This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Talk to M&S about their schoolwear and win one of two £100 M&S giftcards

(213 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Jun-12 09:56:12

As you may have seen, we've been working with M&S over the past few months to find out what Mumsnetters think of a variety of M&S ranges. The next one of these is schoolwear - M&S would like to know whether you do or don't buy their schoolwear for your DC and why, and what's important to you when you're shopping for uniform.

Please note - it doesn't matter whether or not you have ever bought schoolwear from M&S, this is open to all!

We've included a few questions to get you started below but please feel free to add any further comments you have. Everyone who adds their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw to win one of two £100 M&S giftcards.

~ When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you? Is it price, quality, style, fit or something else? M&S would like to understand how you decide whether or not to buy an item of school uniform so please provide as much detail as you can.

~ Do you tend to shop for schoolwear exclusively in store, exclusively online, or a mix of the two? Are there specific things that you buy online and others that you would only ever consider buying in store? How important are factors such as delivery options, the in store/online experience etc to you?

~ Which retailer(s) do you usually buy schoolwear from and why? If you have bought school uniform from M&S recently, how did you find it? Did the item(s) last well or not? If you haven't bought M&S school uniform before, why is that? What would make you give M&S school uniform a try?

~ Is there anything that you think M&S could do to improve their schoolwear range? Are there any items that they don't currently stock that you'd like to see added to the range? Would you appreciate a schoolwear catalogue available either online or in store?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

Hanleyhigh Thu 21-Jun-12 17:10:30

1. Fit (ds is skinny and needs an adjustable waist), dd looks at the style (she has the M&S trousers with the flowers/butterfly on each year though!) and quality - I know the M&S ones will last all year. I don't mind paying a bit more for something that will last.

2. end to do it online and try on at home, return the stuff that doesn't fit. Delivery is important and M&S are bad for that - last week I wanted something, amazon could deliver next day and it would be six days for M&S to deliver and that was to a store!

3. I have always bought M&S with the odd item from John Lewis or Next (purely due to Next being able to offer far better delivery terms). DD has had M&S uniform for six years, ds for four, I buy trousers, polo shirts and PE kit. I have only had one problem, ds's trouser seams undoing at the bottom but this tends to happen as he grows so I usually just leave it blush grin. Apart from that it lasts brilliantly all year.

4. More shorts for girls, skinny trousers in grey for junior girls please! Apart from that it's fine. I don't need a catalogue. Better stock (M&S terrible for being out of stock on the website) and BETTER DELIVERY please!!!

Princesslovelyboo Thu 21-Jun-12 17:20:31

When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you? Is it price, quality, style, fit or something else? M&S would like to understand how you decide whether or not to buy an item of school uniform so please provide as much detail as you can.

Making sure it is within the School uniform policy, then the fit and growing room too. The price should be reasonable for the quality of goods (really cheap needs replacing often) we tend to go for mid priced items.

Do you tend to shop for schoolwear exclusively in store, exclusively online, or a mix of the two? Are there specific things that you buy online and others that you would only ever consider buying in store? How important are factors such as delivery options, the in store/online experience etc to you?

I have done it only in store as I can get DS to try it on and I do not have the hassel of sending things back if they are wrong, we can go home at the end of the shopping trip knowing it is done and dusted!

Which retailer(s) do you usually buy schoolwear from and why? If you have bought school uniform from M&S recently, how did you find it? Did the item(s) last well or not? If you haven't bought M&S school uniform before, why is that? What would make you give M&S school uniform a try?

I get the junpers from M&S, they are the V neck knitted as DSs school stipulate V neck and the M&S ones are the best value ones we have found, and they do last him nearly a whole school year. Shirts I will get from Tesco as they do good value multipack ones. Triusers I get from either M&S or BHS as both stores have good fitting ones it really depends who has his size on the day we are shopping, same with his PE kit

Is there anything that you think M&S could do to improve their schoolwear range? Are there any items that they don't currently stock that you'd like to see added to the range? Would you appreciate a schoolwear catalogue available either online or in store?

