This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Tell us your thoughts on family teatime (and if/how you make it fun for you and your family) and you could win £150 of supermarket vouchers

(114 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Feb-13 08:13:24

We know many MN families manage to eat together in the evening and the team at Birds Eye - as part of their Teatime Handover campaign (that encourages families to come together at teatime) want to hear your thoughts and best tips for successful family teatimes.

So please share on this thread how you make it work for you. We'd also like to know whether you think it's important for families to eat together and if so why? Or do you prefer eating at a different time to the children? How do you or can you make it more fun for adults and children to enjoy a family meal time together?

Please also share your thoughts on how easy or difficult, important or not sharing teatime is when children are different ages - for example if you have a teen - is this harder or easier than then they were younger?

Everyone who shares their thoughts or tips on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £150 Supermarket voucher (the winner can choose the store they want the voucher for). Please note your tips and thoughts may be used on a special email MN will be creating for Birds Eye and also on a new Facebook app which Birds Eye are creating to help families across the UK with teatime (your MN name will not be used).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

PS: For easy recipes and Teatime Handover tips visit www.facebook.com/BirdsEye.

Floweryhat Fri 01-Mar-13 20:32:19

We have DCs aged 7, 5, 3 and a 7 month old baby. We all eat together at 6pm, and always have done. It means a substantial late afternoon snack to keep them going. For me the most practical tip is to plan in advance and if possible cook in advance too. I have big batches of stuff in the freezer, or use the oven timer whilst toing and froing to after school activities.

The biggest challenge is finding meals that all will eat (at least some of), but that DH and I don't find too boring blush. I miss stir frys and curries sad.

Cherrybright Fri 01-Mar-13 21:22:35

We eat dinner together nearly every night. We normally eat 5 mins after dh comes in, so it gives us a chance to find out about each others days, talking is important to us. Its stress free, none of us have to finish our meals if we have had enough. We usually try and have fun with dd after dinner smile

hermancakedestroyer Sat 02-Mar-13 17:31:35

We all sit together as a family to eat our evening meal. We have no distraction of television or technology and use it as a time to catch up with each other and hear each others news. One evening a week my children (7 and 10) choose a meal that they want to cook, write down the ingredients that they need to buy and then go with me to the supermarket to buy them. One of them makes the main meal and the other makes dessert and then the following week they swap round. I believe that sitting and eating our meals together has made them 'very good eaters' as they have seen my husband and I eating a variety of meals and setting a good example. Obviously like most households our lives are hectic with after school clubs etc. but we try to spend whatever time we have together at the table together. smile

choccyp1g Sun 03-Mar-13 10:05:53

It's only me and DS so we always eat together, and when he has friends round I take it for granted that they'll sit at the table.

If there is something particular that DS wants to watch on TV, I'll try to arrange the meal around that within reason, otherwise he will wolf it down to get back to the football. When we have grown-up friends, I'll often let the youngster(s) go to play for a while and come back later for pudding, as the adults will just be talking for ages which he would sometimes find boring.

I notice at friends houses with several children, it is much harder to eat together, as they have to co-ordinate with different activities.

prakattack Mon 04-Mar-13 16:03:33

We try to eat together as often as we can but it's a struggle on the three days I work - I get home at 5.30 and the boys need to eat by 6 to be in bed for 7ish (they're 1 and 3).
Those days, they often eat by themselves (though I always try to sit down with them and chat) and DH and I eat later.
We eat together the days I don't work and at weekends (unless DH and I fancy takeaway or something unhealthy on a Friday night!).
My top tip, which I've only been doing myself for a few weeks, is to utilise a slow cooker. Then I can put something in before I go to work, or when I have a quiet half hour during the day, and it'll be ready when we get in from work, making getting dinner ready to eat together a lot less hassle when everyone's just getting home and there's bathtime to do etc etc etc!

xcxcsophiexcxc Tue 05-Mar-13 12:20:07

I think its really important otherwise wed never all be together as a family as my elder daughter likes to stalk of to her room. Its also a good chance to talk to my husband and first son about their day. I try to make food that looks funny, shaped like a face or so so my son will eat it, also I use desert as a big encouragement,

attachmentmummy Tue 05-Mar-13 13:14:16

We always eat together, and encourage the children to help with all aspects of cooking and eating, from menu planning, choosing ingredients, chopping and preparing, cooking, to serving and eating! As a result of that and baby led weaning, both are brilliant eaters, thankfully!

