This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Beating babies' blocked-up noses: we need your tips, please

(93 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Sep-10 14:30:52

Does your baby ever get a stuffy or blocked nose? If so, you'll know that it can make sleeping and feeding difficult - for both of you.

The folks at Sterimar Baby natural nasal spray would like to hear your tips on beating baby snuffles.

Do you know a brilliant blocked-up-nose beater? Or maybe a clever way to help a snuffly baby feed more easily? Or perhaps a genius tip that'll help a baby full of cold sleep better at night?

If so, please post it here on this thread. Everyone who sends in an idea, tip or suggestion will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 of Mothercare vouchers.

Please note that your tips may be published on Mumsnet at a later date.

pebblejones Mon 27-Sep-10 16:03:48

Saline drops or sit in the bathroom with DS for 5 minutes with the shower going. Followed by letting my DS roll around on my bed... I find tummytime helps bring bogeys out. But you do end up with a bed covered in bogeys .

Well I am in Hungary and the Hungarians swear by using an "Orsivo Porsivo". Here

You attach it to your vacuum cleaner!!!

if you are breastfeeding just squirt some BM up baby's nose

JiggeryPopery Mon 27-Sep-10 16:12:00

I have only read the thread title - I offer you this:

you must never beat your baby's nose, blocked up or not.

Back to the dark ages, Sterimar!

babber Mon 27-Sep-10 16:18:56

my poor littl DS had the worst blocked nose when he was only 2 weeks old... it wasn't snotty... just completely congested. It was almost impossible for him to feed properly. I used saline drops on advice of HV which helped a lot as did the steamy bathroom scenario...
was horrible sticking drops up his tiny nostrils but it did seem to help

greensnail Mon 27-Sep-10 16:30:15

ooh, a new product to add to my snotbusting repertoire Buda. Might not help with my DD's hoover phobia though.

readinginsteadnow Mon 27-Sep-10 17:05:57

iirc, we did nothing except propping the cot up on an angle. I have no idea whether I was a slack omther or whether we just didnt get too many bunged up babies blush

SparkyMalarky Mon 27-Sep-10 17:26:07

Poor DD got her for at cold at 3 weeks old - we still seem to get one every couple of months now

We always - prop the mattress up at one end, put karvol on a hanky near by and a damp tea towel on the radiator (keeps the air in the room moist or something) and a snot sucker (think it's a Nuk one - like a big bulb - it was too big for DDs very small nostrils at first!)

scrappydappydoo Mon 27-Sep-10 17:32:46

Childrens Olbas oil is great - liberally sprinkled on sheets and clothes. Also sit them in the bathroom with shower on - the steam helps..

ItsAllaBitNoisy Mon 27-Sep-10 17:44:28

I keep reading Beating Babies. shock

MinkyBorage Mon 27-Sep-10 18:02:26

only thing that ever worked for me was actually physically sucking the snot out for them. Gross, but effective!

Feed your baby curry (for the over six month olds - mine both loved a chicken korma from that age. Or you can feed them ginger biscuits which are also a decongestant.

Flighttattendant Mon 27-Sep-10 18:09:44

those sucking things are really, really painful. I tried it on myself once and it made me weep.

So I understand now why my children won't let me NEAR them with it.

FloraFinching Mon 27-Sep-10 18:15:51

the karvol vaporiser thing is really good
I half wanted it to be rubbish, so I wouldn't need to fork out for the refills
but it really does work

pebblejones Mon 27-Sep-10 19:00:25

Actually I have another one, my Dr told me to let my DS sleep in his carseat instead of his cot. Because he was upright and strapped in. I didn't, I propped ip the mattress like the other posters on this thread.

Cies Mon 27-Sep-10 19:09:38

Poor ds got his first cold at 3 weeks, despite being bf (much to dh's incredulity - think he thought bf was a magic wand which removed even the poosibility of getting ill).

Anyway, we found saline drops combined with a snot sucker to be the best thing.

I didn't know about bm up the nose - do you sqirt it from the boob or from a syringe. I think ds would latch on if he saw a boob so close to his mouth.

lal123 Mon 27-Sep-10 19:10:00

Put a couple of pillows under cot mattress to raise baby's head.

Turning on the shower full blast on hottest setting to make bathroom steamy and keeping baby in there for 20 mins

Saline drops were good

The sucky things just didn't work for us

Mumcentreplus Mon 27-Sep-10 19:19:34

My DH sucked the baby bogey out with his mouth...now thats love! grin

I used olbas oil on a tissue above baby's head ..and/or used a cotton bud to remove mucus.

CakesAndMuffins Mon 27-Sep-10 19:32:32

Humidifier overnight, definitely the best thing ever!

I also second baby chest rub - works so well and I love the smell.

MmmNicePlace Mon 27-Sep-10 19:56:27

1] Breast milk or boiled cooled water up the nose.

2] Nose clear sucker after above

3] Keep nostrils moisturised

4] Prop mattress up 2"/5cm where head is

5] Room humidifer

6] always lay baby on same side as upper nostril stays clearer of snot

7] Lots of outdoor time helps dry up snot for a short while

MegBusset Mon 27-Sep-10 19:57:45

DS2 got loads of colds as a newborn, we got through a lot of saline drops although I reckon they annoyed him more than the snot itself. Children's Olbas too although I don't think you're supposed to use it under 3 months, I've no idea why.

asuwere Mon 27-Sep-10 20:00:27

readinginsteadnow I have been reading thread thinking same thing - am I bad mother or do I have healthy kids?

I have propped mattress up a bit and I do sometimes use karvol on a muslin tied to the cot.

Also, have a tissue handy when feeding to get rid of any snot left on boob before it gets dried to bra!

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels Mon 27-Sep-10 20:01:08

<snort> at title

countrybump Mon 27-Sep-10 20:50:51

Children's Olbas oil is great - put some on a muslin or a flannel and leave it in the cot.

I prop the cot or mattress up a bit.

And lots of cuddles! Sit them upright for a bit.

MisSalLaneous Mon 27-Sep-10 21:34:08

My Lithuanian cleaner recommends massaging their feet with Vodka! shock She also made dh drink Vodka with black pepper when he had a cold. grin

<<Disclaimer - I never have, neither would I recommend, the child version mentioned above>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now