A catalogue would be lovely so I could order what we needed and collect in store, he could try it on before we leave! I have not found a schoolwear retailer who does a good range in PE kits, DSs school say plain black jogging botoms and shorts, white t shirt, most retailers have branded/striped pe kit no use to us sad I think trousers in geneal are an issue at a certain age, DS is a standard (not fat/thin) age 14 but has short legs, we really struggle to get trousers to fit properly and plain black school shoes that are comfortable, within the uniform code and still trendy enough for DS to want to wear them are practically impossible to track down. The M&S jumpers should NEVER change they are fab!

In general, a shopping trip for school uniform can be a nightmare as ther are always 1000 stressed mums all digging for the same stuff, I have actually been elbowed and stood on by mothers trying to get to the rails before me to have a look even though we were looking for different sizes.

BornToFolk Thu 21-Jun-12 17:28:10

My DS is starting Reception in Sept so this is my first time buying uniform!

~ When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you? Is it price, quality, style, fit or something else? M&S would like to understand how you decide whether or not to buy an item of school uniform so please provide as much detail as you can.

Price, quality, style, fit in that order. By style, I mean things like do trouser have adjustable waists or that shirts have stain repelling qualities!

~ Do you tend to shop for schoolwear exclusively in store, exclusively online, or a mix of the two? Are there specific things that you buy online and others that you would only ever consider buying in store? How important are factors such as delivery options, the in store/online experience etc to you?

So far, only in store as I wanted to have a good look at the quality and size of things before buying. If I like what I've bought I may well buy the next size up online to take advantage of special offers or using Quidco.

I'll have to go instore to buy shoes and trainers as DS has wide feet which can be hard to fit.
~ Which retailer(s) do you usually buy schoolwear from and why? If you have bought school uniform from M&S recently, how did you find it? Did the item(s) last well or not? If you haven't bought M&S school uniform before, why is that? What would make you give M&S school uniform a try?

So far, I've only bought from M&S! I was tempted by the 20% off offer and bought polo shirts, trousers, socks, PE t-shirts and PE shorts. I think the quality seems fine and they are a good fit on DS. I plan to buy more polo shirts and trousers from supermarkets (ie. cheaper ones!) and see how they stand up. Cheap and plentiful is my plan of action...

~ Is there anything that you think M&S could do to improve their schoolwear range? Are there any items that they don't currently stock that you'd like to see added to the range? Would you appreciate a schoolwear catalogue available either online or in store?

I'd like to see royal blue PE shorts! They seem impossible to buy anywear (so DS has navy ones instead...blush) Also, if you did a wide fit plimsoll for the price of the standard ones, I would love you forever! I'm probably going to end up spending a small fortune on trainers for DS that he'll wear for half an hour a week for a term.....

JustFabulous Thu 21-Jun-12 17:29:06

When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you? Is it price, quality, style, fit or something else? M&S would like to understand how you decide whether or not to buy an item of school uniform so please provide as much detail as you can.

When my children were at their last school I started off by buying everything except shoes from M & S as I see M & S as a really good quality store. Unfortunately I got a bad batch of jumpers so went elsewhere for those and then for trousers too, and shirts...

Now my children are at an independant school and we have to use the only supplier so don't have any choice of where we buy any of it other than socks. When shopping at M & S I mostly bought in store but did order a few bits on line when the shop didn't have them in stock. I much prefer to go to stores though.

I still mostly buy their socks from M & S as I like that they have the sizes inside which is useful as I have 2 boys in same colour socks but different sizes. On the whole everything lasted fine except the jumpers as mentioned before.

Not relevant for me but previously it would bug me that uniform wasn't available for more than July- October in a larger range. Wouldn't have been interested in a catalogue.

