Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Talk to M&S about their kidswear and win one of two £100 M&S giftcards

(321 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-May-12 10:35:02

As you may have seen, we're working with M&S over the next few months - the Mumsnet M&S panel are going to be putting shapewear and the Simply Fuller Longer range to the test, and now we're asking all MNers to tell us what you think about M&S kidswear.

Here's what M&S say about their Kidswear: "We believe that at M&S you can find great value and fashionable kids' clothes. We also want to make shopping for kids' clothes as stress-free as possible, so we're asking Mumsnetters for their feedback on all things kidswear-related so that we can continue to improve our ranges."

We've provided some questions below to get you started, but please feel free to add any other comments you have as well. Everyone who adds their comments to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win one of two £100 M&S giftcards. Please note, we want your honest opinions and we don't want you to do any research online before you answer the questions below so no cheating now!

~ Have you ever bought any M&S Kidswear? What's your overall opinion of it? If you're a regular buyer, what makes you buy? If you're not, is there anything specific that's stopping you? What other brands/shops do you buy kids' clothes from?

~ When you're shopping for kids' clothes, what are the most important factors? Is it cost, quality, colour/design, style or brand/label? Or a complicated combination of all of those?!

~ Do you tend to shop in store or online for kids' clothes and why? If you shop in store, do you look online at what items you might buy beforehand, or do you tend to go and see what takes your/your DC's fancy?

~ Is there anything that you think M&S could do to encourage you to buy their kidswear? Or buy it more often if you already buy it? Is there anything missing from their kidswear ranges that you'd like to see more of? Do you think they cater for certain ages better than others? Or for boys better than girls or vice versa?

~ Thinking specifically about the M&S baby ranges, what's your overall opinion of these? Do you think there's enough variety? Is there anything you'd like to see more of?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

androbbob Wed 16-May-12 13:43:00

~ Have you ever bought any M&S Kidswear? What's your overall opinion of it? If you're a regular buyer, what makes you buy? If you're not, is there anything specific that's stopping you? What other brands/shops do you buy kids' clothes from?

Yes, I buy some my childrens clothes from M&S. I think the clothes are hard wearing and easy to wash. I generally get most of the uniform for them both as they are great quality too. I also buy childrens clothes from Matalan, Next and Supermarkets.

~ When you're shopping for kids' clothes, what are the most important factors? Is it cost, quality, colour/design, style or brand/label? Or a complicated combination of all of those?!

Depends - if it is jsut summer stuff for messing around in then colour / syle and design are more important than quality. Uniforms and good clothes I prefer decent quality so they will last. Price is a big factor really. Adustable waist bands, especially for older girls - DD is 10 and skinny and I struggle even with elasticated waists to get them to fit her. I also will not buy anything with skull designs or stupid slogans on.

~ Do you tend to shop in store or online for kids' clothes and why? If you shop in store, do you look online at what items you might buy beforehand, or do you tend to go and see what takes your/your DC's fancy?

A bit of both - uniform tends to be on line and if getting several items I go on line to order to save me time at the weekend dragging kids around the shops. Supermarket buys are often impulse purchases and usually only value items, eg red t-shirt for school for Jubilee celebrations

~ Is there anything that you think M&S could do to encourage you to buy their kidswear? Or buy it more often if you already buy it? Is there anything missing from their kidswear ranges that you'd like to see more of? Do you think they cater for certain ages better than others? Or for boys better than girls or vice versa?

I generally like the range for boys but would like more colour rather than the usual sludgy colours - blues, greens, greys, etc. Girls range is ok for the older girl but sometimes too pink! My DD is a tomboy but likes fashion - so no silly logos or flowers, but stripes and sparkles!

~ Thinking specifically about the M&S baby ranges, what's your overall opinion of these? Do you think there's enough variety? Is there anything you'd like to see more of?

The baby range seems ok but a bit pink / blue and Disney for my liking. WOuld like to see more bold unisex items and a better selection of not just dresses for toddler girls

insanityscratching Wed 16-May-12 13:47:23

Yes I do buy occasionally and I find the clothes wash and wear well. What stops me is the sizing to be honest the waists on trousers and skirts are huge in fact my 19 year old dd can fasten skirts aged 9. Now dd is aged nine I find some of the older girls' clothes like mini adults and I'm not keen on dd dressing like that. I buy lots from H&M, some from Next, some from La Redoute.

