Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

When even sen play group doesn't go well...

(20 Posts)
Skimmingstones Sat 10-May-14 19:26:27

It is a bit disheartening. Until the last few months I think ds enjoyed it. But he's gradually finding this harder and harder.

Totally overwhelmed, goes wild and aggressive and is totally overbearing to all the other children whilst not really wanting to play with them confused

Spent a lot of time today re enacting his favourite scene over and over again, which he normally only does at home.

I don't understand in the last year his difficulties seem to have got so much more apparent. Is that age?

autumnsmum Sat 10-May-14 19:56:01

Hugs skimming in think it is age I'm having the same with dd2 .for ages I could dismiss things as toddlerhood but she's going to school in September the gap between her peers and her is becoming more apparent

Skimmingstones Sat 10-May-14 20:44:16

Thanks autumn and to you. Probably is age, yes previously I thought he is better at interacting with younger children but now that doesn't work either

He is such a darling when just pottering around but is becoming more and more restricted as to where he can go and and what we can do

autumnsmum Sat 10-May-14 20:46:49

Honestly the same is going on with dd2 she likes to stay at home but when she's at home she's bored as she has v limited play skills

Skimmingstones Sat 10-May-14 21:01:49

That is just the same here autumn, very limited play skills too.

WaveorCheer Sat 10-May-14 21:37:51

How old are both your DC?

My DS1 is 3.7 and we totally failed at SN activity club today. He loves it but gets so excited that he couldn't stop racing around, thumped his brother, ran out of the sports centre (into the car park), scratched me in the face and then topped it all off by turning the shower in the disabled changing cubicle on all over himself.

So stressful.

autumnsmum Sat 10-May-14 21:52:00

Hi wave my dd2 is 4.7 that sounds an eventful outing

WaveorCheer Sat 10-May-14 21:56:32

Ha! I wish it was - it's like that all the time. I did sort of want to ask whether a SN group with non-secure exits was the best idea, but it seems a bit churlish...

Skimmingstones Sun 11-May-14 05:51:04

Hi wave ds is 4.7 too. That's like ds wave so excited to go but so lacking the skills to cope with it or interact with other children appropriately, only 3 other children there so not busy.

He just launches himself at them all and when they are doing something he doesn't like/understand he hurts them. And he keeps falling over because he can't keep up with his own legs! He looks like a four legged octopus charging about, all arms and legs needing to be everywhere and touch everything, It's bedlam

WaveorCheer Sun 11-May-14 12:56:27

Does he have ASD? We're undergoing the diagnostic process at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that's what's going on here.

Skimmingstones Sun 11-May-14 13:26:57

We are awaiting assessment for asd, I think he does have.

He's been under community paediatrician and SALT though since 2.5 for developmental delay, epilepsy and Speech and language delay, now saying social communication difficulties and learning difficulties too.

He seems to have lots of labels put to him in the process but I think probably has asd.

How long have you got to wait for assessment wave? We are looking at, at least twelve months, referred in February this year.

WaveorCheer Sun 11-May-14 14:48:36

Twelve months?! Is that for a multidisciplinary assessment?

We saw the community paed about six weeks ago. They said there might be a few months wait, but twelve months is bloody outrageous. Especially as your DS is presumably off to school in September?

Are you applying for a statement already?

autumnsmum Sun 11-May-14 15:18:52

Wave we were lucky I took dd to a speech therapy drop in in November and she was diagnosed in July , her statement was completed the following april

Skimmingstones Sun 11-May-14 17:12:46

Yes that's for a multidisciplinary, it is awful isn't it!

Fortunately for ds it's totally recognised already he has sn just hasn't had the assessment whether to call it asd yet or not. He's collected all the above descriptions instead!

Already being statemented thankfully just waiting for final statement now and probably going to sp sch. Very anxious wait, waiting for school to be named sad

Hope it is quicker process for you in your area

WaveorCheer Sun 11-May-14 21:44:12

Autumnsmum, sounds like you were given a good service. Can I ask how old she was when you first approached the SLT drop in? I've been worried about my DS since he was tiny; well under a year. I knew. But no one took us seriously until he turned three.

WaveorCheer Sun 11-May-14 21:48:00

Skimming we've gone in the space of six months from a 'wait and see'/boys are slower approach to his nursery SENCO saying she wants him to have a statement in place before he starts school.

autumnsmum Sun 11-May-14 21:53:38

No problem wave she was 26 months . I had hidden my head in the sand previous to that point , although like yourself I had been having concerns in the back of my mind from when she was very young . She is now at a special school nursery and will be starting g reception there in sept

Skimmingstones Mon 12-May-14 07:14:29

That's really good it's all moving for you now wave, other children I know in my area have been assessed and diagnosed much sooner than ds.

I haven't actually pushed for asd assessment until this year as ds was having so many absence seizures through the day since he was 2.5 that no one really could get a clear picture of him.

I am confident we have still been receiving all services we would with a diagnosis.

Do make sure that your ds nursery actually get on with the statuatory assessment request. My ds nursery were very proactive in getting him support and kept saying he needed statement in place for school but then never actually started the SA process. I think they had the best of intentions but not fully understanding how the system works. So in the end I had to request myself as nothing was happening. It was then later than I'd have liked!

WaveorCheer Mon 12-May-14 17:54:31

I'm planning on doing it myself! I've heard that kind of story a few too many times for comfort on here...

Skimmingstones Mon 12-May-14 19:04:25

You've been in the right place grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now