This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Tell Amazon.co.uk your top 5 'must-have' products for when you have a baby - you could win a £100 Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate

(202 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Oct-12 17:11:56

You may have seen another thread recently on MN telling you about the new Amazon Family programme. Here's what Amazon.co.uk say about the service:
"We know that the amount of information available on what to buy when you have a baby can be overwhelming, and that making the right choice is not always easy," said Samantha Nash, Family Manager at Amazon.co.uk Ltd and mother of two young children. "We have launched Amazon Family to help our customers find the right products at the right price, along with hundreds of product reviews to help guide them in their decision. With special offers available to Family members across a wide range of products from nappies, children's shoes, toys and beauty products, it helps parents save precious time and money, with orders delivered direct to your door."

Amazon.co.uk would like to know which products you really need when you have a baby. What was your absolutely essential bit of kit? Was there anything you bought maybe when pregnant or at home with a newborn that you later found out you didn't really need or never used?

Please share your top 5 'must have' and top 5 'not so necessary' baby products with Amazon.co.uk. Your advice may be used to help them create a list of top tips on what you do and don't need when you have a baby. Your comments may also be used in an email MNHQ will be sending out soon.

Everyone who adds their comments to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate. Ts&Cs can be found here

If you've not already signed up to the free three month trial of Amazon Family there's still time. By signing up you can gain access to discounts on a wide range of family products, three months free subscription to Amazon Prime giving unlimited One-Day Delivery on millions of eligible items, £10 off your first order over £50 in the Baby Store, and up to £50 worth of exclusive offers every month. Find out more here.

Thanks and good luck.

MNHQ

fuzzpig Fri 19-Oct-12 19:48:11

Argh I typed a long reply to this and then my phone died.

Useful:

1. Pillows. Not necessarily a feeding one, I just piled loads up to start with. DS in particular was very heavy and it took a while to get used to just holding him comfortably.

2. Baby sleeping bags. I am very paranoid about baby pulling blankets over their head. (I still check them at night, they are 3 and 5 blush) - this eliminated that worry for me.

3. Bath chair. I found it very tiring trying to hold the baby in the bath, I had a deck chair type thing that held them comfortably while I had both hands free to wash them.

4. Bouncy chair. Essential for moments of sanity by keeping them entertained and safe.

5. Washable breast pads. I still wince at the memory of getting the disposable ones stuck to my skin instead of my bra! No thanks! Washables were much more comfy.

Useless:

1. Disposable breast pads. See above.

2. Baby monitor. As it turned out, I couldn't bear to leave my DCs in another room for long anyway, and if we were lucky enough to get them to sleep early, I still checked on them frequently even with the monitor on, so it was pretty pointless.

3. Manual breast pump. We didn't really get into the swing of expressing anyway, but I wish I'd stumped up for an electric, as the manual one was exhausting and milk fruitless!

4. Cot mobile. DS just wasn't interested in this, until he was old enough to climb up to it. hmm

5. Light projector music thing. As above really - DD didn't like it. Both babies were not distractible - if they were upset, nothing but cuddles would do!

APombearsPicnic Fri 19-Oct-12 19:48:28

Top 5:
A comfy sling that doesn't dig into your skin! A life-saver with Babies who refuse to be put down - means you can do other things as well!
Feeding Pillow to give your arms a rest especially at night!
Soft Muslim cloths were really great with a snotty, sicky Babies!!
Really soft blanket, easy to wash but cosy to sleep in for Baby!
Very easy to clean outfits! After up-the-back explosions, they were fab and quick to wash but very hard to find!

Not really Necessary:
Changing Table - Takes up lots of space, a Mat does the same job and hog can take it anywhere!
Shoes - Week old Babies can't walk so why buy expensive shoes of no use? hmm Socks are much easier to keep little feet warm!
Nappy Bin - Old nappies lingering about in a bin are really not pleasant!
Snot Sucker - Really?!
Very expensive, massive travel systems - You end up thinking 'Why did I buy all this?' grin

howiwonder Fri 19-Oct-12 19:54:06

5 must have for us were -

Lansinoh
Muslins, hundreds of the things, needed them all
Sling - after buying many, we discovered the Ergo (with newborn insert in early days) and never looked back
Sidecar cot
good breastfeeding pillow

5 pointless things we bought -

one of those nappy bin things
stupid 'clothes' for newborns e.g jeans and hoodies (my DH bought these I have to say), baby lived in babygrows instead
Baby bjorn carrier, killed our backs after a week or two
a strange, rather expensive, teddy bear that had a heartbeat (and various other) sounds, hoped it would be our sleep saviour - it wasnt.
a swaddling wrap, DS hated it

Jacques I forgot about that fruit sucker thing - seemed like such a good idea when I bought it but was a bloody nightmare to clean! I also bought a spoon with a squeezy handle to put the food in. Still in the packet...