NeatFreak Thu 21-Jun-12 17:29:35

Mainly price but also quality and likelihood of it lasting well

for one child I shop online as she is 'average' sized for everything. For the other, we do a combination of instore and online. delivery is important- it should be reliable, be able to de delivered to addresses other than that registered to the debit/ creidt card used and low delivery price

Mainly M and S, some from the school shop and odd bits from Sainsburys

Consideration of unusual sizes, i.e. adjustable waists on everything

yousankmybattleship Thu 21-Jun-12 17:31:23

It depends on the item. With something like trousers, knitware or dresses definitely fit and quality of fabric. With things like polo shirts I tend to go for value as I have to buy so many of them.

Do you tend to shop for schoolwear exclusively in store, exclusively online, or a mix of the two? Are there specific things that you buy online and others that you would only ever consider buying in store? How important are factors such as delivery options, the in store/online experience etc to you?
I always order online at M&S and collect from my local store as I find stock is always very limited in store. I wouldn't ever pay the delivery charge as I think they are too high.

Which retailer(s) do you usually buy schoolwear from and why? If you have bought school uniform from M&S recently, how did you find it? Did the item(s) last well or not? If you haven't bought M&S school uniform before, why is that? What would make you give M&S school uniform a try?
I buy a mix of M&S and Tesco. I love the M&S school dresses.

Is there anything that you think M&S could do to improve their schoolwear range? Are there any items that they don't currently stock that you'd like to see added to the range? Would you appreciate a schoolwear catalogue available either online or in store?
I'd love to see a bit more choice with things like cardigans where there is potential for something slightly more interesting. I'd pay quite a bit of money for a really pretty, soft cardigan in school colours. I'd also like to see more choice in things like soft shorts and jogging bottoms for PE. I'd like to see a good range of summer hats. All children have to have them in school now, but there is often little choice. I don't really want bright pink for my daughter - something a bit more tasteful would be great!

Price, but good quality for the price - I don't always but the cheapest. Fit is important but stylenot so much as for boys trousers tend to be much of a muchness!

Tend to go online for logoed stuff, inline or store for other stuff. Online if I know what size DS will need.

I have never bought M&S schoolwear before until last year because they has 20% off. Ordered online.

Sorry to say M&S the school trousers were totally unacceptable - one pair fell apart at the seams in a week and another pair after 3 weeks. I exchanged - which btw if you'd like to know the CS I received at the Fareham store was worse than the trousers, and the new pairs which I waited a week for also fell apart. They were the value packs of 2 - and not at all good value or even fit for purpose.

The school polos have been fine.

I have bought supermarket own before - do not like they're polos as they shrink, go out of shape and don't wash well. Trousers are fine.

Sorry to say I will not be buying M&S again. I think I'll try Next this year on recommendation.

* Is there anything that you think M&S could do to improve their schoolwear range? Are there any items that they don't currently stock that you'd like to see added to the range? Would you appreciate a schoolwear catalogue available either online or in store?*

Yes, better quality uniform and an easier more willing exchange service - eg delivery of new goods instead of customer having to travel into town 3 times when they ordered online. Online range is easy to use and see, I was very impressed with it.

OhNoMyFanjo Thu 21-Jun-12 17:45:37

I'm going to be watching this closly, dd starts school in aept and everywhere does uniforms now so it's hard to know where to buy what.

Funds are tight but dd is quite tall so fit is going to be so important as well. I just hope I don't get it wrong. I'm going to be going for a name I trust but will be taking stuff back if it doesn't live up to expectations.

eatyourveg Thu 21-Jun-12 18:02:22

~ When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you? Is it price, quality, style, fit or something else? M&S would like to understand how you decide whether or not to buy an item of school uniform so please provide as much detail as you can. Fit - adjustable waists are paramount as on ds is very skinny, the other very chunky and I want to be able to pass the uniform down, quality obviously and the non iron option is brill

