Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Trying to access an education for my DauGhter with complex- special needs ?

(2 Posts)
angelsfly Mon 12-Mar-12 20:19:33

Hi i am new to mums net, so if i get the link wrong please advise me?
My daughter is 14 years old and was going to sit her GCSEs this year. Unfortunately she suffers with Complex regional pain syndrome, which affects mainly her ankles legs and hands. This means she is in constant pain and can on some days make it impossible for her to weight bare at all and use her hands to write. Because her condition has deteriorated since September she has been unable to attend school. The school which she attends and social services want her to be classified as unfit to attend school in order for her to access home tutoring.
Despite me highlighting my concerns; that she would be totally house bound, socially isolated and cut off from her friends because she lives in a rural area; they took no notice. They could not tell me either how many hours she would be taught. all my daughter requires to get an education is an appropriate wheelchair which the NHS cannot supply and we cannot afford, someone to help support her in school and someone to teach her at home on the days when she cannot weight bare. because this type support is not available in the county of Devon, my daughter lays on the settee each day socially isolated cut off from her friends and unable to access an education. Can anyone advise?

thamesfacing Tue 13-Nov-12 20:42:15

Hi,

In England no child can be classified as unfit for education. She should still be on roll with her school and they should make a referral to the Local Authority for education under the regulations covering children with enduring medical needs. In the meantime they should be sending home work for your daughter. I would also suggest that you ask the school to call a Team around the Child meeting and ensure that someone from health attends so that a complete package of support is put in place for you and your daughter. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now