Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Asperger's Boarding School

(9 Posts)
Daisee Wed 17-Jul-13 13:57:25

Hello,
My DS is 13, entering year 9. He has Asperger's and ADHD. Very bright with above average IQ. His only behavioral problems are silliness, hyperactivity, and basically being annoying and distracting, which interferes not only with his learning but of those around him. He has no anger or mean or violent behaviors at all. He was at Stanbridge, and for obvious reasons, we are having to move him. We visited Swalcliffe in Banbury last week and were pretty impressed, but I want to check some other schools out as well. We are Americans who live in west central Africa for the next few years. What I am looking for is a boarding school that specializes in Asperger's and/or Autism Spectrum Disorders but that are high functioning, above average IQ students with no violent behaviors.

Can anyone give me any recommendations?

Also, can anyone give me any personal opinions regarding Swalcliffe School?

Thank you so much! It was stressful enough with the whole Stanbridge situation, and I am hoping to minimize the stress for my DS in looking for and starting a new school.

BTW, we are privately funded with my husband's employer, since they denied him entrance to their school, so we don't need to go through the LA, etc; or worry about financing his education.

Thank you.

Daisee

Greengap13 Sat 21-Sep-13 19:14:54

Hi, I'm also looking for much the same school for our ds. He's 11 sounds very similar and has just been diagnosed. The only school that I've found so far is the "Priory Lodge in Roehampton" However they don't have boarding facilities. Why don't you contact the Priory group and see if they have any other options. Hope this helps.

Bonkerz Thu 28-Nov-13 22:49:00

Definitely look at the priory group schools. My son attends one and is doing brill there.

Badgers5 Tue 03-Dec-13 18:59:07

My daughter was at Stanbridge Earls and left sometime before the school closed due to bullying. She eventually went to Unstead Park, a Priory Group school and never looked back. She loved it there and was sad to leave at 19 years of age. She is now in Priory Unit for young people with AS and also loves it there and is doing well.

nennypops Wed 19-Feb-14 21:31:37

if the funding will stretch to it, try Grateley House or Southlands.

amberskies Thu 20-Mar-14 00:03:47

Slindon College?

tempe48 Tue 15-Jul-14 10:53:51

I think Southlands may have children with behaviour problems? Best to check that out.

Tenaj123 Thu 17-Jul-14 20:38:33

Check out Mark College in the West Country (can't remember which county - Somerset?), run by the Priory group. I know they are primarily for dyslexic kids but also have kids on the Autistic spectrum.

outtolunchagain Fri 24-Oct-14 08:37:45

My ds went to Centre Academy East anglia, it's small but effective , also does the American Diploma and has a few American students so may be worth a look . the only problem is that it is weekly boarding or day only not full boarding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now