Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

special transport means no after school activities

(5 Posts)
PipinJo Tue 29-Nov-11 18:18:54

My ds attends afterschool drama club and taxi picks him up later. He only has one taxi to himself however.

BrigitBigKnickers Sat 01-Oct-11 17:32:23

I think you need to have transport for after school clubs put into the annual review paperwork (or maybe even the Statement) on the section marked- any non educational needs not being met (ie social behavioural needs)

Attendance at clubs is part of school life and important for social integration (if your son has behavioural issues this may be a very valid point to make.)

I often have fights with the local authority to get transport arrangements altered for my HI pupils. If a child has to attend a school that is not in their catchment due to a specific special need they should be able to attend clubs at least once a week.

I think it's easier when your child is the only one in the taxi- it's when a bus full of other pupils leaves at the same time where they have to organise for an additional taxi- which obviously costs more.

clangermum Sat 01-Oct-11 16:12:00

Ask the taxi driver direct if your son has a taxi to himself? If we gave the company enough notice this was never a problem for us.

roundthebend4 Thu 23-Sep-10 07:29:32

Sadly they won't as these are considered optional activties mind if has taxi to himself might but also depends if taxi busy after

stressedok Sat 10-Apr-10 11:01:48

My eldest son has problems which means he has tranport to and from school provided by the local county council. He is unable to take the local school bus to and from school. Because his taxi does to picking up at school time, my son missing out on all the schools extra curricular activities. He missing out on so many oppurtunitiesd which unless he attended them at school I would never be able to afford him to take up. Is it right for him to miss out on these activities. Everyone goes on about, every child matters, but every child doesnt mqatter, esp if they are "different". Do you think the county are legally bound to allow the taxi to pick up my son from school later so he can attend even one after school activity. After all, every child matters???? or does it?
whats your opinion in this matter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now