This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

THREAD NOW CLOSED How do you feel about talking about mental health?

(103 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Aug-11 09:34:36

Time to Change is "England's biggest ever attempt to end stigma and discrimination towards people with mental health problems". Mumsnet has been asked by Time to Change to find out how you feel about starting a conversation on mental health. The thread is open to everyone, regardless of their experiences with mental health.

Time to Change has released results to a new survey of adults which found that people often talk to their GP (26%) or partner (37%) first before going directly to a close family member, such as a parent or sibling.

They'd like to know what you think and about any experiences you may be able to share. Talking about mental health would include concerns you have about yourself and also about concerns you may have about family and friends.

We have some questions to get you thinking but they would welcome all comments and thoughts.

~ Why do you think it's still so hard for some people to talk openly to families about mental health? Should it be talked about more openly when there is an issue?

~ In your opinion are families the biggest stigmatisers?

~ Who would you speak to first if you were worried about your own mental health?

~ Would you find this difficult? Why?

~ Who would you speak to if you were concerned about the mental health of someone in your family or a friend? Would you find this difficult? Why?

And if you can please do tell us your own experiences of this if you have any.

Thanks
MNHQ
For more information you can also visit their facebook page.

Tee2072 Tue 28-Aug-12 13:54:14

I thought this looked familiar!

HQ, did anything ever come out of it?

FTRsMammy Wed 21-Nov-12 21:15:18

I suffered from post natal depression for over 2 years after my DS ( soon to be 4 ) was born, I also had in diagnosed PTSD stemming from his traumatic delivery. I'm lucky that my family were amazing, sadly that's because most of them have suffered depression at some point.
My DHs family are much less aware if MH conditions and didn't really know how to be with me or what to say but not because they didn't want to be supportive, they were just out of their comfort zone.
I didn't really discuss my MH with anyone while I was ill, however I'm now very open about it and don't see why I shouldn't be.
If my experience can help someone recognise some symptoms in themselves, then great.
I think it's very difficult to discuss someone else's suspected MH issues as a lot of people are in denial about their own symptoms or simply don't see them as a by-product or their illness.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Nov-12 11:27:21

Hi - just spotted these recent posts - this thread is now closed as it's an old thread (and sorry I should have marked it as such before).

If anyone wants any info on mental health issues please do take a look at the Time to Change website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now