Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Whst happens to statements post 16?

(3 Posts)
basildonbond Tue 01-Jan-13 12:48:27

Tried posting this in education - SN - but no replies so retrying here ...

Ds has a statement currently paid at the highest level possible for mainstream school in our LEA. The LEA has a policy of not changing things if the placement is working so have basically nodded it through on annual review (haven't even sent someone to the review for the past three years)

Ds is 16 next month and I have a vague idea that his needs will be completely reassessed but don't really know how it works - can anyone with experience talk me through it please? Ds is in complete denial that he still has any difficulties (although accepts the need to use a laptop and extra time in exams)

Also what kind of extra support - if he'll accept it - would be in place at universities and is any allowance made during the admissions process?

Thanks

molly29 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:22:08

I don't know how it works in your area, but most schools have an SEN worker you can speak to,or you can speak to what used to be called conexions they are now called personal advisors via childrens services. Think most of the info is on childrens services website now. Hope this helps.x

headlesslambrini Fri 11-Jan-13 22:07:13

the statement will remain in place after yr 11 if he stays within a LEA school ie if he goes to the school 6th form or another school 6th form. If he goes to college or gets an apprenticeship then the statement will cease at that time. If he goes to another place be it a different school, college or an apprenticeship then he should have a S139a completed. Connexions will complete this document however, Connexions have gone in lots of areas not all though so the school SENCO will be able to tell you who will do it if this is the case. This is a transition document so if he stays at his own school he won't need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now