This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Do you have a child with asthma? Please share your experiences with Lloydspharmacy and you could win a £100 John Lewis voucher

(76 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Apr-12 11:31:59

Lloydspharmacy would like to hear how Mumsnetters and their DC with asthma manage their symptoms and where they go for advice. Here is what Lloydspharmacy says about why it's working with Mumsnetters: "One in 11 children in the UK has asthma and it is the most common long-term medical condition for children. During April and May, Lloydspharmacy is blowing the whistle on asthma - we'd love to hear your views on how your DC cope with their asthma. We're also offering a free asthma check-up where we’ll take the time to discuss your concerns and advise on how your child can get the most from their asthma medicines."

So if you have a child with asthma, Lloydspharmacy would like to hear your thoughts on the questions below. We know that asthma can range from very severe to mild, so please only answer the questions where you feel comfortable doing so.

~ How well controlled is your child's asthma? How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms?
~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here.
~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why?
~ Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? If so, why? If not, why not?

Please feel free to add any other comments you may have on this. Everyone who adds their comments to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 John Lewis voucher. Please note that your comments may appear in an email MNHQ will be sending out.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

LackaDAILYcarb Thu 26-Apr-12 17:02:10

in my low carb disguise, but it is me, honest guv grin

LackaDAILYcarb Thu 26-Apr-12 17:00:40

OMG OMG....grin grin grin

<never wins anything disbelief>

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:59:17

Thanks to everyone who has added their comments to this thread - Lloydspharmacy really appreciate it and your hints/tips may appear in an email from Mumsnet soon!

I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the prize draw is...

Lackadaisycal

A £100 John Lewis voucher is yours! I'll PM you to get your details.

badger01 Mon 23-Apr-12 14:41:23

~ How well controlled is your child's asthma? How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms?
I have a boy of 6 who suffers with asthma. He copes quite well with his symptoms and asks for his blue puffer at school if he needs it.
I listen to how he feels and manage his symptoms that way. He was diagnosed when he was 3 and is great at communicating how he is to me. Believing them when they tell you they have a tight chest or 'tummy ache' is the key to managing symptoms.

~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here.
Luckily my son has always been good at taking his inhaler so i don't have to encourage him. I suggest taking their favourite teddy bear to the astma reviews and putting the inhaler on them first is a good way of reassuring the child that it is ok.

~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why?
My child is under a consultant at hospital and he is a good listener and very thorough in finding out information and managing my sons symptoms. I went to the local gp surgery for his asthma review and was advised against the consultants advice to reduce his preventer medicine to the next strength down and he had a full blown asthma attack.

~ Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? If so, why? If not, why not?
I haven't ever asked a pharmacist for advice about asthma as I am well informed by the consultant and I didnt realise that they offered advice on managing asthma symptoms. I would consider asking for advice from a pharmacy in the future.

PatsysPyjamas Fri 20-Apr-12 23:29:02

~ How well controlled is your child's asthma?
Fairly well. Pre-diagnosis aged 3 she had 6 hospital visits (A&E or overnight) in 6 months. Very frustrating as I am asthmatic and recognised the symptoms. Now aged 5.5 she has not been admitted to hospital in 2.5 years.

How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms?
I always thought you could only give 2 puffs of the salbutamol inhaler at a time, but was advised by doctors that it's fine to give up to 10 at a time.

I know from myself that warm water - steam, baths, showers, swimming - seams to help, while cold damp air does the opposite.

My daughter is only 5, so I administer her preventative inhaler. She is getting better at asking for the blue one, but often has to be
reminded.

Within 6 months. Her asthma has been fairly constant, so not hugely useful on this occasion, however, I like the fact she has the review.

I don't think I have, no. I suppose as I am asthmatic I assume I know most general info, and for anything serious I would consult her GP.

bubby64 Mon 16-Apr-12 12:00:19

~How well controlled is your child's asthma? - Fairly well controlled, it is closely linked with hayfever, and he tends to have more problems during the height of the season.
~How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? - He copes much better now, as he is now 11, and can understand what is happening, when small, he used to panic a lot, which, obviously, made things a lot worse.
~Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms?- Again- knowledge helps, and also using the turbohaler, as it slows the whole process down and ensures a better dosage.
~How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here- It has always been Take Inhaler then Clean teeth, drummed into him morning and night with his preventer, its automatic now for him. With his ventolin, he does not take that too often, and lets me know when and why, as it is such a rare thing nowdays, thank God!
~When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why?- He is reviewed regularly every 6 months at the Asthma Clinic along with myself (a fellow sufferer). I find that it is useful for him to be reminded that his symptoms are well controlled as he is taking his preventers, not despite of taking them! He did have an extra appointment and change of treatment last summer, as his symtoms increased, and he was due to go away on a week long school trip.
~Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? If so, why? If not, why not? - Don't see why not, although I am an Asthma sufferer as well as a nurse, and so haven't really had the need to do this.

