Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN children, SN recommendations.

how do I go about getting my 3 year old statemented?

(4 Posts)

Nearly all special schools would require a child to have a statement.

Basically, the procedure is that you write to the Local Authority where you are living and ask them to carry out a statutory assessment.

They either agree or refuse. If they refuse, you can appeal. You would need to have evidence that your ds should 'probably' have a statement.

If they agree, then several professionals will assess your child. If your child is considered to have needs over and above what a state mainstream school with devolved funding for SEN can provide then they will issue a statement. If not you will receive a note in lieu which sets out your child's needs and what the school can do to help. At this stage you are entitled to appeal.

Need for a statement is explained in the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice which you can find online and download.


What do you want the statement for?

mehrgulfaraz Wed 10-Apr-13 16:22:51

My 3 year old has a speech delay and was in speech therapy overseas. What is the procedure here in the UK, and is northwood a good area for special needs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now