This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Nominate a MNer to receive flowers - and talk about flowers with The Flower Council

(194 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Oct-12 09:51:03

We've been asked by the team at The Flower Council to get your nominations for which Mumsnetter you'd like them to send a bouquet of flowers to and why.

The company are keen to get folks thinking of flowers as a gift to cheer someone up, to say hello or just because you want to - rather than being for special occasions.

They also want to get folks thinking about what their friends favourite flower may be - they say "The aim of the Favourite Flower campaign is to show that a flower is not just a present (and not just a bouquet of flowers), but a special present, because when you know or try to think about what flower is your friends favourite then it makes the present very personal and special".

So please on this thread add your nomination for a MNer who you think would appreciate a bunch of flowers - it could be anyone (not yourself though!) - and what flower you think they would like. We will decide on the final winners and contact 3 MNers for their address and then The Flower Council will send them the flowers! (worth c£30 each)

We'd also like you to post your thoughts below on flowers - for example.......
~ How often you get given them or buy them for yourself, what you love about flowers, any variety you dislike, what it means to you to get flowers or to send them.
~ Do you routinely send them as a gift and if so what prompts you to do this?
~ Do you pick which flower to send to which friend - is this based on colours, fragrances, time of year or what you think they like.
~ Do you know / or do you think you know what your best friends favourite flower is? How do you know? What about your family - what do they like?

Share your thoughts on this thread and don't forget your nomination.

thanks MNHQ

PS They have also developed a very lighthearted game - check it out here and let us know what you think - it's designed to identify your Favourite Flower and if you can guess your friends you could both win a FREE bouquet.

PorkyandBess Mon 01-Oct-12 20:49:30

I would nominate - I don't know. Several spring to mind. AnyFucker for her excellent advice on relationships threads. Expat for, just because I think of her often. Mia's mum for her beautiful, eloquent posts about her daughter. BIWI for her fab weightloss bootcamps. Cupofteaplease because she's another one I think of and admire.

How often you get given them or buy them for yourself, what you love about flowers, any variety you dislike, what it means to you to get flowers or to send them. - My H buys me flowers most weeks. He is a good judge and would never buy me anything naff like chrysanthemums or carnations. I like (according to season) ranunculus, hydrangeas, amaryllis, cala lilies, gerberas, tulips and anything funky but never pink or yellow.

*Do you routinely send them as a gift and if so what prompts you to do this?*Yes, I love to receive flowers and I love to give them. If I visit a friend I always bring flowers.

Do you pick which flower to send to which friend - is this based on colours, fragrances, time of year or what you think they like. Yes, my best friend loves sunflowers and purple tulips - so I tend to give her one or the other. I grow masses of sweet peas in the summer, so always have posies to give to friends, teachers, neighbours etc. I would never give chrysanthemums or carnations.

Do you know / or do you think you know what your best friends favourite flower is? How do you know? What about your family - what do they like? Best friend, as before. I do know what people like, but also tend to buy them things I love! I have sisters with similar tastes to me - they'd rather have a single amaryllis than a dodgy 'petrol station' mixed bunch.

joanofarchitrave Mon 01-Oct-12 20:56:19

I would like to nominate Borntoshopforcedtowork, because she has had to finish something, but her whole life is now ahead of her. I think something very strongly coloured would be good.

I get given them perhaps twice a year or so, usually from my mother in law. I do love getting flowers and am always touched. I dearly love freesias but rarely get given them.

I used to send flowers a lot when I was single and had more money! My sister doesn't like 'stuff' or food for presents but always loves white flowers - so I think of flowers as at least potentially a sophisticated gift that doesn't impose on people.

I choose flowers colour first, then seasonal, then Fairtrade.

I know that my best friend's favourite flowers are daffodils, I have always known it, can't put my finger on when I first knew, we have been friends for 34 years smile

SirBoobAlot Mon 01-Oct-12 20:59:40

I'd like to nominate Pickles77 because right now she's having a terribly tough time, and could do with being shown that there is some love in the world, when she feels like she has no friends.

