Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child has special needs. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP or other suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN

3 year old showing signs of autism - want to help him!

(3 Posts)
Bananasinpyjamas1 Sat 12-Sep-15 20:36:35

Hi! Not sure if this is the right place to post. My 3 year old just had an ADOS assessment but haven't had the results yet - I paid for it myself as I wanted to speed things up. He didn't engage with frog/doll/car and only after a lot of prompting with bubbles/food. He:
- has eye contact and responds to name
- loves numbers/alphabet
- doesn't like loud noises
- leads me to things but doesn't ask for anything
- doesn't speak in sentences, only nouns
- is a very happy boy but lines up his toys and doesn't do imaginative play or like engaging with others back and forth.

Whether or not he gets any diagnosis may be a while yet - just wondered how to help him now? I'm not sure even how to potty train him, help him ask for things when he doesn't understand 'want' or points to things he wants.

I kind of go along with a lot of what he wants and try and be gentle about changes - show him pictures of things he wants.

SevenSeconds Sun 13-Sep-15 07:10:54

Hi OP, this board is very quiet, you may get more responses if you post in SN Children where it is busier.

Bananasinpyjamas1 Sun 13-Sep-15 19:43:35

Thanks, will do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now