Quality, style, design are most important and then of course cost is a consideration.

I tend to shop in store mostly because the sizing doesn't seem to be uniform across the styles and so I'd end up returning things anyway. I don't really browse online tbh but will follow links when I see something I like the look of.

Sort out the sizes of the waists, some of the older girls' wear is really ugly and isn't current with what dd and her friends are wearing.I think M&S cater better for boys and young girls and that's probably why I buy far less than I used to.

I like M&S baby ranges and buy them for gifts I think though considering how little wear the clothes get I'd probably go for cheaper options if I was buying for a baby myself.

WannaBeWildCosMyLifesSoTame Wed 16-May-12 13:50:43

I buy a fair bit of M&S stuff for my DD who's nearly 10. I find it's one of the few places that sells clothes which please both of us ie trendy enough for her but practical and not tarty enough for me. I don't think there's a huge variety although that may be because we don't often go to one of the very big stores, and there's more character-embellished stuff than I'd like (Hello Kitty or whatever is fine until they go off it then it's a perfectly good item of clothing that will never be worn again) but overall I think the quality is good, the prices are reasonable and the clothes are nice.

Cost is a high priority because things get grown out of so quickly but if it's something like eg a t-shirt that may last longer than say trousers (where it's obvious if they're too short) then quality is important to me ie will it wash and wear well and still look good in 6 months or a year. I'm not fussed about brands really and neither is my DD although at nearly 10 that may soon change! Style/design is very high priority for her and design/appropriateness for me - I don't want her to look like a toddler still but neither do I want her dressed like a teenager.

A mixture of both - online is invaluable for browsing in the comfort of your own home and the ability to search for something specific. Trying on at home is useful but if you order a lot and then want to return most of it that's a massive pain so sometimes in store is better. But being limited to after school/holidays/weekends means nearly always shopping when the stores are really busy which I find quite stressful so I would often check out what's available online first so I knew where to head for then make a quick exit!

Never really looked at the boys stuff but for girls, just more variety and probably more for older girls although I realise there may not be a market for this as once they hit teens they probably wouldn't be seen dead in M&S stuff - actually maybe that's what's needed, some way of making it cooler - God knows how you'd do that though.

I haven't bought from the baby ranges in a long time but I like the look of what I've seen recently.

R2PeePoo Wed 16-May-12 13:54:42

A regular buyer. Its good quality and I like the fact that there are lots of bright colours. DS has some fabulously brightly coloured socks etc from there. I don't buy as much as I would like as it is just slightly too expensive. I also buy clothes from supermarkets and H&M

Price is important, I have a set price in my head for various different qualities of clothes and I generally won't go over that. I would also like it to wash well and I tend not to buy anything white or coloured/white because of keeping it stain free. I prefer t-shirts plain or with simple pictures, no writing, no brands, nice and bright. Trousers must be adjustable at the waist and hardwearing. I won't buy princess stuff/skulls etc, I prefer animals and patterns. I won't buy things that say 'Little Monster' or 'Here comes trouble' etc. I don't buy brands or themed items (apart from Dr Who and Starwars).

I shop in store. I like to see and feel the clothes, check the sizing against my child etc. I don't tend to look online unless its for school uniform.

Remove the stupid extra papery label sewn in next to the care label. Its in everything I buy from M&S, from baby vests to children's pants.Its rough and far too long and I get really irritated cutting the bloody things out-not fun when its a multipack of vests or pants. Normal care labels are fine, but why do you need this extra one as well. On DS's size 2 pants they were positioned so that the label was in his bumcrack/between his legs all the time.
I loved the multicoloured packets of sleepsuits/vest for babies, but found the baby section far too focused on pink/blue/yellow. Iwanted to dress my DC in bright primary colours. I like the toddler clothes and DD loves the boys clothes in there, but the girls 5+ is pretty dire and we don't buy a huge amount. I also hate all the branded items (especially older girls sleepwear) and the ones covered in glitter. They don't seem to fit with the quality M&S brand. Some of the dresses are lovely, tomboy DD was delighted with a white one with green and yellow flowers on and no flouncey bits. More of those, less of the pink. She also got a fabulous shirt in green and orange/white check that she wears often and fits beautifully. DS has a gorgeous red/orange hoody we picked up in the sale that he gets lots of compliments on, no idea if it was from the boy or girl range and thats how it should be.
The sleepwear looks and feels cheap and I haven't bought any of it, ever. I like matching little pajama sets and good quality cotton with nice patterns.