Buying flowers for myself - hmm. There was a lovely local florist I used to buy from sometimes, but they unfortunately closed down a little while ago. If I have a little bit of spare money, then yes, sometimes I try to treat myself, because flowers brighten up any room.

For other people - ex MIL gets flowers from us sometimes, just because. Other than that, I sometimes buy flowers for people if I'm seeing them. Christmas and birthdays sometimes send them to people.

I know most of my friends favourite flowers, and if I didn't, could probably work out what they would like. I tend to do this on colours, and their personality, as opposed to time of the year or theme.

lisad123 Mon 01-Oct-12 21:18:49

Can't they just send some to every MNetter? It's too hard to choose imo

QOD Mon 01-Oct-12 21:24:33

chipmonkey expatinscotland and MrsDeVere

Because they just should get flowers for a good reason and they're bloody amazing

I give flowers for a small thank you or a birthday gift
I go by seasonal colours normally
No idea on faves!

SirBoobAlot Mon 01-Oct-12 21:31:30

Can I also nominate MNP please, because she's simply amazing, and has got me through some of the toughest times imaginable.

I'd second the nominations for Weegiemum, Gentleotter and Unlikelyamazonian, because they've all had a hard time recently.

I often buy flowers for myself - supermarket roses mostly - or send them to friends for birthdays, babies, illness etc etc. I usually use M&S delivery and choose the seasonal bouquet at around £25. I do this on average once a month.

I hate chrysanthemums and carnations. Would rather have nothing.

Valpollicella Mon 01-Oct-12 22:23:15

I would nominate LadySybildechocolate. And Chaos. And BitterandTwisterchoredodger

They have got me through some horrible times. I will never be able to thank them enough for their friendship, to a stranger online. They were the most kindest women through a very dark time and I feel privileged to know them.

I never but flowers for me, and never have them bought for me.

I love simple flowers, and lots of them grin

I love buying flowers for friends. Even the cheap £5 bouquets from Tesco or the market always seem to raise a smile

~ Do you pick which flower to send to which friend - is this based on colours, fragrances, time of year or what you think they like.
Nope. I choose what's in my budget. There are an amazing florists nearby that will do a mini posy for £1.50 at the end of the day, and they rock quite frankly

~ Do you know / or do you think you know what your best friends favourite flower is? How do you know? What about your family - what do they like?
Most people I know just appreciate the gesture. To be honest, rejecting or being <catsbummouth> about a bouquet that wasn't to their taste would make me hmm at them.

mamapower Mon 01-Oct-12 22:27:15

I'd like to nominate my secret Santa from last Christmas. I have always wished I was able to return the kindness and generosity that was shown to me last year. I guess MNHQ would know the 'who' smile I have often thought of what a kind thoughtful and generous person this was to lift the spirits of a stranger and I would say Lilly's would be a lovely way to say 'thank you'.

I love receiving flowers and when dh is working o/s I get a nice surprise every now and then... Just because.
I give flowers to my mum just because, I don't need a special reason.
I buy flowers for others 1-2 times a month and occasionally treat myself to a bunch for the living room if I feel a bit self indulgent.
I generally spend £35-£45 when buying flowers as a gift.
If I know the recipients favourite I go for that, if not by season or by mood, for example if I'm trying to cheer someone up sunflowers or gerbs.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Mon 01-Oct-12 22:29:23

I'd like to nominate two please

SecretNutellaFix Who is secretly a little hero both on and off the boards, she is sweet caring and thoughtful, and has been a wonderful source of support to many Mnetters, simply by being there when needed to lend an ear and hold a hand. I'm doing this even though she will kill me, quite a lot.

and

DooinmyCleanin for every dog thread across the boards. Regardless of her own feelings she will quietly pm in the background to help, rally friends and so forth, without causing grief for HQ, and without rising to criticism. And she will post the best advice she can, on the doghouse too.

MmeLindor Mon 01-Oct-12 22:29:31

Oh, how do I select just one person.

