This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED Beating babies' blocked-up noses: we need your tips, please

(93 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Sep-10 14:30:52

Does your baby ever get a stuffy or blocked nose? If so, you'll know that it can make sleeping and feeding difficult - for both of you.

The folks at Sterimar Baby natural nasal spray would like to hear your tips on beating baby snuffles.

Do you know a brilliant blocked-up-nose beater? Or maybe a clever way to help a snuffly baby feed more easily? Or perhaps a genius tip that'll help a baby full of cold sleep better at night?

If so, please post it here on this thread. Everyone who sends in an idea, tip or suggestion will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 of Mothercare vouchers.

Please note that your tips may be published on Mumsnet at a later date.

Poledra Mon 27-Sep-10 14:38:43

Squirt some breast milk into their nose - works a treat to clear it enough for feeding.

Not sure this is a marketable idea mind................ grin

misdee Mon 27-Sep-10 14:42:50

pick thir nose for them?

no seriously, baby vicks rubbed on their feet works wonders. no idea why. but it works.

Indith Mon 27-Sep-10 14:44:46

I've generally tended to squirt breast milk up there. If you get a good lot up then the next sneeze usually clears things out a bit or if desperate suck on their nose although that is a little vomit inducing. For sleep just prop the cot up and prepare to spend the night sitting up in bed with a baby on your chest. Once they get past 3 months though you can use snufflebabe.

Just let it settle with time

Poledra Mon 27-Sep-10 14:46:27

Ah, Indith, I seem to remember a thread where you and I talked Stealth into the breastmilk thing - she really did not believe us till she tried it!

CMOTdibbler Mon 27-Sep-10 14:46:27

I was going to suggest squirting bm up their nose <humph>

Failing that, a Karvol plug in diffuser (or, more cheaply, a couple of drops in an aromatherapy diffuser) works wonders here

curlywurlycremeegg Mon 27-Sep-10 14:48:13

Am afraid I collude with Indith and suck it out, to great squeels of "erughh" from DH and DS1 (15) grin

oopsandbabycoconuts Mon 27-Sep-10 14:48:18

We use saline nose drops in our house on the older ones - wonderfully named as 'snot drops' by DD1 and brest milk for DD2.

RunningOutOfIdeas Mon 27-Sep-10 14:49:19

Eucalyptus oil rubbed on the feet works for coughs and colds.

kveta Mon 27-Sep-10 14:50:01

I fed DS in the bathroom after I'd had a hot shower a few times - it was steamy and that helped his blocked nose. That was when he was a newborn with a cold though. I can't feed him in the bathroom anymore as he gets too distracted by everything. Now we use baby olbas oil on a tissue near the head of his cot - not sure how effective it is on him, but DH hasn't had a blocked nose since we started using it!!

going Mon 27-Sep-10 14:53:07

I used to tie a muslin with a couple of drops of Karvol on on to the cot.

Indith Mon 27-Sep-10 14:53:24

grin Poledra

greensnail Mon 27-Sep-10 14:55:09

We use a snot-sucker, the Baby Nose Clear one is best. Have tried the breast milk up the nose thing with both my babies but it has never worked for us, but saline drops have been helpful for DD2.

My latest snot busting gadget is called Cleebo, they are special tweezers for removing dried on bogeys. I'm finding them more useful for my toddler than the baby though.

I find taking the baby in the shower with you helps, as the humidity helps to clear things for them. And let them sleep in the bouncy chair overnight when its really bad.

PaulineCampbellJones Mon 27-Sep-10 14:55:52

Saline drops, an electric oil burner with eucalyptus and lavender. And vaseline under the nose to stop soreness.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 27-Sep-10 15:00:04

Prop the head end of the cot mattress with a blanket or two underneath.

Saline drops are brilliant if there's a major blockage.

StayFrosty Mon 27-Sep-10 15:01:20

I put some vicks in a bowl of boiling water and leave it in his room. I also put lansinoh or vaseline on his nostrils to stop them going sore and crusty in the night.

Try any / all of the following:
1. Raise the cot head (ranty/preachy baby routine books can find an actual use as leg props for the cot).
2. Steam inhalations. Either during the day hold baby on knee over / near a source of steam, or at night put a wet facecloth on the radiator (obviously this in winter when heating is on). Also hang wet washing next to a radiator in the baby's room.
3. I have found a warmer room helps enormously.
4. From 3 months the snuffle babe stuff is invaluable. We actually started using it earlier by putting it on a cloth near DS, i.e. not directly on his skin.
5. Any time you see a chance to physically grab a bogey and pull it out, do.

CompetitiveChutes Mon 27-Sep-10 15:14:01

My one year old had a snotty nose all of last week. I squirted saline spray up his nose and propped up his cot mattress with a towel underneath. Also used a tiny bit of Vaseline on his nostrils as they looked so sore.

Top tip if you do the mattress propping thing - tell your DP/DH. That way you don't go to check on the baby and discover he has been put to bed the wrong way so his feet are slightly raised instead of his head hmm

Also wear rubbish old clothes so you aren't that bothered when the baby uses you to wipe their nose on.

Cot propped up on some books.
Karvel plug in vapouriser thingy.
Suction thing to rid the nose of snot before feeding.
Childrens nurofen for the "faceaches"

DD has just gotten over a cold, wasnt so bad because of those 4 things.

frakkinnakkered Mon 27-Sep-10 15:16:28

Snot sucker

Vapouriser thingies - when I was little we had one with a candle, I'm sure there are safer ones now!

Don't let the air get too dry - keep a saucer of water by the radiator

Try feeding in a more upright position - baby face down on the boob apparently works very well as it prevents all the slime from making its way to the back of the nose/throat.

TheProvincialLady Mon 27-Sep-10 15:18:38

Snot suckers do work. I also rate Karvol plug ins.

FrameyMcFrame Mon 27-Sep-10 16:00:53

Boil kettle in the room with karvol in the water?
raise the head of the cot?
saline nose sprays/drops?

TheLimeFairy Mon 27-Sep-10 16:01:17

I always put some Vicks in a bowl of boiling water under the cot at night, prop the head end of the cot up and use saline drops.

Thandeka Mon 27-Sep-10 16:01:46

Nasosal drops (saline) plus snot sucker used in rotation (if particularly thick mucus the drops help soften for sucking) or sometimes after sucking the snot out as it seems to help keep it a bit clearer.

Humidifier (though bewarned get a warm air one- we didnt and got a cool air one and it makes the room baltic if you don't have heating on!)

Baby vapour rub on back and chest(loving the feet idea- will try that!)

Boiling water with olbas oil placed nearish humifier fan

Karvol on hanky near cot

a snot cot wedge under matress.

I also take a very well wrapped up dd out for long walks in the fresh air- gets her nose running a treat and she seems chirpier for it afterwards.

I also avoid yoghurt, cheese etc in her diet as they are mucus making- (not sure where breastmilk and formula is in that as I don't avoid them!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now