~ Do you tend to shop for schoolwear exclusively in store, exclusively online, or a mix of the two? Are there specific things that you buy online and others that you would only ever consider buying in store? How important are factors such as delivery options, the in store/online experience etc to you? all online

~ Which retailer(s) do you usually buy schoolwear from and why? If you have bought school uniform from M&S recently, how did you find it? Did the item(s) last well or not? If you haven't bought M&S school uniform before, why is that? What would make you give M&S school uniform a try? M&S or supermarket if its during term time and it doesn't have to last all year

~ Is there anything that you think M&S could do to improve their schoolwear range? Are there any items that they don't currently stock that you'd like to see added to the range? Would you appreciate a schoolwear catalogue available either online or in store? I have to go a long way to get the green jumpers in secondary sizes, I wish the shops kept at least some stock of colours of local schools, don;t buy jumpers online as I like to be able to feel the thickness and see how elasticky the cuffs and waist are

FartBlossom Thu 21-Jun-12 18:08:11

When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you?
Price first then quality. I wouldn't buy anything that was of poor quality no matter how cheap it was, but at the same time I dont care how good it is, Im not paying over the odds for them. They either grow out of or ruin them so quick they are often bought throughout the school year.

Do you tend to shop for schoolwear exclusively in store, exclusively online, or a mix of the two?
Always in store, I never buy clothes online school uniform or otherwise.

Mainly Asda or Tesco. That is because I go to both these for my weekly shop so when new uniform is needed I have a quick look along with buying food. I have bought M&S uniform in the past, but that was at a time when it wasn't the right time of year to be buying uniform (ie not August) and I had difficulities getting the right size and colour for DS. I would buy again from M&S I just dont often think about it.

I would like a wide range all year round, not just in August, maybe it already happens online I haven't looked. Also both my school age DC's have long legs so I would like more adjustable waists in higher age children (thats not just for uniform, but in general). Would be nice to see gym kit too like shorts/tracky bottoms (with proper ties that work and not just for show) and sports tops.

smokinaces Thu 21-Jun-12 18:20:44

*price, fit, quality. They need to be long leg with adjustable waist trousers with reinforced knees and I buy to last. They need to be tumble dryable and easy to get stains out but cheap!!

* in store mostly, as I take advantage of any offers and then don't pay postage. I can also measure against son without having to return items. I can also check the little details andquality of material in person

*marks and spencers mostly. I am disappointed in the trousers this year as he knees don't seem as strong and I have had to patch items. Polos have held up well though. I have tried Asda and been disappointed. I borrowed a pair of next trousers though and really liked them so might look into their school range this year. Marks and spencers fit is good, but I admit this year the quality hasn't been as good as last academic year and so I will be looking around.

*reinforced knees for little boys!!!!

pamplemousse Thu 21-Jun-12 18:21:38

The price is important as you seem to need so many things all at once. I prefer that things are made of cotton that go next to the skin, like poplo tops and dresses, so thats something I look for. The fit also needs to be adjustable (eg waists) as my dd is tall and skinny for her age.

A mix of the two, I do the September big shop online and then pick up extra things throughout the year. I shop online if there's a good offer or free delivery or some such offer.

I have bought uniform from M&S, Tesco, Matalan and Asda. I chose M&S for my big uniform shop as they had everything I wanted and do a label free range for my sensitive skinned child. There was also 25% off and free p&p. The polo shirts lasted brilliantly, stain free and non twisted for the whole year. The trousers were not bad, the fit wasn't that good despite having an adjustable waist and they have bobbled a bit. A cotton cardigan also did fairly well, the colour has faded very slightly, its still soft and thick and comfy though. I buy from supermarkets as its cheaper and I go there anyway. I also didn't want to pay postage or go and collect just one item. I went to Matalan as they had the right colour dresses (purple hmm)

A purple checked cotton dress please! An online catalogue would be good, I don't think I'd bother collecting a paper one when you can look online anyway.

