Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Happy days....

(6 Posts)
LilTreacle Wed 09-Apr-14 12:26:11

DS is attending a sports club, which runs from 9-3 with about 15-20 other children daily. They play a number of team sports, with lots of transitions inside and outside and between sessions, it requires team playing and coooperation, following instructions and rmeembering games rules, is physical, and is noisy when all the kids are having fun.

He has had two brilliant days and cant wait to find out what they will be doing tomorrow. He had a couple of incidents of confusion or upset due to others being a bit mean and taking the ball off him, which he dealt with really well. He is participating fully, and he is loving it. No trouble at all.

This is the child who can only attend school part-time as its too stressful, is taught separately from his peers and has his own playtimes with a TA as he gets too overstimulated by other children at school, reacts immediately to noise and people too close to him and has meltdowns 'for no apparent reason' ......

Am I missing something ?

OneInEight Wed 09-Apr-14 14:53:34

.... probably about 300 other children and a rigid teacher.

I have never been able to work out exactly what ds1's special school does to make him not only cope but thrive - small size, understanding staff et etc. He is even looking forward to the end of term disco on Friday.

Enjoy it while you can and more evidence to show that once your child is in the right environment he will be fine.

zzzzz Wed 09-Apr-14 15:26:47

It's incredible what a difference the attitude of those around us can make.

How many times have we all said "it's the other people who are the problem"

LilTreacle Wed 09-Apr-14 16:19:55

I guess its undemanding in that if he doesn't want to play he doesn't have to, he can sit at the side and watch instead...and its pushing all his buttons for sensory seeking and movement. The coaches are very on the ball (pardon the punn) and know how to engage him.

Rigid teacher ?...well when he was in class yes, but that was many moons ago.........TAs teach DS (yes plural..counted 6 involved with him weekly at last tally, plus the Senco and the social skills teacher and the ICT technician and the autism outreach assistant) ...makes my blood boil.

I am just happy he is getting an opportunity to do what all the other kids are doing and is just getting on with it and having fun.

I am very much looking forward to SS in September...hoping it will have the same impact as you describe OneInEight.

ouryve Wed 09-Apr-14 22:35:54

Glad he's getting so much out of it, LilTreacle.

We're looking forward to a similar change. DS1 mostly has the one TA (school sensibly realised early on that he needed to trust a TA, or else he'd be violent towards them, and the head found one that he adores via the unlikeliest of meetings, rather than the traditional channels). It's not so much a case of the TA teaching him as he has taken it upon himself to teach himself - and he's leaving her behind as far as maths is concerned!

Fingers crossed for the new school. DS1 went for an assessment day at his, last week, and loved it. He was totally impressed by how quiet it was. Most of the kids there are like him and just want peace and quiet so they can get on with something interesting.

streakybacon Thu 10-Apr-14 09:08:21

Glad he's enjoying his week smile.

I expect part of it is not having to join in with things if he doesn't want to - school is far more demanding in that respect, and you can't opt out of the bits that are too much. But yes, I agree that attitude is key when working with children with SNs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now