Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Post 16 DLA Claims

(13 Posts)
LaydeeC Sun 16-Jun-13 20:00:07

First time posting on this board. I have an almost 16 yo son with Aspergers. He has been in receipt of DLA (mid/lower rates) since he was about 11 or 12. His award ends the day before his 16th birthday.
With all the cuts/introduction of PIPs, is it even worth re-applying?
Has anyone been successful?

PearlyWhites Wed 26-Jun-13 16:37:59

Yes it's worth reapplying it is actually easier to get high mob with asd from pip than dla.

LaydeeC Fri 28-Jun-13 12:50:40

oh wow, thanks PearlyWhites - I'll get on with it then. You just hear so many horror stories in the press about people with terminal cancer etc refused. It always feels like so much more of a struggle when their disabilities are 'hidden' to others at first glance.
Thanks again.

LaydeeC Sun 15-Sep-13 10:48:41

Just a quick update - re-applied for DLA (as a 16 yo adult) and have been awarded mid rate for care and low rate for mobility (same as pre 16). But this time it has been awarded indefinitely.

Does indefinitely really mean indefinitely? Will he not be expected to apply for PIP in the near future?

I don't know whether to have a much needed glass of wine or not.

vjg13 Mon 16-Sep-13 22:19:15

Could I just ask if you found a guide to use to fill in the form?

Definitely have the wine too!

LaydeeC Tue 17-Sep-13 20:48:28

No, no guide. We have been claiming since he was about 8/9 but awards were always 2 or 3 years in duration. I've never used a guide - I used to include excerpts from diaries that I used to keep along with examples of his behaviour/difficulties. I actually wasn't going to bother again but another poster on here suggested that it is sometimes easier as an adult to claim.
So I spent a couple of weeks doing the form. Got our respite carer to write a supporting statement, wrote one myself as his primary carer and enclosed a copy of his annual review from school.
If I hadn't left it so close to the deadline I would have tried to find a guide but just about got it in by the skin of my teeth. I wasn't really that hopeful of a positive decision because of the cuts and changes.
My understanding is that indefinitely doesn't really mean indefinitely unfortunately as the gov want to move everyone onto PIP eventually but I could be wrong.
It shouldn't be like this should it?

vjg13 Tue 17-Sep-13 21:14:56

I will need to reapply for my daughter as she will be 16 next Spring and like you the current award ends just before her birthday. I think I read somewhere that by then it will be for PIP, will have to find some sort of guide as I dread those forms!

LaydeeC Tue 17-Sep-13 21:39:37

I did have a quick look on the NAS website - I think they do a guide. I didn't have time to use one as the deadline crept up on me (I kept putting it off) and ended up taking it on holiday with me (great way of relaxing - not).
Anyway, good luck - I hope it is DLA that you can claim - the thought of PIP, ATOS and assessments scare the living daylights out of me.
My son is autistic so presents as 'normal' - ATOS would eat him for breakfast and send my blood pressure soaring.

vjg13 Wed 18-Sep-13 08:56:21

Just had a look and DLA claims can be renewed up to the end of Feb2014 and from then on it's PIP. Of course my daughter's award ends in March 2014, just have to hope they move the deadline!

My daughter has severe learning difficulties but that seems to count for little in respect of PIP if some of the horror stories in the media are correct. I normally use the Cerebra guide for DLA and will try and find a PIP one somewhere.

LaydeeC, did your have to have some sort of interview about whether your son will be able to manage the DLA money himself at 16?

LaydeeC Wed 18-Sep-13 22:16:53

No, no interview. I felt that he should receive the money directly into his own bank account but my husband thought that it should carry on being paid to us whilst he is under 18 as we are still responsible for his care. As he is still at school for the next two years we are obviously responsible for housing him, feeding him, clothing him, paying for guitar lessons, gym membership etc.

LaydeeC Wed 18-Sep-13 22:17:59

I might have a look at the Cerebra guide.
I think I read that by 2018 all claims will be PIP - which is why I think that an indefinite award isn't actually indefinite.

LaydeeC Wed 18-Sep-13 22:18:25

Oh and rubbish luck on just missing the deadline - we were lucky

vjg13 Sat 16-Nov-13 17:29:15

Have just renewed by daughter's and got mid rate care and low rate mobility also indefinitely, whatever that may mean. Same rates as pre 16 and a decision within a week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now