EauRouge Fri 19-Oct-12 19:58:28

Top 5-

Decent comfy sling (not crappy Baby Bjorn-type one)
Lots of vests
Lots of sleepsuits
Car seat
Muslin squares

Not necessary-

Travel system- babies are not meant to be in their car seats for long periods
Baby monitor- ended up co-sleeping
Light projector thingy- neither DD remotely interested
Jeans/dresses/little outfits- not comfy or practical for small babies
Breastpump/bottles- never bothered and you can express by hand anyway

BornToFolk Fri 19-Oct-12 19:58:37

I'm basing my "must have" list mostly on what I still use now that DS is 5:

Muslins
Reusable wipes
Sudocreme
Big blanket for baby to lie/play on the floor
Sleeping bag (OK, DS doesn't still use one of these but I thought they were great!)

Not so good list
Complicated baby carrier. I had a Mothercare one that was a total faff to put on and DS hated it so we never used it.
Swingy seat thing. Was supposed to soothe DS. It didn't.
Baby bath. Never had one.
Baby lotion/oil/talc. I still don't understand what you are supposed to do with them!

Astr0naut Fri 19-Oct-12 20:01:59

1. Sling (we got an ebay Moby).
2.Sleeping bag.
3. Lansinoh.
4. Vibrating baby chair.
5.monitor where you can record yourself going: "shhh". It's saved us many a walk upstairs.

Sling (close or wrap not a hip dangler)
Aden anais Muslins
Thermal mug
Car seat
Lanisoh

Astr0naut Fri 19-Oct-12 20:06:09

Not so necessary:
Feeling a bit smug here, because we bought hardly anything anyway. But from conversations with others:

1. Changing table
2. blankets - once we got a sleeping bag, they were redundant
3. changing bag - get it free from boots; it's not anyone's looking at you anyway - you are pushing a pram
4. socks

nextphase Fri 19-Oct-12 20:09:15

Best Buys:
1 Lansinol
2 Growbag sleeping bags
3 Happychick mattress protectors
4 size 1 and 2 nappies
5 bepanthan (not sudocream)

Not Required:
1 nappy bin
2 changing station
3 Clothes and shoes (baby grows all the way)
4 cot mobile
5 "emergency" formula and bottles for (and I quote the midwife) when breastfeeding gets to hard.
6 (sorry) Travel systems - babies shouldn't spend any longer than necessary in a car seat.

Need:
- Nappies/wipes - whether disposable or reusable. Disposable for the first week of hospital/first poos certainly.

- babygros. Warm, versatile, simple. Enough for a couple of days in hospital, plus a pack for "spare". People will probably inundate you with presents.

- lansinoh and breastpads. You will be leaky, you will be sore.

- blankets. Lovely, snuggly. Plus a wonderful keepsake

-scratchmitts. Both of mine savaged their faces regularly with their uncoordinated movements.

Not needed:
- fancy baby clothes. You will probably get a lot. If you don't, think yourself lucky. Nothing worse than wrangling a newborn into teeny, tiny, uncomfy jeans for them to have a poosplosion within seconds.

- changing station - we were bought one with DS2. It was great for a couple of days when I was sore - then it became a shelving unit. Floor is much safer.

- baby bubbles/bath stuff. Just use water. They smell yummy anyway.

- baby towels. The baby WILL grow out of them quickly. Use your own - they're nice to wrap around the baby to keep them warm.

Socks - baby socks fall off. Constantly. When their feet finally don't fall out, the baby learns to take them off. And the washing machine eats them anyway. Babygros don't require socks. 'Nuff said.

noseymcposey Fri 19-Oct-12 20:22:23

Useful
1)Bedside crib (3 sided to attach to the bed)
2)Babygros - got through about 5 a day
3)Playmat - the only place I could put DS down for 5 mins to get a cup of tea
4)Lansinol nipple cream
5)Moby sling

Pointless
1)Shoes/booties for babies. He just wore socks till he was about one.
2)Teddy bears. Never been interested in any of them
3)Baby bouncer. Cried whenever he went in it despite getting a luxury vibrating/self bouncing version we prob used it about twice as far preferred just lying on the floor
4)All baby toiletries. Water is fine, and better for babies skin
5)Nappy bin - we just never used it

JollyJackOLantern Fri 19-Oct-12 20:29:09

Must haves:
1. Muslin cloths. They are useful for everything
2. Pram with Carrycot - we went out walking and DS slept in it during the day
3. Plastic tubs to fill with easy to microwave meals that can be eaten with one hand while BFing
4. DVD box sets to watch while BFing
5. Jellycat rabbit - everyone seems to have one now, DS loves his (possibly more than he loves me)

Useless:
1. Babasling - do they fit anyone?
2. Agree with baby shoes. Pointless.
3. Baby bath
4. Rocking chair - it's difficult enough to position an newborn for feeding without having to contend with the chair moving too
5. Plug socket covers - they're dangerous and totally unnecessary

This is a good idea. And I see the poster above me has already mentioned the Connecta which is the one baby thing I couldn't do without! grin

