Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What a wierd week!!

(15 Posts)
Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Jun-14 21:08:13

Dd3 walked home from school [with a friend most of the way] as a practice for September. She did really well and was happy when she got home smile

She got called retarded at school by another child and didnt tell me, another child did sad I have told the deputy head and am awaiting feedback!

We had a transition meeting and neither the current senco nor the current transition coordinator bothered to turn up hmm

The school she is moving to sent 2 staff members, the Autism lead and the TA for her form group who has been named as her key adult. They seem on the ball and had lots to offer so it was positive smile

Now she is at a sleepover and the house is really quiet but I am enjoying the break smile

lougle Fri 27-Jun-14 21:16:51

That is a roller coaster of a week! How are you doing?

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Jun-14 21:31:22

I am exhausted TBH, my job is always manic at this time of year and we are awaiting a decision on Dd3's statutory assessment.

The advocate and I have a strong feeling that it will be a NIL which is going to be hard to swallow and will trigger another appeal.

Dd3 is settled and happy at the moment now all the pressure is off at school so that is very positive smile

Thanks for asking lougle how about you? How is HE ing going?

PolterGoose Fri 27-Jun-14 21:32:02

Well done her walking home, I wrote about my 'experiment' getting ds to walk into school on his own this morning on the G&C thread.

Hope school deal with the 'retarded' comment, that's awful.

This transition stuff is hard, I was awake half the night fretting over another email I'd sent the new Senco and working out the wording of the next one. I feel like a neurotic mess. I hope you're more together than me!

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Jun-14 21:48:05

Hi polter

I saw your post about your Ds walking into school. I have been more reluctant to let Dd3 walk to school because I wouldnt know if she had actually got there!

It is such a big step for them isnt it!

I have got to arrange another meeting with the secondary senco after transition day which is on Wednesday. I gave them copies of all but one of the statutory assessment reports and am giving them the updated Indie EP report on Monday.

I didnt want to give the primary staff the opportunity to see is as it is fairly scathing! Not that I care really but I want Dd3 to enjoy her last couple of weeks.

The new school know now that relations are not good at the primary.I am trying not to overload them and to be fair they are being really good.

It is a very difficult time though sadconfused

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Jun-14 21:53:09

polter meant to say, I am really cross about the retarded comment especially as the child who said it also has SN's and should know better!

I was upset that Dd3 hadnt told me because she was clearly upset about it sad

I am going in on Monday morning to find out how they dealt with it.

Annoyingly the child has been put in Dd3's class at the new school which I am abit pissed off about becasue i think they have lumped them together because they have a similar Dx but they have absolutly nothing in common and neither of them have the skills required to understand each others difficulties hmm

lougle Fri 27-Jun-14 22:12:15

Thanks for asking. I'm pooped, tbh.

DD2 at home (all good).

DD1 had SN ugly bug ball so I had to make her a grasshopper costume. Then it was dd1's sports morning on Tuesday. Lovely time but she had a complete breakdown because last year we were allowed to take her home after and this year the rule changed. She was so distraught that her teacher got permission to send her home with us and then she was hideously out of control on the school run.

Then, at DD1's school all day Wednesday for a new parent's morning, followed by interviewing for a new teacher because the school is expanding.

Thursday afternoon was DD3's sports afternoon. She did fanatically until she nearly broke her neck! She was doing step ups on a bench and she is fiercely competitive and driven. It all happened so fast, but I think she stepped up onto the bench so fast that her brain didn't process it so she tried to step up again (while already on the bench) and pitched forward, landing on the Crown of her head, then her body hit the mat while her head and neck were still upright! So we had to go to the medical room for a child pack and the first aider was concerned she was in shock as she was far too quiet. She perked up after 10 minutes though.

Today dd3 had an inset day.

I also got a letter asking if I could make 8 weighted blankets and several lap pads! So DD2 is going to do a lot of applied mathematics!

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Jun-14 22:16:45

OMG!!! lougle what a week.

I have just ordered Dd3 a new weighted blanket as well, a summer fabric one as hers is fleece and is too hot.

She is going to take it to scout camp as we think that may have been the reason she didnt cope last time as it was the first time she had slept without it since we got it!

The scout leaders are going to love me grin

Hope your weekend is quieter!

lougle Fri 27-Jun-14 22:18:23

Oh! A funny DD2 story to cheer you up.

Dd2 was talking about being happy that she is at home. She then dropped her voice and said that she'd needed to talk to me privately. She said that there was one child she didn't like. I asked why and she looked around furtively, then shut the outside door ("because it is rude and hurtful if the boy hears it and I don't want my sisters to hear").

Finally, she whispered:
"His breath smells, Mum. Now, you know I looove the smell of lavender? His breath does not smell of lavender!!"

grin

The way her brain works will never get old for me!

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Jun-14 22:21:34

Ha ha, that is funny grin

Dd3 has discovered irony this week, she asked for a t shirt with Heinz baked beans on the front, she thought it was hilarious because she hates baked beans!!

lougle Fri 27-Jun-14 22:27:57

Hahaha!!

Ineedmorepatience Fri 27-Jun-14 22:33:05

I love her so much, her personality and the way she sees the world is awesome.

I am tired of trying to force her to fit in and also of people trying to change her so she fits in to their idea of normal!!

I often think she and I are too alike and that maybe we should just buy a camper van and bugger off somewhere confused

lougle Fri 27-Jun-14 23:05:59

honestly, the stress of dd2 being "odd" has disappeared. Now, true friends embrace her oddness and the rest don't matter any way. No trying to blend in with the school crowd.

I always suppress a smirk when DD2 skips past the SENCO with a wide smile on her face. I'm almost sure it's deliberate.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 28-Jun-14 08:16:16

Yep it probably is lougle. grin

PolterGoose Sat 28-Jun-14 08:24:49

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now