See above. Love the multicoloured multipacks of vests etc, hated the blue/pink/yellow on everything else. Green is a nice colour, so is purple...and orange etc.

R2PeePoo Wed 16-May-12 14:00:19

Forgot to mention-I don't buy online because of the delivery charge, its seriously offputting when there is an M&S I can walk to in twenty minutes. I buy less in store however because the children have a limited attention span and whinge a lot after about thirty seconds.

DisBoCo Wed 16-May-12 14:07:54

Have you ever bought any M&S Kidswear? What's your overall opinion of it? If you're a regular buyer, what makes you buy? If you're not, is there anything specific that's stopping you? What other brands/shops do you buy kids' clothes from?

Yes, lots of it, primarily uniform. Good value because it lasts and wears well. Good choice of items. Tend to use Next for everyday things

Cost and value for money. When buying uniform quality is important as it will get washed so much. Colour and style for everyday clothes.

~ Do you tend to shop in store or online for kids' clothes and why? If you shop in store, do you look online at what items you might buy befo
rehand, or do you tend to go and see what takes your/your DC's fancy?

Almost entirely online. I have a reasonable idea of an M&S fit. However your sizes vary wildly and I am often only able to order if there are several reviews already. Shopping in stores is useless, you offer so little choice.

More packs of basics, Next do this very well. More bright colours and less pink!!! Please! More cotton dresses and less polyester. Keep basics in stock, waited 6 months for a school shirt to come in stock in the correct age.

Not enough bright colours. Too many 'best' clothes.

I love the size labels in the socks/tights (although the tights sizing is RUBBISH).
I love the zip up summer school dress, can't stand buttons!

DisBoCo Wed 16-May-12 14:09:10

Oh yes, and really resent paying delivery charges when I spend £50 or so.

missorinoco Wed 16-May-12 14:13:02

Have you ever bought any M&S Kidswear? What's your overall opinion of it? If you're a regular buyer, what makes you buy? If you're not, is there anything specific that's stopping you? What other brands/shops do you buy kids' clothes from?

Yes, I think it is good quality and I like it generally.
I also buy from Next. If it is in the sale I buy Boden, which is hard wearing.

All three. Currently money is tight, so cost is a bigger factor. I strongly dislike sexualised girls clothers, such as fitted t shirts for 2 year olds, or candy pink logos. I would not buy these however cheap they are. Over time I have noticed it is worth paying a little more for quality, the Next and M&S clothes bought for my first child are lasting to my second and sometimes my third child, but some ofthe cheaper items (e.g. Sainsburys) have disintegrated after the first child has worn them.

mainly on line. This is because I still have pre school children, and I tend not to shop with them.

I think M and S do too much of the blue for boy a\nd pink for girl range. I appreciate this may be what they want when they are older (although I suspect they have been conditioned into it in part by what we can buy them), but I turn away from rail upon rail of pink clothes for girls. And if I could get my hands on "Hello Kitty" she would be "Goodbye Kitty." Eugh.
I don't know about older children ,I haven't looked.

I liked these, but again, my baby daughter does not care if she is dressed in pink, purple, or spotted green, whereas I lose the will to like looking at all the pink and I am the one with the cash card. Try more more colours.

One last thing, I remember actively looking for a blue dress for my two year old daughter. The only one I could find was in Next, and it had sold out. There's a market out there M and S, think about it.

BirgitteNyborg Wed 16-May-12 14:15:28

Yes, I have bought M&S kidswear but usually only when I have been given a gift voucher to spend! I like the quality; I find it wears and washes well but it seems very expensive for the size it is and I would normally buy 2nd hand.

A complicated combination of cost and colour/design! I usually buy 2nd hand because they just grow out of them so fast and they get so grubby and need washing so often. However, it is nice to get exactly what you want sometimes or to buy something just because it's cute. I have no brand loyalty!

I tend to shop in store as I think the colours often look very different on-line and I like to browse and fondle the fabrics smile

I find the baby stuff is almost exclusively pink for girls and blue for boys. I would like to see more bright unisex colours and designs across all kids age ranges. I think in general the girls clothes are nicer. The boys tend to blue/black/brown and other dingy colours. Pleeeeeeeeeeease stop putting hoods on everything!

As above, more bright unisex colours in simple, comfy designs, that are easy for parents to put on wriggly babies/toddlers i.e. minimal buttons/poppers etc.