Bananasinfadedpjs Tue 05-Mar-13 13:27:06

We eat together about 3 or 4 nights out of 7. On the days when we aren't eating all together, one or both adults will sit with the children (we have 2 children aged 5 and nearly 2) while they eat.

I think it's important to all eat together as a family when you can. As the children get older, then I'm hoping they'll be able to stay up a bit later and we can eat together more often - at the moment, they both need quite an early bedtime, but I find it difficult myself to want to eat at that time - and it's even worse for DH to get straight in from work to a meal on the table, with no time to relax and unwind. So we compromise to do it half the time.

I don't try to make mealtimes "fun". I hope they are enjoyable due to nice food(!) and a chance for a bit of conversation. DD1 likes to have a story read during dinner, we do that occasionally if it is just the children eating.

I can't wait for the nice weather when we can all eat outside - that always makes mealtimes "fun!"

PetiteRaleuse Tue 05-Mar-13 13:35:22

We eat late - at about 8pm but all eat as a family. DD1 is almost 2 and has a long nap after lunch and a snack at about 4. LO will start weaning soon but at the moment She always sits near the table and watches us or has milk at the same time.

DD1 'helps' prepare, in that I lift her up and show her each stage of food preparation and let her handle ingredients and smell them etc. If I am mixing things together she can mix too, or turn the dial on the food processor etc. If I am doing something messy like making burgers or fish cakes she gets stuck in too.

I think it is important to eat as a family at table and we have done so since DD1 was weaned. I don't see mealtimes as fun particularly, but DD1 really enjoys participating in the preparation, and it helps keep her occupied until her dad comes home which is the highlight of her day. In the long term there will be a no screen rule at table but at the moment the only rule is that teddy bears can sit and watch but we don't play with them while we are eating grin

We eat together probably 4-5 nights out of 7. When it's an organized week, we're managing because we've done something like make-ahead chicken or Crock Pot stew. On a disorganized week, we're managing because DSD (7) goes straight to bed after her tea. Sometimes, we'll make something quick for DSD to get her started and join her once our own tea is done. Sometimes, we settle for a single-item meal (soup, a bowl of spaghetti with chunky sauce, etc).There's more time to do a relaxed and varied roast dinner spread on the weekends.

I like eating together because it gives me and DH a chance to stop focusing on ourselves and focus on DSD for awhile. I think it gives DSD the same chance, TBH. She listens to me and DH talk and will pipe in with her own questions or opinion.

This all goes a lot more smoothly and according to plan when we leave the TV off.

At the moment, I'm on mat leave and DH works at home so we all eat together. Since we've been doing this, I've noticed a huge improvement in DD's eating. she loves the fact that we all eat the same thing and also that we use the same crockery - we give her a side plate that matches our plates (she's 3 and a half). I tend to plan meals for the week, which involves eating the sane thing a couple of nights in a row so I don't have to cook every day. I also love my slow cooker as I can get a meal underway in the morning, which makes for less effort at the end of the day.

loubielou31 Tue 05-Mar-13 15:58:13

In general we all eat together and we all eat the same thing.
It has taken a lot of restraint to accept that my children are hard to feed. The rule in our house is you don't have to eat it but it stays on your plate and there is nothing else. Sometimes they go hungry, it's their choice.

When we have time (which is usually only at weekends) the children help prepare the meal. They will at least try something new if they've helped cook it.

On evenings when we will be eating at different times I will try and do something in the slow cooker.

I'm not sure mealtimes are fun. It's not a party, just part of our family routine where we all get together and have some time to talk.

BoysWillGrow Tue 05-Mar-13 16:00:35

i have 2 ds's 5 and 2 so eating together up the table is important for them learning table manners. and for us and dp to catch up. Every evening meal is all of us and mornings is just myself and ds's and 7mo dd.
tips for getting them to stay at the table is to ask them to set it, with their own cutlery, plate and cups. and they have to have shown an effort or no dessert.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 13:04:31

Hello - thanks for all your tips and comments - am pleased to say MrBloomsCherry wins the £150 supermarket voucher! Well done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now