MrsS3 Sun 15-Apr-12 01:34:08

~ How well controlled is your child's asthma? was great til a month ago... How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? ok, mostly (but not tonight)
Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms? going slowly with inhalers - children do like to rush!
~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? chart
How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? chart
Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here. we use a home made laminated timetable with stuff to stick on. Works for us.
~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? not useful and "advice" and action was clearly useless, causing huge deterioration and now we are relying on ventolin - she's had 4 lots today sad Why? a month ago : new paed SHO took her off steroid medication without consulting why she was on it, which was multi-purpose. It looks like she will have to get admitted to childrens ward tonight or tomorrow as a result, her asthma is much worse now. Idiots.
~ Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? haven't done so far, but would happily do so If so, why? advice likely to be good If not, why not?

AwShucks Sat 14-Apr-12 23:24:12

Ignore it and hope it goes away.

tleaf Sat 14-Apr-12 14:48:47

Young pharmacist recommended teenage relative to also use the BUTEYKO technique of shallow breathing. As a result there is much better control of symptoms and reduction in prescribed meds.

Sirzy Sat 14-Apr-12 14:16:27

How well controlled is your child's asthma? better than it was, still not perfect

How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? very well, he sees it as 'normal' having it it since he was so young

Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms? Trying not to make it a big issue just part of day to day life

How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here. He is only 2 so I ensure his inhalers and granuals are done each day, it is part of his routine so he now asks for them anyway and does when he needs his ventolin.

When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why? Every 3 months at the hospital, last appointment was very useful as he was started on singulair which has made a big difference.

Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? If so, why? If not, why not? only with regards to checking if he is allowed other items of medication

~ How well controlled is your child's asthma? reasonably well, frequency of hospital admissions are reducing

How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms?*brilliantly. He's very matter-of-fact about it*

Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms? he gets rewarded after an episode - taken out for a treat, or a trip to a charity shop with a fiver to spend on whatever he likes. It's a reward for tolerating the treatment and to make up for whatever he's missed out on at the time"

~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? it's his Darth Vader Puffer - the spacer makes his breathing noisy so we say lines from the film. I'm a Star Wars geek...

How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? I turst him, he takes responsibility for it - he's six and is old enough t understand that it keeps him well

Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here. Use it, or get sick. He's happy with that scenario

~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? 6 weeks

How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? brilliant
Why? They understand his condition really well, they pay real attention to him and have figured out some allergies we were unaware of. They are really, really child friendly. I am very grateful for their help, the thought of living somewhere without free healthcare is a sovering one - we'd be down a kid for sure

~ Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? yes, happily
so, why? because, sometimes, it's hard to know when things are ok, and when you are being a neurotic mother. It's reassuring to know that I can get a pharmacist to cast their eye over him and advise carry on/GP/A+E. I have a good relationship with our pharmacist since the minor injuries scheme came on board - in fact, I think their service has kept me sane.

magnolia74 Sat 14-Apr-12 11:25:57

How well controlled is your child's asthma? How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms?
Pretty well controlled. She has 2 pumps, one for daily use and one for symptom relief as well as a peak flow meter.

Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms?
A cold is her main trigger so as soon as she feels poorly she increases her medication. We also monitor her peak flow.

~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler?
I don't need to, she is 8 and knows when she needs it.

How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not?
She keeps it downstairs so I always know when its being used

Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler?
If so, please do share them here.
Give them as much control as you can, most kids like a bit of control wink

~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional?
Last month

How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why?
Slightly useful as we discuss if her medication is working ok.

No, i would prefer to talk to the Asthma Nurse or G.P as I feel they have had relevant training and have experience and knowledge to give advice.

Suicidal ideation???!!! Omg

theresafire Sat 14-Apr-12 09:05:21

Different pc different name, ha ha.

blush

theresafire Sat 14-Apr-12 09:04:19

No probs,

I mentioned it to a second paediatrician who recommened it for my DS. He went and googled and when I saw him the next day,
(hosp admission) he was quite surprised and said that now the actual Singulair website states suicidal ideation as a side effect.

No thanks, I'll stick with flixotide for now.

shock

God the side effects sound worse than problem they r designed to help. Thanks for the tip ilove !!!

Ilovethedoctor Sat 14-Apr-12 00:35:45

Just a short note to Mums, if your child is prescribed Singulair thoroughly google it first.

LineRunner Fri 13-Apr-12 21:05:06

How well controlled is your child's asthma? How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms?
We are doing ok, DS was only diagnosed at age 13 last year. We learned a lot via MN threads, eg avoid Lynx type sprays etc!

How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here.
DS is old enough to accept a reminder in the morning to use reliever if he is coughing. We do not have a preventer.

When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why?
GP appointment in December. She advised us to call the asthma clinic for an appointment if we were concerned, which seems fair.

Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? If so, why? If not, why not?
No, this has never been suggested. I would consider it, if I thought it were appropriate, yes.

zippy539 Fri 13-Apr-12 20:31:45

~ How well controlled is your child's asthma? How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms? Pretty well controlled at the moment - it seems to be getting easier as he gets older (diagnosed at 2, now 10). He hasn't had a hospital admission since he was 6. He copes well with symptoms - can identify the difference between an asthma cough and a regular one so not so much random inhaler use these days. Regular use of the brown inhaler especially during autumn/winter seems to help a lot.

~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here. DS hasn't ever need encouragement to use the inhaler - in fact left to his own devices he uses his blue inhaler far too much. It's quite hard to monitor if he's taking it/how much he's taking when he's out playing/at school - especially as dh is also asthmatic so we have loads of inhalers around the place!

~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why? I think it was about six months ago. Tbh I've never found the reviews hugely useful - they always seem quite vague without any concrete suggestions as to how to improve things. Perhaps that's the nature of asthma - different for everyone, but in the early days I would have liked more info at reviews about identifying triggers etc. Have learnt by trial and error but less 'error' would have been nice!

~ Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? If so, why? If not, why not? To be honest, no. I don't think it's ever occurred to me. The exception is when I'm getting meds for something else and I'm asked if ds has asthma because of contra-indications. Generally I've relied on GP and NHS24 for advice in scary situations. It's good to be reminded though that pharmacists can be used for health advice.

mrspnut Fri 13-Apr-12 19:20:05

DD2's asthma is pretty well controlled using the preventer inhaler and only occasional use of her reliever inhaler. It tends to go to pot during the school holidays though and she has been more wheezy this week because our routine changes and her inhaler use becomes more sporadic.
We have to remind her to use her preventer, and we do it for her, counting the breaths through the spacer ( she has the small Aerochamber). However, if I don't remember then it can be missed unless it is a school day when it is the routine. DD2 does know when she needs her reliever and will ask to have it both at home and at school.
Her last review was in January with the asthma nurse at the practice who is fab. She is very knowledgeable and gives us a lot of advice. It also helps that she is a mum at the school too so sees us most days.
I haven't bothered because our local Pharmacist looks about 12, and it is easier to have a quick word with the nurse or ring the surgery for the GP triage service instead.

watfordmummy Thu 12-Apr-12 23:18:31

Ds2 is 9 now, and has had asthma since around 4, he has hayfever so his asthma is worse in the summer, and we brown inhaler then

find it hard to make sure takes it, although as he has got older he can see the cause and effect of taking it, so is better now

he has an annual appointment at our GPs with the asthma nurse, which he found helpful, as she reviews they way he takes his inhaler to ensure as he is doing it more himself he is doing it correctly

as we need to get multiple inhalers at once (school likes to have spares) have sought advice for repeat prescriptions for them from our friendly pharmacist Ds2 and his friend used to have club asthma, which they saw as good as club penguin!, they didn't see having it as being bad, but as a badge of honour! grin

Tina2003 Thu 12-Apr-12 22:57:02

~ How well controlled is your child's asthma?
Both my chidlren, aged 13 and 8 suffered from asthma, it was pretty well controlled for both until 2 weeks ago when the oldest one had a very bad scare.

How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms?
They have both gotten pretty good and are very mature in dealing with symptoms etc.

Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms?
I believe explaining to them what is happening and why the need for taking care of themselves is important

~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler?
Like another Mum said, I don't encourage I sit next to them and monitor it carefully that it is well done. This way I know when it has to be done and I am not prsent they know the correct way

Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here.
The onlt thing I always say is to remember what can happen if you don't, I know it is a scare tactic but works for me and them!

~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional?
Last review was 2 weeks ago.

How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why?
I found it very useful, GP took her time and explained to my eldest what was happening, the consequences and treatment needed.

Not really, never thought about it. Maybe in the future.

TheSecondComing Thu 12-Apr-12 19:15:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrunchyFrog Thu 12-Apr-12 18:55:18

How well controlled is your child's asthma? pretty well, steroid inhaler 2 puffs bd, blue when wheezy or night time cough.

How well do they cope with their asthma symptoms? He's brilliant, is very good at knowing when he needs his reliever.

Have you picked up any techniques along the way that you find help them cope with their symptoms? I have asthma, so know that remaining calm etc help - also, warm non-milky drinks and steamy rooms help me.

~ How do you encourage your child to take their inhaler? How do you monitor if they have taken their inhaler or not? Do you have any handy hints or tips for encouraging/motivating your child to take their inhaler? If so, please do share them here. *He does not appear to need motivating, he's absolutely brilliant at doing it himself! I supervise, and he uses a spacer.

~ When did your child last have a review of their asthma with a healthcare professional? How useful, or not, did you and/or your child find this review? Why? With the GP, about 2 weeks ago. Very useful, excellent advice and information and an offer of referral to a respiratory specialist.

~ Have you, or would you ever, consider asking a pharmacist for advice relating to asthma? If so, why? If not, why not? Not really, as past experience has shown that they would just tell me to go to my GP!

Have learned loads just reading this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now