Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

help with dla mobility

(2 Posts)
mummy2ty Sun 14-Aug-11 15:06:27

hi my son is 6 years old and diagnosed with server learning difficulties and server behaviour problems with the mental age of 3 . he will be going to a special school in september and is being assessed for autism and has sensory issues . The major problem we have at home and when out is his meltdowns and no awareness of dangers . when he has a meltdown he will kick , scream lay on the floor , bite and scratch himself and others and needs physically lifting to a safe place which i can no longer due to weight and size so he can only go out with two adults present .
we get high rate care because of his night needs (not yet dry in the day or night , night terrors and smearing ).
we applied for mobility and got lower rate which we are great full for but i know he falls into the higher rate category of server learning difficulties and behaviour problems . i appealed with a letter from the social worker but still got refused i now need to write out a form and if they still disagree it goes to tribunal .
i'm just wondering if any parents have children with similar difficulties as my son and get high rate . also should i fight this surely the tribunal will agree with dla ?
thank you

chinax Tue 27-Dec-11 22:33:19

Hi Mummy, your ds sounds very similar to my dd who is now 17. She had high rate mobility for 11 years until it was reviewed again when she reached 16 and she was suddenly reduced to low rate mobility. Basically don't let them intimidate you. Appeal initially and then get as many reports as possible from school, consultant, gp etc. And then let it go to tribunal if necessary. We did this as I just knew they were wrong. The day of the appeal arrived - our hearing was due at 1530hrs - and at 1000hrs we received a call to say we didn't need to attend after all as the panel had decided our dd definitely did qualify for the high rate which was reinstated immediately and we received back payment for the year we had only received low rate. I cannot see that you would only qualify for low rate as with a child with such severe behavioural issues it could prove dangerous even trying to use public transport. You go for it and good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now