JulesJules Thu 21-Jun-12 18:38:31

Depends. Price is important, but I also want good quality. Style has become more important as my 10yo has started at Middle School where they are fussy about the style - no straight leg trousers (so the lovely straight leg trousers I had bought from M&S were not acceptable) no tube skirts (so the lovely tube skirt from M&S... etc) Sizewise I just get the right age and they are usually fine. I loathe ironing so non iron clothes would be a bonus for me. I recently got the sports skirt which she loves, and the school have also banned cycle shorts for sport...

A mix of the two. I would only ever buy shoes in person, but I'm quite happy to buy other items of clothing online. I do think delivery charges are high, but about the same as busfares, so I would buy instore if I was going into town for other things as well.

Usually M&S when there is an offer on. I'm very happy with it, except for the restrictions in style which is the school being unreasonably fussy in my view. Love the new sports skirt as I mentioned above, also like the soft tights, but I always go up a size for those. I also buy from a supermarket which is in walking distance for convenience. Have to get branded polos and sports stuff from the school. Sometimes John Lewis.

I like the summer dresses, but they are a bit see through. I'd like more plain plimsolls/trainers for sport. Hate all the girly trainers with pink shiny bits on - and in any case the school won't allow them... Sunhats in plain school type colours would be great. My kids love these from Seasalt but they only do them in black and red. Good quality sturdy backpacks. I would appreciate online/instore catalogues.

narniasnarnia Thu 21-Jun-12 18:47:48

Firstly I have bought a lot of M and S school uniform over the past 4 years. I still buy polo shirts and girls blouses, summer dresses and cotton cardigans - I'm pleased with the quality, styles and happy to pay more than supermarket prices becaseu of this.

However, I have stopped buying M and S school trousers I'm afraid. Having bought them 2 years ago, they were such bad quality (and this was not the economy range ones), the fabric went sort of fluffy and white esp around the knees. Was v disappointed. I've also found that the fabric of the grey school dresses is not the quality I would expect for the price. I've therefore started to buy Sainsburys trousers and dresses as the price is better and the quality better!

Piffpaffpoff Thu 21-Jun-12 18:47:50

Factors - price, quality, style in that order. DS has just finished P1 so this may change as he gets a bit older and wants a bit more input into what he's wearing.

I buy in store - I like to see what I'm buying, feel the quality, check the length etc. The only thing I might consider buying online would be if I was looking for a particular color of jumper that was not available in store.

I buy from M&S, tesco and Asda. The M&S trousers have lasted well all year, but with some fading at the knee.

I'm happy with the M&S range at the moment, it's got everything we need.

narniasnarnia Thu 21-Jun-12 18:53:19

One more thing...... (that would make me shop more often at M and S)....it drives me up the wall when there is not enough stock in the shop and so when I find the item I want it is not availble in my child's size, and whilst I can understand that just before schools go back you may sell out of things but this seems to be a continual problem with school uniform and also particulalry with girls socks and tights. (This is at a very large store I might add).

Quip Thu 21-Jun-12 18:53:50

Quality, Fit, Style, Price in that order. I don't really care if I'm paying a few pounds more if I know it will last for several years (being handed down between children). I do avoid certain styles though - however high quality the cargo-style shorts are, I wouldn't opt for them as I prefer the traditional cut.

I'm not bothered about instore or online - I've done a mix in the past. Free delivery is a big factor though - if I have to pay for delivery it's a factor that would have me looking at a different website.

Trousers , jogging bottoms, socks, PE shoes M&S
Polo Shirts - trutex (not M&S as I looked at the reviews on the website and looked on mn for advice, and M&S polo shirts came out very badly. The Trutex ones we've got have lasted two years so far and still look excellent, so the higher price was well worth it)
Shorts - John Lewis (not M&S as I didn't like any of the styles, and they seemed to be designed for fatter children.)
other stuff from school.
PE shorts - John Lewis (as M&S don't stock our colour)

Better quality polo shirts. I wouldn't be bothered if there was a schoolwear catalogue.