FreckledLeopard Wed 16-May-12 14:25:05

I rarely buy anything for DD from M&S other than school uniform, which is great quality, good value and easy to clean. In terms of general childrenswear, I find M&S to be lacking in terms of the 'early teens/tweens' age range, compared to shops where DD would prefer to spend her money (Topshop, Primark, H&M). DD is 11, would probably not be seen dead in M&S as it's too 'kiddy' for her liking - she does have a pretty strong fashion sense though so not entirely sure M&S is to blame. But if they did expand more into a 'teen' range then perhaps I would be a more regular customer.

babster Wed 16-May-12 14:54:06

I mostly buy school uniform from M&S - good fit, hard-wearing, true to size. As for the fashion clothing, I find the sizing very hit and miss, usually on the small side. I buy most kids' fashion clothing from H&M.

Brand is the least important of those. Colour/design would be the most important for the kids.

Yes, I browse online to see which shops are worth a visit, then take the children shopping so they can try it on (as my girls are of the age to be getting choosy). I'll buy pjs and undies online as that's pretty safe!

More reliable sizing. More stock. Brighter colours for boys and fewer characters.

Don't know, sorry. Baby years long gone!

HelloShitty Wed 16-May-12 15:06:04

~ I often look in M&S at kidswear, and occasionally buy it. What I've bought has been good value and good quality. However, there is not much choice in my local store and I'm put off by the seemingly vast amount of girls' stuff and one rail of boys'. My favourite High St shop for kids clothes is H&M because they're a little different from the norm and have lots of organic cotton t-shirts without pictures. Otherwise, Sainsbury's is about the best of the supermarkets.

~ All of those factors are important. The main thing that gets me reaching for my purse though, is something a little different. In the big stores, all the kids' clothes are the same! I want bright, colourful, clothes with motifs which aren't franchised characters. I want my boy to look like a little boy - not a soldier, monster, or Lightning McQueen. He doesn't want to wear blue all the time, he loves yellow (which M&S admittedly are quite good at!)

~ I shop mainly in store and buy on impulse rather than looking online first. I also have a couple of mail order only companies I buy from occasionally though. Buying kids' clothes is something I tend to do as part of a general shopping trip, whereas clothes shopping for myself is more of an event in itself. I want to be able to just see something, pick it up, pay and go.

~ M&S have got it part right I think. You will never please everyone as we all have different tastes. Your main competitors are the supermarkets I'd say, so keep prices down & quality up but offer us something the supermarkets don't - a nicer shopping experience? kids changing rooms? decent shoes? As I said before, I'm always disappointed by the disparity between boys/girls stuff. I know its the same in adults wear too, but there's so much scope to increase the range of boyswear. They're not all into dinosaurs and diggers.

~ It's been 3 years since I was looking at baby things, but I remember being disappointed with the tiny range available in M&S at the time. I had loads of vouchers and ended up buying blankets with them because I was desperate to buy baby things but had enough plain white babygros. As he got older I gave up looking because there was just one small rail of baby clothes in my local M&S (Malvern). New and expectant mums are just gagging to spend money on lovely baby things so a missed opportunity there.

My last comment is that I still regularly look in M&S Kidswear because I have had some really lovely things in the past - plain brightly coloured t-shirts, trousers which aren't blue/denim or khaki, etc - but I more often than not come quickly out again having had my eyes bombarded by camouflage and Thomas the Tank Engine.

Ramekin Wed 16-May-12 15:13:26

Yes, I have. I think it is generally reasonable quality, but I have bought things in the past that have become threadbare and holey very quickly.
The clothes seem to come up quite large, which I didn't like for DD1, as she is small, but is good for DD2, who isn't.
There are certain types of clothes I would automatically turn to M&S for - underwear, socks, tights etc, there is a good range, and they are usually nice and soft, and last well. I would also probably go there first when buying coats. I do look at their other clothes too, but it wouldn't necessarily be the first place I would turn.
I buy kids' clothes from a huge range of places- Tesco, Sainsbury's, H&M, C&A, John Lewis, Next, Boots, Boden, Jojo Maman Bebe, Lands End, Esprit, Aldi, markets, independent shops, Ebay, charity shops, jumble sales. Anywhere really (although I don't particularly like Mothercare or Primark)

I would say the most important factor for me is style/design. Not that something is "stylish" but that it is in a style that I like and that my daughter finds comfortable. Which is sometimes difficult to achieve! I would say quality is more important than cost - I have 2 daughters and would rather pay more for something that can be handed down to the younger one than pay less for something that won't last well.
Having said that, I won't buy something if it isn't a nice colour too!