Brilliant things:
1) Connecta baby carrier - still using it with 2 1/2 yr old
2) tripp trapp highchair
3) cloth nappies (they have now been used for three children, saving ££££)
4) Moses basket for when they are tiny and sometimes sleep downstairs
5) disposable breast pads
6) Jojo Maman Bebe pocket highchair (other brands available, I'm sure)

Not so good things:
1) Rocking crib
2) washable breast pads - really irritating
3) tripp trapp cushion and reins - never needed them, the babyset was enough
4) baby sleeping bag - child hated it
5) muslins (I know people swear by them but I just don't get it!)
6) impossible to wash soft-seat type high chair

Oh, was it just five? oops.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 19-Oct-12 20:38:51

Useful:
1. Nappies & wipes
2. Vests & babygros
3. Nightlight for night time feedings without having to wake everyone up
4. Weleda nappy cream- amazing
5. Muslin cloths- I had a very sicky baby

Not so useful:
1. Any clothing other than vests & babygrows, too much faff and totally unnecessary
2. Baby towels- just use a regular one
3. Nursery decoration eg bedding etc- we didn't do up our nursery until well after baby arrived. Baby is still in with us now so there's no rush
4. Nappy bin- one of those special seal up ones, just empty the bin every day!
5. Anything fiddly, gadget type- you won't have time to use it!

Alitoomanykids Fri 19-Oct-12 20:40:55

top 5 essentials

nappies / wipes
plain white babygrows and vests
car seat
buggy system with carry cot (make sure it fits in the boot of your car)
lansinoh

top 5 items rarely used

dummies (all three kids refused them outright)
nappy bin
steriliser
scratch mitts - never stay on for more than 5 seconds
baby oil

Faverolles Fri 19-Oct-12 20:41:05

1. Sling. Preferably a moby wrap.
2. Lovely big feeding pillow.
3. Nappies and wipes.
4. Babygrows.
5. Chocolate.

Not so necessary
1. Outfits that do up at the back.
2. Cuddly toys
3. Moses basket.
4. bottles and formula "just in case"
5. Baby bath.

hugandroll Fri 19-Oct-12 20:41:15

Must haves:

1) nappies and wet wipes - stock up in advance, they go through a lot.
2) vests
3) baby grows
4) carseat (can't leave hospital without one)
5) your preferred feeding method so either your boobs or bottles, formula and sterilising equipment.

Not needed:

1) bottle warmer
2) nappy bin
3) changing table
4) dummies
5) baby shoes

Lfs2126 Fri 19-Oct-12 20:42:44

1)Fleecy blankets ( not red though - paronoid 1st time parent,moi, might think a bit of fluff in a nappy was a spot of blood)!blush
2) as many plain white sleep suits , vests
etc as poss so no need to separate washing.
3) dummies - sorry but sometimes....
4) little boxes of SMA for emergencies
5) sleeping bags- brilliant!!

necessary:
muslins - large pack preferably nice colours.
nappies & wipes
Baby Bjorn bouncer - loved it
cellular blankets
snacks for Mum - I loved ninebars

not necessary:
cotton wool - I still have oodles of cotton wool I brought 2 babies ago!
booties & shoes for babies
changing mat
bottles - breastfeeding went well so I never needed bottles.
agree re outfits that do up at the back

zinaida Fri 19-Oct-12 21:07:06

Essentials:
1. Stretchy wrap sling
2. Snot sucking device - the alternative is so minging!
3. Nursing bras
4. Muslins (or 'rags', which are cheaper!)
5. Thermos mug to keep your tea warm

Unnecessary items:
1. Baby bath - take the baby in with you!
2.Toys
3. Lotions etc - water is fine
4. Moses basket
5. Separates- stick to vests and baby gros for ages.

Wigeon Fri 19-Oct-12 21:14:42

MNHQ - I think you should make it clear in the OP that in order to be entered into the prize draw, you not only have to post on this thread, but you also have to join the Amazon Family scheme - according to the Terms and Conditions linked in the OP.

As your OP is drafted, it looks like you just have to post on this thread (as for many similar MN competitions), and so I think it's rather misleading.

HoneyDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 21:20:11

Oooh that is a bit naughty. They want free research AND your credit card details.

1. So obvious, but nappies and wipes
2. More sleepsuits than you can imagine
3. A mode of transport, be it pram or sling, you'll want to get out and about for your sanity!
4. Lovely soft and cosy blankets
5. Cosy hats for winter babies, cool and shadey hats for summer.

Not required.

1.Bottle Sterilizer. Expensive mistake for us. Dishwasher is fine.
2.Changing Table. Never, ever used it. Ever.
3.Moses Basket. Only ever used it when person who gifted it to us visited.
4. Muslins. What am I supposed to do with them? Why not use a hanky?
5. Baby socks. I don't know what they do with them, but they don't stay on at all. Just stick to onesies.

HoneyDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 21:22:19

Also how do they know you've signed up?
We are anon on here? There is no link or way for them to know without them knowing your username and email address?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now