Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Child DLA - "other children of the same age"

(2 Posts)
Claennister Mon 22-Aug-16 18:56:45

Does anyone know if there is some kind of reference document somewhere that I might be able to get a look at, which shows what the DLA assessors would expect "other children of the same age" to be able to do? I'm being encouraged to apply but I have only the one child and she's always been like this, so I don't have the slightest clue what sort of assistance other children of her age are able to do. I know they can do more complex things and that generally they are more independent, but I'd really like something a bit more specific before we go and put ourselves through this. Things I think she most particularly needs more help with is anything that involves following or remembering instructions and things with motor skills. I have asked other parents what age their children can bathe independently and most have given an age much lower than DD's age, but not sure if there's some official DWP "This is what children age 5/10/13, etc. can do by themselves" book. Any thoughts? (Already a member at Benefits and Work, but their book on DLA for children really only told me I had to show she had more trouble than another child her age, no reference to what another child her age can do)

muggins14 Wed 31-Aug-16 14:00:43

www.cafamily.org.uk/media/744270/claiming_dla_for_children.pdf

The Contact A Family guide may also be helpful.

I found the Benefits & Work guide very helpful, but I recall her first application at age 3 was hard as I had nothing to compare to either and no computer to google what should a child her age be doing.

I think the best thing you can do is explain all you have to do for your child, don't sugar-coat the 'bad' bits and, as suggested, a diary of a week with your child can be really useful.

If they can see that what you do to help your child, and what your child doesn't do that a child their age normally does, that would help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now