Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD to be assessed for ASD - how do they assess with teenagers?

(5 Posts)
felttippens Tue 24-Mar-15 17:03:27

DD is 15 and is going to be assessed for ASD. Can anyone let me know how the process works with older children?

Thanks

Waitingforsherlock Thu 26-Mar-15 10:07:13

Hi there. I'd move this to SN Chat, I think the board is much busier. I'm interested in finding out the answer too as I'm pushing for an assessment for my 12 year old dd too.

Emily34austin Wed 01-Apr-15 07:42:34

CAMHS will send questinairres and connors forms to you and your DD's school after first choice appointment. If they score above a certain score to show areas of difficulty you will get another appointment before they refer you on to doctor for diagnosis. CAMHS also observed my DD in a lesson.
I warn you though whilst CAMHS have been brilliant in many ways a very long process . From start to finish my DD's was two years.

APMom Fri 10-Apr-15 22:00:32

My daughter was diagnosed last year at 15. They did ADOS with her, Social Responsiveness Scale with me and cognitive assessment. She scored very high for ASD on the first two and got a spiky profile on cognitive test - very common with ASD. She had an ADOS done at 12 which the psych denied she had ASD (never got a report).

Dolores2015 Wed 13-May-15 09:06:10

Hi felttippens

My dd went through the diagnostic process twice - once at 7 and once at 12 - using Connors and ADOS, school observation, CAMHS assessments. All concluded that dd was not AS.
Dd and I knew that this was wrong - dd presents brilliantly in a formal situation with an adult and if observed on a good day at school, would appear NT.
We decided to go to the Lorna Wing Centre and be assessed by Dr Judith Gould's team. We spent dd's small university fund on this and have no regrets. Dr Gould was the research partner of Dr Lorna Wing, who collated Asperger's research and coined the term 'Asperger's Syndrome'. They spent thirty years developing DISCO, a diagnostic tool for AS. It is extremely thorough and is designed for female diagnosis and not just male diagnosis, like many other tools.
ADOS was developed as a research tool, not a diagnostic tool. My dd had a score of 2 which just goes to show its severe limits.
DISCO is used increasingly in LHA's but it is a postcode lottery as to whether your area will have been trained in its use.
After 8 years, we'd just had enough of getting nowhere. Now we have a clear AS diagnosis, dd is the happiest she's ever been and no longer feels confused about herself.
It may be possible to get your dd's consultant to refer to Dr Gould, it depends whether they will fund an out of area referral - if you live in Bromley; that's where the Lorna Wing Centre is.

Please let me know if you have any questions - I'd like to think that our years of frustration could benefit someone else!!
smile ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now