Mspontipine Thu 21-Jun-12 18:54:11

I want a quality product that will wash well and not fade or lose its shape, oh and feels soft.

I mix the two but tend to buy in store unless they're out of stock in the shop. I want free delivery or the option to pick up free from store. Our town's M and S closed over a year ago sad

I buy all my son's uniform from Asda with the odd item jumper etc from Sainsbury. They are excellent qualitiy, price and last longer than my son grows out of them.

When ds 1st started school I bought it all from M and S but it was such poor quality I returned it to the store. Badly finished off hems, quality of fabric - thin etc. I thought because it was M and S it would be the best quality but it wasn't. Asda MUCH better and cheaper - though I won't say M and S were too expensive either.

Online catalogue a good idea. Compare their range to other supermarket ranges and at least match or better it at same prices.

Pinot Thu 21-Jun-12 18:56:50

Not so much price as quality - that it lasts!!

Always online - shopping with three kids in tow is hideous

Sainsburys Tu or M&S. Tried tesco but poorer quality

Why not just put in an age and it lists everything you may need - you can then uncheck if you don't need certain items

RaahhfaNadalsmyToyboy Thu 21-Jun-12 18:58:56

When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you? Is it price, quality, style, fit or something else? M&S would like to understand how you decide whether or not to buy an item of school uniform so please provide as much detail as you can

My dc wear white polo shirts, general grey trousers or pinafore/skirt, and a school logoed sweatshirt/cardy from the school. I usually go for cheap polo shirts, as i find no matter what i do, they discolour easily so it is often easier to replace them than try to rescue themblush Trousers I struggle with as Ds is not very tall, and very, very skinny- so elasticated/adjustable waists are essential. They must be easy care, wash well, and resist going holey at the knees!

I tend to pick up schoolwear as and when i need it- and use Asda,Tesco, Jl and m and s as they are all local. I like sainsburys schoolwear, but my local store doesn't always stock it. I find M and S or Asda are more likely to have things available all year, not just at seasonal 'back to school time'. I will buy things online- polo shirts if i know the sizing is accurate. i will always but shoes instore. Sometimes delivery costs of ordering online make otherwise cheap items expensive.

I use Asda, tesco, JL, and M and S. Occasionally Sainsburys. The last items i bought from M & S were polo shirts as the Tesco next door didn't have the size. They have washed well, but i thought they were a bit short in the body, and wide. I also bought a school coat from M & S, which lasted really well and i have passed on. It was definitely worth spending a bit extra on. (A good coat protects their sweatshirts too).

I think the range in my local store is very comprehensive, and i can't think of anything they haven't got. I did find swimwear difficult to get- this does seem to be more 'seasonal' though they swim with school all year. More trousers with adjustable waists, and more duraable tights (the last ones i got were a bit thin, and didn't last long). I'm pretty sure i have had a catalogue from M & S featuring schoolwear? But it may have been jl. I definitely find it easier to order items when they are all grouped together.

Thank you!
Raahh

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 21-Jun-12 19:01:21

We buy a lot of schoolwear from Sainsbury's as we're in there anyway, and they sell it (!).

Most stuff comes from M&S though as they stock the colour (navy trousers) and they wear well. This year ds is moving up to secondary, where the tops and some sports kit are all regulation. I'll get his trousers and the generic sports kit from M&S though I should think.

Uniform gets bought as and when, with a peak before September.

I like that I can order online and collect in store with M&S. That's very useful.

I'd pay extra for the kit to come ready name-labelled (although tbh a Biro/marker pen does the trick).

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 21-Jun-12 19:21:09

The number one criteria is the colour. DS has to wear navy trousers or shorts, and there's a very limited range. This summer I tried to buy DS some plain, non cargo, working fly navy shorts from M&S, but none exist.