I do both. I don't live in the UK at the moment, so I am doing more shopping online in UK shops that deliver overseas, as it is quite expensive here, but I do like to go to the shop itself when I can so that DD can try things on. I find that particularly with trousers we need to try them on as there is such a disparity with sizing.

I only have young daughters, so I don't really know about other ranges. I would say in general, things that make me more likely to buy are :
Good quality materials, ideally lots of organic cotton, nice and soft, maybe velour and towelling as well. Stuff that is practical for young children.
Clothing that is a good fit. I'd love to see something like Vertbaudet do, with 3 "fits" for the same item of clothing - ie slim fit, regular fit, relaxed fit. Those button adjustable waistbands are a nice idea in theory, but don't work that well for slim children like my daughter, you just end up with loads of fabric uncomfortably bunched up round the waist.
A nice range of colours, attractive patterns. Not too much pink, and definitely no idiotic slogans or meaningless sentences, or random numbers to try and make something look sporty (although this is generally for boy's clothes). I won't buy clothes with writing on them (a small logo is acceptable.)

I like the baby ranges - I particularly love the packs of bodysuits in rainbow colours. I wish you could get packs of vests for older children in these colours, I would definitely buy them.
I also used to love the padded reversible velour jackets and trousers you used to be able to get for babies, not sure if you still can. They were brilliantly practical and comfy.
I think the variety is good, as ever with baby ranges, it would always be nice to have more colours. Often you find a style you like, or that fits your baby, and then it is only available in that colour, when if there were more colours available you might buy them too.

My main comment is that the range is so small! We struggle to find anything there for our preteen dd. The boys socks are great for school though!

handbagCrab Wed 16-May-12 15:20:15

I regularly buy M and S clothing for Ds. I like M and S clothes for him because they are priced appropriately, wear well, wash well, tumble dry and I like lots of the designs. I also buy and receive good childrenswear from Sainsbury's, Asda and Debenhams.

My most important factors are that the clothes need to be able to be washed at 40 degrees, be able to be tumble dried and will not run colour into his other clothes. After this it is the design for me, providing it's a reasonable price. I really like Indigo at M and S for baby clothes as I like the animal designs and bright colours used.

I'm half and half currently for shopping in person and online. I do like M and S baby clothes, but I find in lots of stores the range is limited, even in large stores such as the Trafford Centre.

I think M and S could perhaps offer more promotions on baby clothes (and who wouldn't say that!). Also, as I've mentioned I love bright colours used sometimes in the baby ranges and uses of animals beyond dogs for boys and rabbits for girls. I'd like even more bright colours and different animals please and a bit more choice in items that aren't baby blue as the last few times I've had a look, over half the choices for boys have been blah baby blue. I say that because other shops do those type of clothes so it's all a bit too samey. Which is a shame as I need to buy more clothes as Ds has grown again!

turtles Wed 16-May-12 15:32:08

I buy a few bits of kidswear and get given a few bits by a relative. I really like it and always assume it's good quality. I buy from Boots, supermarkets, H&M, sometimes Next and Gap.

The most important factors are cost then colour/design. I look for cheaper versions and classic items e.g polo shirts, jeans, plain striped T-shirts.

I don't generally buy online because it's easier to pick up stuff when I'm at the shops and hold it up against the kids to check sizes. I do look online a lot for ideas and inspiration, and to see what's available before I drag the kids round the whole clothing section.

I've got 3 boys, oldest is 4 so we've only seen and tried a limited range of M&S kidswear. There seems to be a really good range of classic, smart casual and surf style which is what I usually go for. The main thing I look for is bright and bold colours and patterns, and classic kids clothes rather than mini versions of adult styles.

I love the baby clothes, sadly my youngest has just about outgrown it!

CMOTDibbler Wed 16-May-12 15:35:52

I feel like I look at M&S kids stuff a lot, but rarely buy any (apart from pants) as the boys clothes are generally so downright boring, and all blue (or the weird aqua colour sometimes), and as ds is in age 7-8 now, even worse in the older boys. And don't even get me started on trousers !

