Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What does the future hold for Aspie/ADHD nephew?

(4 Posts)
Corygal1 Thu 03-Mar-16 21:39:35

Hi there

Asking humbly for advice as I know nothing and want to be able to say cheerful things to my DSis. Or be realistic. Either way, I need to help because they're worried about the future.

MY dearest DN is adorable - but struggling at school, both academically and socially (bad behaviour). He's 13. No doubt the school will carry on the support, but what are his options once he hits 16 - given he'll always have SN.

Fr' instance, how many boys similar to him will move out of the family home? Get a job? Do a course?

I get the impression, from the zero I know, that people with SN are reasonably well catered for, or at any rate catered for, while they're children, because a lot of what they need applies to anyone under the age of 18. What I'm not so sure of is how they fare in the big wide world. Does the stigma kick in worse when they're adult, for example? How much state support is there?

Corygal1 Fri 04-Mar-16 22:28:43

Indantherene Fri 04-Mar-16 22:49:11

If it helps, DS is 26 and was dx with ADHD at 7. He has had some issues, but went to university, has held down several jobs, and is married.

He gets DLA and isn't ever left alone, but he is happy and relatively independent.

Bethany22 Tue 19-Apr-16 01:15:41

Hi Corygal1 I am replying to this thread as it is something I have personal experience with. I'm 21 I have Aspergers Syndrome, ADHD, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, OCD, SPD, Prosoprognosia, Synaesthesia, Anxiety and Brain Damage in the visual cortex. If your nephew is struggling then something needs to be done about the environment he is being taught in, there are so many things that affect us on the spectrum that others just don't notice. We can feel every hair on our body, the sweat on our skin, seams in all our clothes, wind/air con and the direction its going, the breath leaving our noses and mouth around our mouths, each eyelash as we blink. Then there's outside sensory information like lights blinking, florescent lights are worse, the feeling of the carpet under our shoes, the colour and decorations on the walls, the way the room is organised, where we sit, the smell of the room, the smell of everyone in class, the tone of their voices, the way they move and 100 and 1 other things, the lesson could be taught in a way he is uncomfortable with or unable to follow, if a lesson is presented in a way we cannot make sense of or is irrelevant to us then it doesn't sink in and he may also be experiencing bullying. If your nephew finds something he is interested in and has a passion for and can be given the support he can succeed on his own as well as anyone else, it might just take a little longer, I've just received offers from all five universities I've applied for and accepted a place at the University of York where I'll be living and studying independently but to get there I've spent four years at college. There's two Facebook pages I like that may also be able to help you, Autistic not Weird and Autistic Genius. If help just let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now