The Woolly Hugs Team - for being selfless and supportive, for always being willing to give advice, and for being so bloody well organised. I am In Awe. They would like purply/silver/pink blooms, just like their blankets - perhaps Freesias?

GentleOtter cause she has been through hard times but still retains her wonderful sense of humour, and her kindness to others. She should receive sunflowers - sturdy yet beautiful, with hidden softness, they light up the room and bring a smile to the face of the dour-est of folk. Just like GO.

SuperBOF because she never complains, is always available for good advice and a swift kick up the bum when needed. For her, I would select Amarylis - bold, striking and full of colour.

How often you get given them or buy them for yourself, what you love about flowers, any variety you dislike, what it means to you to get flowers or to send them.

Once a week. Buy them myself. I like all flowers, but am not keen on carnations are they are 'funeral flowers' in Germany

Do you routinely send them as a gift and if so what prompts you to do this?

^Send them to my MIL or Mum occasionally. On special days, or just to cheer them up

Do you pick which flower to send to which friend - is this based on colours, fragrances, time of year or what you think they like.

I pick based on the style - tulips for artist friend, casual flowers such as freesias for my mum, classic roses for my MIL

Do you know / or do you think you know what your best friends favourite flower is? How do you know? What about your family - what do they like?

Best friend - star gazer lilies. My gran loved white roses (as do I)

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Mon 01-Oct-12 22:31:35

~ How often you get given them or buy them for yourself, what you love about flowers, any variety you dislike, what it means to you to get flowers or to send them. Very rarely given or purchased
Sometimes, when distance is an issue or when a present isn't required but someone needs bucking up
What I know they like
I know my families, and Pil's

I'd like to nominate RatherBeOnThePiste,*KnottyLocks*, tribpot and Purplepidjin for their devoted kindness on organising the Woolly Hugs. Four very special people, who deserve a great big Thank You! No idea what they'd like, they strike me as the kind of people to love anything like that which comes their way.

I trained as a florist, so everyone started to assume I didn't want to get flowers. Just for the record, florists love to receive flowers. I send my Mum flowers every year, she lives overseas and we don't see each other very regularly. I always just say 'whatever flowers are in season'.

My favourites are Frangi Pani which you can't get in this country. I had them for my wedding bouquet, and also had a huge tree covered with them when I lived in South Africa. I am also particularly fond of South African flowers, like strelitzias and proteas.

I have no idea what my best friend's flower is, mind you she doesn't know mine either so we're even.

Jellykat Mon 01-Oct-12 23:00:41

I'd nominate Pickles77 because shes just had a littlePickle and is trying so hard to keep things together.. Also SoleSource because shes a sweetheart.

I tend to buy flowers for myself about once a month, but am lucky because i have lots in my garden to cut too. Love having the additional colours and lovely smell in the house.

I dislike Carnations, see them as typical old lady flowers and garage bought from those that forgot.
Love Stargazer lilies and big spearlike Glads.

I tend to buy the flowers i like for friends, we tend to have similar tastes.. Never buy flowers for my mum as she grows them for a living, loves really tricky flowers and is an expert, so typical shop brought types don't do much for her.

dysfunctionalme Mon 01-Oct-12 23:14:54

I would like to nominate springydaffs for consistently providing very kind, thoughtful and insightful posts, especially in Relationships. She is the best sort of MN'r who really does make a difference in others' lives, simply by being kind and helpful. She just sounds really nice and I'm all for acknowledging kindness.

Flowers? My children bring me flowers from the garden. I rarely send flowers as I don't have much money, but just last week did for the children's Brownie leader who is a very special person.

Tiggles Mon 01-Oct-12 23:44:38

There are lots of people on the Children with Special Needs board who I could nominate, however at this particular point in time coff33pot with an extra bunch for her poor DD, and *Amberleaf *spring to mind. I am thinking a big bunch of cheerful sunflowers.

