Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Goose and Carrot, Friday 6th June

(353 Posts)
bluebirdonmyshoulder Fri 06-Jun-14 12:47:21

Hi all, thought I'd open up this lunchtime!

The sun's out, there's a jug of Pimms on the go and a chilled bottle of prosecco in the fridge for hazey to apologise for my appalling lowering of the tone on her thread earlier this week! wink

Seriously hazey, hope the 48 hr EEG went ok and everyone has had a good week and is enjoying the sunshine.

Haven't had a great week to be honest, starting to be very concerned that bluechick seems to have reached a developmental plateau and therefore finding it hard at the moment. Just when I thought it was getting easier it gets a bit harder. confused

Anyway here's to a new week. Cheers all. wine

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 06-Jun-14 14:06:58

Hi bluebird. That must be hard. (((hugs))) and wine.

I'm in a ranty mood I'm afraid. OT mucked up ds's referral. Won a complaint re SS closing his case, new SW allocated 3 weeks ago - heard nothing in spite of numerous messages. Need to follow up with senior manager who heard complaint. But why should I have to - it is not as if I have nothing else to do.
Dd had burning alcohol spilt on her arm in science on Tuesday. So now I have another set of appointments for dressings. Actually now I reflect it could have been so much worse. She had a heatproof mat over her lap because being a wheelchair user she can't move quickly. The mat prevented her skirt catching fire otherwise we would have had polyester skirt melted onto her legs. Doesn't bear thinking about actually.

zzzzz Fri 06-Jun-14 14:51:38

NHMW. shock thank goodness for the mat!

blue hold on a little. I find I am always at my most down about ds's development just before he does a little jump. It's as though he's gathering his strength. Be hopeful. Honk honk honk

Spent most of the day on the phone trying to work out how to get ds assessed outside of school and chase dx stuff. Grim. I pay my bills as light relief now in between SN stuff...they used to be the bum job. hmm

bluebird IME plateaus are frightening but turn out to be nothing more than catching breath before an enormous sprint. Fingers crossed it is the same for you.

NHMW Oh my goodness. Is your DD okay about it now?

We're going ahead with the HE thingy. Grim conversation with the EWO was putting it politely.

zzzzz Fri 06-Jun-14 15:07:40

star wow! It's like we're doing a dosey-doh.

bluebirdonmyshoulder Fri 06-Jun-14 15:17:31

NHMW that's awful, your poor DD. Is there some kind of investigation in place? Hope she recovers soon.

Thanks for the wise words re plateaus, let's hope so.

ouryve Fri 06-Jun-14 16:29:20

Cheers, bluebird! Hopefully the others are right about your DD's plateau. I find that DS2, in particular, puts skills he already has to one side when he's working on something new.

Even though it doesn't help the burns (ouch) hopefully the school haven't been lax with the paperwork following that accident, NHMW. If her SA goes ahead, this sort of thing needs to be in with the evidence.

Starlight - champers for you for your decision. EWO can have one of my looks.

We get one sunny day. ONE. And the pollen's out. Both boys snotty. DS2's big wet sneezes did cool down the backs of my legs on the way home, mind.

marshmallowSqueeze Fri 06-Jun-14 17:06:15

NHMW thats awful how is dd now?

we had a good day at school today shock this will not last but it is a relief.

I am taking ds to legoland tomorrow for his bday with my dad so am hoping he enjoys himself smile

AtYourCervix Fri 06-Jun-14 17:14:40

What a glorious afternoon. Hello all. wine for celebrating and more wine for the other stuff. Hope little NoHaudin is ok.

In the Cervix house....

GCSEs continue. I am flabberghasted that D2 has gone in for every one. Who knows what grades she'll get but right now who cares?

She's just tried on her prom dress. She hasn't worn a dress since she was 4. Also she let me do her hair loose (not in a messy ponytail). She looks amazing and I'm trying to hold in a happy tear. Prom is in 2 weeks. I'll maybe do a photo of her then to show her off.

zzzzz Fri 06-Jun-14 17:17:27

Definitely photos!

Fav Fri 06-Jun-14 17:28:15

NoHaudin, that's terrible, your poor dd! Hope she's recovering quickly.

We're having a rubbish week so far. Enrichment week hmm at school. Main subject Macbeth (for 4-11 year olds? hmm). Yesterday was dress up day, ds was crawling the walls, flapping because he was so upset.
We set off to school, found we had a flat tyre, no spare, so I kept him at home and we had a mostly lovely day.
Today he's come home and is really angry, no idea why, he won't speak, just swears if we make too much noise. I've rung school to try to discuss the day, but the answer phone is on.

Got a surprise invitation to a cygnet course on Wednesday, which was fantastic! Felt brilliant to be with other people who got it, and didn't quiz my parenting.

Polter, from the last thread, congratulations!

Star, hope things all go well on the HE front. I'll watch carefully, ds has started to beg to be HEd.

PolterGoose Fri 06-Jun-14 17:56:38

Thanks Fav hope ds's mood improves soon

NoHaudin flowers for dd and hope he heals quickly

AYC grin

bluebird hoping for a developmental leap for you

All ok here, ds bought home a folder from secondary full of information, really fantastic, he's done his form for who he'd like to be in a tutor group with and says he wrote "I don't mind as long as it's someone I get on with, and as long as it's not with <that boy with the horrible parents who I've talked about before>"

PolterGoose Fri 06-Jun-14 17:57:23

NoH ...hope she heals quickly

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 06-Jun-14 18:16:23

Just back from having burn dressed. It seems to be healing ok. Dd was shocked at first but is now her usual stoical self. School is doing the paperwork ok I think but it is costing a fortune in extra taxi fares.