Value for money is important: I'm prepared to pay a bit more for decent quality that will last. Though DS grows so fast, things are usually too small before they're really worn out!

I like to buy things online as long as the return options are easy and free. Taking small people uniform shopping is only exciting the first time...

Adjustable waists on everything please!

Working flies on more trousers and shorts please! DS likes to use the standing up toilets (urinals!) but got teased for showing his bottom by pulling down his trousers and pants. At six he's capable of negotiating a fly. Same goes for pants - only a couple of Autograph trunks have a working fly in age 6-8.

Slubberdegullion Thu 21-Jun-12 19:29:15

Important factors. reasonable good quality fabric that keeps it's shape, and doesn't go all horrid and bobbly. Classic styles. easy to iron, or non iron. Gawd I rue the day I bought those JL pleat dresses. Damn you stupid pleats. dunno if those stain repellant technologies really work but I'm a sucker for technical clothing. ADJUSTABLE WAIST BANDS (skinny kids)

Shop in store. A quick once round M&S twice a year and we're done.

M&S although summer dresses wise the supermarket ones aren't bad. Love the M&S skirts. Won't buy anything else now, polo tops good and have stayed decent thickness despite a gazillion washes second child round.

Tights, Lordy tights are hard. Please look at your tights, they just go weirdy after a while, thin and baggy.

Fit is very important - I currently buy Next trousers for my sons who are both so slim that a slim fit is still loose on them. So a slim fit from M&S would probably have me shopping there. I go for quality as school items get hammered and the cheaper ones end up more expensive in the long run.

~ Do you tend to shop for schoolwear exclusively in store, exclusively online, or a mix of the two? Are there specific things that you buy online and others that you would only ever consider buying in store? How important are factors such as delivery options, the in store/online experience etc to yo

Just depends where I am shopping at the time they need new uniform. The only time I make a special trip is in August. I would only ever consider buying shoes in store as they need to be tried on. I prefer to buy instore as I can see the actual items and measure them against the kids. If the online items gave the actual items that the garment measures, I'd be more likely to buy online. Currently online shops only give 'age' or a height of a child. I'd like to see inside leg of trousers etc.

Next. Simply because of the slim fit trousers, and also because anything not in store, I can order and its delivered to the house the next day. We have plenty of M&S polo shirts and pe shoes, I can buy those when I'm passing through a store.

More variety for boys stuff. girls seem to have endless styles of skirts, pinafores, cardis, frilled blouses, etc etc etc. For boys its just one or two styles of trouser and its very boring!!

daisydoodoo Thu 21-Jun-12 19:51:03

~ When you're buying school uniform in general for your DC, what are the most important factors to you?

Quality and design. I like to choose 100% cotton or natural fibres where possible. I don't like the way polyester trousers age, they tend to go shiney and bobbley. If pinafores are lined thats a plus too.

I tend to buy in store and take the children with me to try it on, especially as sizes differ so much from brand to brand. I do sometimes top up uniform online throughout the year.

John Lewis is our standard uniform shop, as I can buy everything in one hit at the start of the school year. Including fitted shoes and sports shoes. I do buy from M&S as well, this year we have brought the boys short sleeve white shirts and the girls 2 pack of 100% cotton summer dresses. Both have lasted well. They wash well and the shirts didnt need ironing after tumble drying but did need ironing after line drying despite being labelled as no need to iron. the dresses again have lasted well, my only complaint about those would be that the dresses seem to come up short, but wide. So my tall but slim daughter needed an age 8 for length but really no more than the 7 for width.

It would be nice if a fuller range was avaliable all year round. Its frustrating to go into a store half way through a term to find very limited range of uniform and very limited range of sizes in store so have to order online or order in store for collection. Parents want to walk into store and buy there and then. Its often in an emergency as well, such as ripped last pair of trousers or polo shirts so to have to get at a later date either by mail order or collection is frustrating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now