I never buy flowers for myself as it seems too big a luxury, although I sometimes buy them as a thankyou present for friends or family.

Jinsei Mon 01-Oct-12 23:47:38

I would like to nominate MrsDeVere because I luff her. smile I have never met her, but she is full of wisdom, has an amazing spirit and inspires me in so many ways.

But I also think Hecate, AnyFucker and Flowery are each very deserving - Hecate because she has so much compassion and common sense, AF because of the honest and excellent advice on the Relationships board and Flowery because of the amazing amount of time and expertise that she shares so generously on the employment boards and because she has the right name.

I'm sure there are many other deserving posters too. Sorry that they can't all receive flowers.

ripsishere Tue 02-Oct-12 01:56:46

I'd like to nominate Fritzzy the wolf. She is having a properly hard time with various things, yet still remains optimistic.
Also, a second vote for FrankWippery. She opened her house to me and my DD earlier this year.
Frittz should get some lovely brightly colored flowers, gerbera and anemones, also something with some scent.
Frank should get either white or very pale cream roses - she is classy.
I seldom send flowers, I normally get a shrub or pot plant delivered. I never ever receive flowers. I don't even have a vase.

MadameOvary Tue 02-Oct-12 06:28:46

I'd nominate UnlikelyAmazonian who as others said is going through a tough time, Anyfucker because she rocks the relationships board, and I can't believe no ones mentioned OhYouBadBadKitten for her weather threads.

My views on flowers? I'd much rather see them growing as I object to harvesting something so beautiful just for the sake of aesthetics. So I'd rather buy a plant.

It doesn't mean however that I don't accept they are an established cultural norm and a universally recognised gesture of thanks/support.

I'd like to nominate sirboobsalot as she is going through a rough time and could do with cheering up.

Also MrsDeVere because she is luffly

And d0oinmycleaning because she is very helpful to posters in the doghouse, and very funny as well.

needanswers Tue 02-Oct-12 07:55:26

Another vote for the woolly hugs team, and also "thingsthatmakeyougohummm", who has opened her heart and past to try to help me.
I used to buy flowers every week before I got skint, I love big big lilies and cala lillies

I don't like filler flowers, chrysanthemums etc,

I rarely send flowers, more likely to send a plant/cupcakes these days

I try to pick flowers based on colours and mostly send lilies/sunflowers if I do send any

I dont know what my friends fav flowers are other than those who love lilies, and my mum, I always go to Asdas the day after any special day and they have huge bunches at 75% off, always, easter, mothers day, christmas, valentines day, it invariable so we have a large bunch each

I do often buy them if they have nice onces reduced when I am doing the shopping, so actually, I would say we have flowers up every couple of weeks in reality,

MadBusLady Tue 02-Oct-12 08:05:15

I also nominate SirBoobalot and I think she'd like restrained white/pale colours but a range of different, delicate flowers cos she will appreciate the detail. And with plenty of greenery too, restful on the eye.

Flowers for other people are very difficult though, I find. The person I buy flowers for most is my mum, and she has completely different taste to me - she likes much brighter colours, and more of a mix of colours, where I prefer single colour bouquets.

I would like to nominate Triplets on the D'ya ever threads. I have met her once in RL, many years ago, and she is lovely. She has been my shoulder to cry on, my support and my friend for over 20 years. Triplets is a strong, compassionate, amazing woman who deserves flowers even if 'just' for having teenage triplets <<bows down in respect for her friend>>.

This year has been a dreadful one for her, with the loss of her Mum being the worst part. I know she would really appreciate flowers......especially some that are bright and cheerful....maybe with a couple of sunflowers included.

Personally I love lillies, sunflowers and orange roses.

16muddypaws Tue 02-Oct-12 10:54:18

I think Trazzletoes should get the flowers as she is going through a real tough time at the moment with her 3 year old currently in hospital with tumours possibly cancerous - i think she needs to know we are all thinking about them

LadySybildeChocolate Tue 02-Oct-12 11:11:17

Oh, Val. It's a pleasure. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now