I buy in H&M as they have nice basic pieces in great colours and funky styles, and Joules as the colours are great. I especially like coloured skinny jeans as ds dislikes regular jeans and joggers are yeuch imo - he is currently sporting lovely green Joules ones and red Next girls jeans.

The girls stuff seems much nicer, and the baby stuff is lovely.

SootySweepandSue Wed 16-May-12 15:40:49

Well I just spent 10 mins doing an answer and it has got lost on the click of a button..oh well, sorry M&S.

Pooka Wed 16-May-12 15:52:20

Have bought school wear and kids clothes for my three.

In general the quality is good although the boys school trousers did not tend to wear very well or to have the same level of quality as Next school trousers.

I recently looked at the older girlswear and loathed pretty much everything apart from a pretty indigo collection lightweight cardigan and a pair of cropped jeans (which came with a vile belt, which I've taken off).

The colours are grim - too bright, too pink, too logo-ed.

I'd like boys t shirts without naff rubbery logos. Colours that are more interesting, more Nordic, more varied (for girls). Fewer sequins and less bling.

I buy kids clothes from mini boden, fat face, next and John Lewis. I wish the range of clothes provided was more akin to John Lewis which tends to at least have a less pink-centric glittery theme going on. I find mini boden to be better quality and more interesting (though also more expensive). Next is good because such a huge range you can usually find something (and ignore ranges that don't appeal). I also like gap for quality, sizing and style.

Another issue I currently have with m&s is the sizing. It used to be that the clothes came up rather big - great, can be grown into. Dd is nearly 9, average height and weight is proportionate. But I'm having to buy age 11 trousers because the fit is just wrong - very narrow waisted. Dd is still very pre-pubescent. Hsnt got a waist yet. But the clothes just seem too narrow.

I don't buy online - hate the website and find it irritating.

R the m&s baby range, I found it to be rather limited. Too many appliqués and character stuff and not enough cool neutrals.

Pooka Wed 16-May-12 15:54:08

And more knickers in plain white/colours other than sugary pink please. Same goes for boys pants - can they not be plain instead of having cartoon characters on the willy.

Always appear to be stock issues with vests and socks - for some reason always in dd's size!

cosmiccat Wed 16-May-12 15:59:31

~ Have you ever bought any M&S Kidswear? What's your overall opinion of it? If you're a regular buyer, what makes you buy? If you're not, is there anything specific that's stopping you? What other brands/shops do you buy kids' clothes from? I am a regular buyer. Buying clothes is easy - we have a big store nearby, I shop online and I like that I can return items as getting kids to a changing room is hard! I also buy from Next, occasionally from John Lewis.

~ When you're shopping for kids' clothes, what are the most important factors? Is it cost, quality, colour/design, style or brand/label? Or a complicated combination of all of those?! I buy clothes that I like or think the kids will like. I don't buy for a specific brand/label. I like clothes that fit (adjustable waists are essential for my children) and clothes that are of reasonable quality. Price is important particulary for kids clothes but M&S clothes are average prices.

~ Do you tend to shop in store or online for kids' clothes and why? If you shop in store, do you look online at what items you might buy beforehand, or do you tend to go and see what takes your/your DC's fancy? I shop online and instore. Recently it seems to be getting harder and harder to find the right size instore so often end up coming home and ordering online.

~ Is there anything that you think M&S could do to encourage you to buy their kidswear? Or buy it more often if you already buy it? Is there anything missing from their kidswear ranges that you'd like to see more of? Do you think they cater for certain ages better than others? Or for boys better than girls or vice versa? *I am not buying as much girls clothing as I used to. I just don't like many of the older girl designs. I think a lot of them are geared to 10+ age and seem impractical and not so pretty. I see lots I would like in the younger girl range I like. I get frustrated by the huge amount of Hello Kitty stuff, fine if you or your daughter likes it. Boys stuff is easier but I find the older boy sizing strange 5-6yrs then 7-8yrs. Lately there seems to have been a lack of choice in basic clothes for boys eg jeans. I find M&S sizes tend to be small compared with other shops - which is fine if you know."

~ Thinking specifically about the M&S baby ranges, what's your overall opinion of these? Do you think there's enough variety? Is there anything you'd like to see more of? I don't have any babies any more sad.