AYC definitely need photos. Great that she's going in for them all.
When is the last one.

Polter sounds promising for next year.

Star when are you starting? I'm sure you will do well but rather you than me. Ds definitely needed school structure to get any work done.

moosemama Fri 06-Jun-14 19:02:12

Bluechick, I agree with the others, sounds like the pause before a developmental leap to me. Fingers - and toes - crossed for you.

NoHaudin, your poor dd, as if she hasn't enough to cope with already. Thank goodness it wasn't any worse. Hope the wound heals quickly.

AYC, good to hear your dd is going to all her exams and is looking forward to her prom. We definitely need photos. smile

Polter, sounds like transition stuff is going really well for your ds.

Tough couple of weeks here. Was going great guns with my diet and exercise, then went to our annual music festival, which was great fun, but like a mini-Glasto-mudfest and still haven't recovered two weeks later - lots of neuro symptoms and multi-day migraines, plus a ridiculous level of exhaustion. Highly frustrating to be stuck at home unable to do so much after a glimpse of feeling fitter and healthier over the month before. Keep trying to hang onto the 'this too shall pass' thing, but finding it hard. Have to be sorted by the end of the month, as I have to survive a weekend at Legoland.

Ds1 is a nightmare, so chaotic and distant - lost diary, lost contact book, lost pencil-case, lost charger for his laptop etc and nothing coming back, despite all being properly labelled. School being extremely unhelpful, have seemingly forgotten that he has AS and expecting him to remember things that he's never been able to before, so why would he suddenly be able to now. Had his first ever detention to contend with too. hmm He came home in a right tizz today because the whole day was messed about, his TA is invigilating exams, so wasn't there in his lessons (no prior warning) and they are doing tonnes of revision and mock tests before their assessments the week after next. He has a week of exams, two school trips and an enrichment week coming up and he's so not enjoying the disruption.

I know I've been awol from this board too, so apologies for that. I just haven't been in the right frame of mind for anything more than the odd chat about dogs.

PolterGoose Fri 06-Jun-14 19:03:59

moose (((hugs)))

moosemama Fri 06-Jun-14 19:13:21

Thanks Polter. I know it sounds horrible, but I am starting to come out of my feeling sorry for me stage now. I will rather embarrassingly admit to being a pathetic, tearful, snotbag last week though. blush

For once I'm looking forward to the dcs breaking up for the Summer and at least having no more school crap to deal with. Of course in the meantime we have all the stupid end of year enrichment time-wasting to get through, sports days, summer fairs (both schools on the same day, at the same time on opposite sides of the city hmm) with all the associated non-uniform days and donations for tombolas etc and organising end of year teacher gifts etc. Think I hate this time of the school year almost as much as the run up to Christmas. [miserable old fart emoticon] grin

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 06-Jun-14 19:18:23

Moose sorry that school is continuing to be so rubbish. How can they think that it is acceptable just to reassign his TA?
Feel for your frustration at the relapse too. I hope you start to improve soon.

moosemama Fri 06-Jun-14 19:25:50

Thanks NoHaudin. The relapse is my own fault really. I was feeling so good I failed to eat regularly/properly and rest at the festival and spent a lot of time trudging through almost knee deep mud. blush

The irony is, if it had been the weekend before - or the weekend after - we would most likely have been laid out on a picnic blanket in front of the main stage, resting and eating picnics. The weather gremlin really had it in for us that weekend - we even had a mini hurricane and rather impressive thunder and lightning storm. shock

PolterGoose Fri 06-Jun-14 19:26:04

I've been really quite astounded at how little time is spent on academics in schools these days. It's ridiculous, most of the Xmas and Summer half terms are wasted,

moosemama Fri 06-Jun-14 19:27:06

Totally agree Polter. They may as well just give them longer holidays and have done with it. hmm

SummerRain Fri 06-Jun-14 19:32:39

Ow, had a wisdom tooth out today and the dentist was so enthusiastic about his wrenching he broke the damn tooth. Think he broke my jaw <slight exaggeration>

Nohaudin, how frightening. I hope dd is recovering well, poor thing... How on earth did it happen? I'd have thought there would be quite strict procedures for handling burning chemicals in a classroom shock

moosemama Fri 06-Jun-14 19:36:23

<medicinal gin or vodka for Summer> Ow! You poor thing. Similar happened to our best friend, only he was sedated and woke up to find the dentist's knee in his chest trying to wrench the stubborn tooth out. shock

signandsingcarols Fri 06-Jun-14 19:40:17

moose lovely to see you!
nahaudin shock shock for ref cock up and angry re dd's burn how are you yourself amongst all this?
atyour glad dd has gone for them all..

week has been chaotic here lots of extra work, (had big bill from tax credits for overpayment, even tho I have been scrupulously honest each year angry) so I'm taking all the work I can.. don't know if I am coming or going, but did get two bunnies today as pets for all of us ds very cute and ds managed to be quiet and gentle with them. very sweet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now