBs except in specific circumstances.

AND I would make smokers go into special Smoking Dungeons and be decontaminated before they re-enter society.

AND AND AND introduce on the spot fines for anyone using the phrase 'rod for your own back' to vulnerable new parents.

preety18 Thu 28-Feb-13 17:07:51

To have longer paid maternity leave and paternity leave ;-) and at the same time enjoying your children special moments.

ChristmasJubilee Thu 28-Feb-13 17:56:59

Free or reasonably priced instrumental lessons for every child.

sharond101 Thu 28-Feb-13 18:02:06

That people parking in Mother and Child parking bays without children with them have there cars immediately towed away.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 28-Feb-13 18:09:05

Make subsidised holiday clubs widely available. Normally they're too expensive for us to use regularly.

rootypig Thu 28-Feb-13 18:16:08

Mummyfesto? no daddies here?

that said, I think the priorities have to be
1) affordable fuel (for the home, I mean)
2) affordable fresh food
3) affordable childcare
4) a living wage

the start of a very long list. Our world just isn't geared to raising a happy, healthy next generation, is it?

Tortington Thu 28-Feb-13 19:07:36

crikey - its a bit one - and i suppose you would like a few humorous comments

but i can't help but think about all the parents who are going to suffer because of the bedroom tax and welfare reform. whilst bankers at RBS get their bonuses and millionnaires get tax breaks.

so if the mumifesto can encorporate some kind of social justice, that would be nice.

seperatley

if i was in charge or education children would only be taught English, Maths and science from infant to senior, by the end of senior first year, they should be able to get GCSEs in all of those. from the second year, they can prat about with art and drama and cooking and PE which are IMO a total wast of time.

And those more suited to doing work than sitting exams will fo out to the world of work at this point - and get paid for it

joanofarchitrave Thu 28-Feb-13 19:16:20

Well, it's already written, so it's too late. But I would call it the Humanfesto, and would aim to reduce the separation between the childfree and the childfull in society.

'That employers must consider whether a senior job has to be filled as 100% full time.'
This. And also more active promotion of jobshares, whether you have children or not, and more media publicity for the number of couples who both go part-time after having a child - IMO this is a lot more common than you ever hear about.

And every school has to publish on their website the number of children they have asked to find another school just before GCSEs so that their results aren't spoiled. Yes, Eton, Magdalen College School etc, I'm looking at you.

And just enough choice in education so that my ds never has to go to Custardo's school...

Snog Thu 28-Feb-13 19:30:32

Standard full time hours reduced to 30 per week providing more jobs and enabling all parents to work 4 days and have 3 days with their children.
Men to have equal paid paternity leave to women.
Schools to stagger holidays so not all schools have holidays at the same time (cheaper holidays for all and better school attendance rates accordingly)
Schools to realise most mothers work and plan accordingly eg give lots of notice re plays, parent assemblies etc so that more working parents are able to attend

hermancakedestroyer Thu 28-Feb-13 19:30:35

I would provide chefs to every household to prepare healthy lunchboxes for the children each morning, I would make adults be polite and as well mannered as my children are to them in supermarkets and I would scrap the parents running race at sports day smile

GaryBuseysTeeth Thu 28-Feb-13 20:08:29

More support for children from horrible/uncaring/impoverish backgrounds in school.
When you have a parent/s that do not care about your education it rubs off, so some sort of mentor would be nice.

No Parent & Child spaces anywhere or anything which makes parents think they've a right to do something/be somewhere over anyone without children.

Stop the goverment punishing/squeezing families in which one parent stays at home, and more assistance for that parent when they're returning to work (basically scrap the JobCentre & make it useful & full of helpful people who don't think you're scum for losing your job).

Love Marius suggestion of MPs living like everyday people.

sparklesandglitter Thu 28-Feb-13 20:31:52

That nobody would be made to feel guilty for their choices, be them feeding, sleeping or birthing choices. Formula feeding and safe preparation of bottles would be discussed in antenatal classes including nct and not ignored like a dirty secret. Women would not be made to feel guilty for not having a "natural" birth

Cherrybright Thu 28-Feb-13 20:45:30

Make it easier financially to take paternity leave
Make childcare more affordable
Some ideas posted are great!

Wigeon Thu 28-Feb-13 20:46:58

I have to add to the chorus: Mummyfesto - <shudder>

I am also not sure what you mean by "if" parents ruled the world. They do:

Cameron - parent
Obama - parent
The Queen - parent
Bet all the Chief Execs of FTSE 100 are parents
Most MPs are parents
etc

So given that parents (or in almost all cases, fathers) do in fact rule the world, the question is rather: do fathers in positions of power give the right weight to family issues? And if not, why not?

BoysWillGrow Thu 28-Feb-13 21:18:36

1) free school meals for every child
2) park play area for every neighbourhood.
3) creches/ daycare in every big company for working parents, free of charge.
4) more youth clubs/ centres
5) sport centres/ swimming pools etc should be free
6) free bus pass for under 18's
7) mentors for kids from 10 upwards to give them direction and guidence

wishful thinking, i know.

missorinoco Thu 28-Feb-13 21:20:25

Mummyfesto is a good title for a book, but not for a theoretical campaign if parents are in charge, more for if mothers are in charge.

Make childcare affordable. Stop closing libraries.

Maternityleaveisawesome Thu 28-Feb-13 21:25:42

Make public spaces promote breastfeeding. Don't want to go too far, just a window sticker so you know people won't mind you feeding in a cafe etc.

Agree with other pp re:mummyfesto. Bleuuurrgggghhh.

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 28-Feb-13 21:28:07

Every family would be able to have one parent stay at home full-time to raise the children if they wanted to.

Childrearing techniques would be taught at school.

Every expectant parent would have access to a free full paediatric first aid course and parenting lessons.

An hour and a half would be added onto each school day for the children to get proper exercise.

Better quality and cheaper childcare but with better perks for staff.

Give teachers back their stronghold on the classroom. There is a lack of respect towards teachers imho and they need to be supported to gain control again.

telsa Thu 28-Feb-13 22:43:30

Abolish private schools and have just brilliant local schools
Free childcare
Reintroduce markets instead of supermarkets
Massive house building programme
Turn roads into canals

Sorry, but that title is appalling; I really can't get past it in its pink sparkly vomitousness.

I am a mother. My children call me Mummy. I am also a professional, a tax payer, a constituent, don't bloody well patronise me. Don't fathers count in all of this?

Fairymitzi Thu 28-Feb-13 23:15:05

that every lone parent gets some kind of relaxation aid, be it chocolate or bubble bath smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now