Bunbaker Wed 16-May-12 16:04:57

~ Have you ever bought any M&S Kidswear? What's your overall opinion of it? If you're a regular buyer, what makes you buy? If you're not, is there anything specific that's stopping you? What other brands/shops do you buy kids' clothes from? Yes.
Nice quality and washes well

Size, size, size. DD is long and lean, and clothes shopping for her is very difficult

In store because DD needs to try clothes on

Offer more longer trouser lengths. And please, please, please put some children's changing rooms in the Meadowhall store

Frontpaw Wed 16-May-12 16:06:27

I tend to get underwear and school uniform (I get this online as they never see to have the right shirts in stock). I don't get shoes but have bought wellies from here.

They do good 'smart' trousers and shirts for little boys and the girls' dresses are pretty and not too expensive. I love the elasticised waists on the trousers. The main things for me is durability - kids trash things so quickly (so I don't understand why designers make 'distressed' clothes for kids). I have naff or inappropriate slogans on children's clothes (not that I've seen any in m&s).

Kids thermals are good too. And they tend to do the character clothes that DS is in to - spiderman etc.

I get a lot of clothes sent over from the US as they are a hell of a lot cheaper than here. Here I get them from Gap, when younger from Catamini, Petit Bateau, John Lewis... Visitors from abroad love the m&s brand clothes though.

Id like to see more 'basics' in a variety of colours - plain tshirts, trousers, jogging pants... As we mums a always having to rustle up costumes at the last minute ('mum, did I tell you that I need to go to school tomorrow dressed up as a giraffe?')

meep Wed 16-May-12 16:24:35

I buy from M&S - the only thing stopping me is tat the one in our city centre doesn't stock very much. The clothes are good quality - though sizing is very very big. My 4.5yo is wearing 2yo leggings and my 3yo is wearing an 18mo dress! I also buy from John Lewis, Sainsburys, Asda and pumpkin patch

cost, colour/design and quality
M&S sales are awesome and I regularly get amazing bargains

I look online at M&S before I go in to buy anything. Can be annoying when teh city centre store doesn't have all the online clothes though.

I haven't reached the older girls ranges yet. The younger girls clothes are lovely and I wouldn't change them at all. You used to do mix and match pyjama sets which were fantastic - would love to see them back!

very pink and blue - bright colours would be better

crazygracieuk Wed 16-May-12 16:28:32

== I LOVE the younger boys range.The price and quality is great, designs are great. Bright colours (quite unusual in my opinion) The older boys range is good price wise but not keen on designs of tops (bottoms are ok). I do not like slogans on T-shirts- especially negative ones that suggest "I'm miserable" sort of thing. The younger girls and older girls ranges are ok in terms of design but I wouldn't buy my daughter's whole wardrobes from there.
My son (11) mainly wears Gap and H&M
My daughter (9) mainly wears H&M
My son (5) wears mainly M&S and some H&M

== As a mum to 2 boys quality is important. I will pay more if I can pass down clothes to my younger son. My older children are definitely more fashion conscious than when they were younger. They have definite ideas on how they want to look but they are more interested in design than designer. They know of some designer labels but have never said that they want an item of clothing from a specific shop.
My younger son is also design conscious. He can be seduced with the right characters (say Moshi Monsters, Lego, Star Wars...) but it doesn't have to be a commercial character (he'd go for a generic robot, dinosaur...)
Adjustable waists are a must as all 3 of mine are skinny and find belts a pain.

==I take my kids with me for shoes as I can't be bothered with returning stuff but usually buy everything else myself. If we are browsing I gauge their opinion on clothes (for example what's better jeans or jeggings?) and would take it into consideration but untimately I choose.

== I LOVE the little boys range. Older boys is ok for trousers, nightwear is pricier than other shops and socks, pants is ok.
I think it would be better if there was more overlap with the ranges for girls as I remember my daughter getting to about 7 and the older girls range seeming too old. If younger girls is 0-6 and older girls is 6-12 then maybe making the ranges 0-8 and6-12 would cover the girls 6-8 with tastes that fit the younger range better.
I find trousers really tricky. My children are all tall for their age but need waists for younger kids so maybe you could make trousers with different lengths or fits (slim fit etc) would be better?
I'd like to see more unisex clothing. I like H&M and have bought many tops that both my sons and daughters have worn. Have you considered Thomas the Tank Engine or Star Wars T-shirts in pink? Dora or Peppa Pig T-shirts in blue? With the latter why IS Peppa aimed at the girls and George at the boys?

If I remember correctly, M&S was very pink and blue. I'd like to see more brights that could be either sex- oranges, reds, greens...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now