Bathroom adaptations

(5 Posts)
whataboutbob Sun 27-Sep-15 14:09:15

I apologise in advance if this is posted in the wrong place. I also post in Elderly Parents but haven't seen anything on this topic there. My father has Alzheimers, he lives with my brother in his own home. Lately as his illness has progressed we have had to face a new problem: helping him out of the bath. He gets in OK but just will not come out. Yesterday i had to step in the bath and lift him ,while my brother pulled him up which wasn t ideal, apart from potential back damage to me/ bro, it was probably painful for him.
Dad has carers everyday and they are starting to say they can't bathe him anymore. Baths are important as unfortunately he now has night time incontinence.
Has anyone experienced converting a bathroom with bath to walk in shower? Or had an adapted bath put in? what are the costs? The space really is small, there's just room for a standard bath, a sink and a loo it's maybe 6 foot squared. As my bro also lives there, he'd rather there was a bath than just a shower.We don't really have thousand s to spend though. thanks for any advice/ insights.

CMOTDibbler Sun 27-Sep-15 14:18:08

I think I mentioned my mum had got stuck in the bath as she just couldn't work out how to stand up. The outcome of that was that the OT did a bath assessment, and they now have a battery powered bath lift which was installed for free. Dad says it doesn't get in his way.

So, it should be free, just contact the community OT

whataboutbob Sun 27-Sep-15 18:36:33

Thanks CMOT! I remember you mentioning it now. I think it's the same with dad, he just can't remember what the next step is and can't understand what these people are trying to make him do. Which means he lashes out.
I will contact the OT at the dementia team straightaway.
Hope you have had a good weekend.

CMOTDibbler Sun 27-Sep-15 20:30:53

They are sort of behaving this week! Though mum got sent home early from the day centre for bad behaviour. And dad can remember what her temp should be, but not how to use the thermometer. Sigh.

I hope the OT helps out

whataboutbob Sun 27-Sep-15 21:25:58

Good to hear you have had a reasonably good week. I hope the day centre was just a blip. Dad got banned after just one visit...
Here's wishing you a peaceful week ahead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now