Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Consultant asked school to arrange educational physcologist but they're refusing!!

(17 Posts)
Poppiesway Mon 07-Apr-14 18:12:27

Just that really..
DS is 7 in yr 3. He has a diagnosis of ADHD, is on meds for school days only. The consultant has written to the school and asked them to arrange with senco for DS to see the child educational physiologist.. however they won't refer him until DS is in yr4. He is currently way below national average in reading and writing and really struggles with both. Maths is fine, just within national average.
Has any one any experience if schools refusing to refer even though the consultant has requested it?
I'm wondering if it's worth paying privately for DS to be assessed now to get him help sooner.
It's getting to the point where he doesn't want to go school any more as he's struggling sad
Thankyou smile

Poppiesway Mon 07-Apr-14 20:46:08


Marne Mon 07-Apr-14 20:58:17

It might be worth posting on the special needs boards, I'm not 100% sure but it may be possible to self refer ,was quite a few years ago since we got dd2 assessed and we did it a few months before she started school , the school she had a place at told us she did not need to be referred because they could deal with everything, I ignored and wrote to county to get her assessed to get a statement in place for when she started school.

There are loads of people on the special needs boards that will probably know more than me.

Poppiesway Mon 07-Apr-14 21:17:16

Thankyou Marne, I'll try there

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 07-Apr-14 21:26:14

our local authority states on the website that if a parent is concerned a school is not referring when it is required then they can contact them directly and they will investigate the situation. I would contact your LA and if you have a copy of documentation from the consultant stating this then enclose a copy and explain the problem.

Poppiesway Mon 07-Apr-14 22:05:03
Poppiesway Mon 07-Apr-14 22:05:29

Oops sorry cocked that first link up!

Littlefish Mon 07-Apr-14 22:07:59

Is it possible that the school has used up their allocation of EP time for this academic year? If so, I presume it must be possible to buy in more time...

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 07-Apr-14 22:51:33

I was wondering that Littlefish but if a consultant wants an EP to visit then I think there should be some way round it, it isn't the school requesting it but the NHS consultant requesting it. Perhaps it can come out of a different budget?

Is the consultant aware that the school isn't arranging it?

Poppiesway Mon 07-Apr-14 23:42:45

No the consultants not aware, unless the school have written to tell her.
I'm on annual leave at moment (with Easter holidays) but I work at the hospital and will go speak to the consultant next week in person.
I though it would be to their benefit to get him assessed as they would get more funding to help him if needed?

Poppiesway Mon 07-Apr-14 23:45:45

I am new to all of this.
Ds1 is completely different to ds2. Ds2 has had speech therapy and so many assessments at school and in clinics.
I love him to bits but is so tireing sometimes!

Littlefish Tue 08-Apr-14 06:37:58

Poppiesway - from what I understand, the school would not get more funding to help your ds. The SEN funding is allocated on an annual basis and it is then up to the school to re-allocate that according to their own priorities. That's why I mentioned that they may have already used up their EP sessions for the year, as schools buy in a certain level of support in the area where I live, and once that's used up, they have to decide whether to fund the funding from elsewhere in the school budget.

oramum Tue 08-Apr-14 11:05:10

another option would be to request statutory assessment frm your LA. they then have 6 weeks to consider your request and then if they agree they will iniate an assessment. this would include an ed pysch, any other agencies already involved eg salt, ot.
if they dont agree to assess you then have the right to appeal via tribunal.

at the end of the assessment the LA will tgen decide if your dc needs a statement of sen. This will list all of his needs and the provision needed to meet these needs.

unfortunately many schools are now reluctant to apply for statutory assessment as they have to fund the first 6k of provision from within their sen budget. if the child is classed as having high needs the LA then top this up. if school wont apply you can do so yourself, check out ipsea for model letters etc.
good luck smile

TwoLeftSocks Tue 08-Apr-14 11:16:47

I'll be interested in how you find it as DS is in a similar situation, though not on meds (might be soon though) and I've asked about referral to the Ed Psy in the past but they've not felt he needs it.

I'm wondering if that's just a reply in place of 'we only get three half days a year and there are other children who need it more'.

Am holding off till after an appt with the paediatrician next week.

Poppiesway Tue 08-Apr-14 22:44:26

Thankyou for all your replies.
I think I'll go ahead and contact the LA myself as I have all the drs reports too.
If I start process now he may be able to get help at least for yr 4. Fingers crossed..

Sheneverdid Wed 09-Apr-14 09:50:45

In our experience Ds's school only used allocated time for all outside agencies but was instructed recently by the LA to use additional funds from somewhere else because EVERY child matters.....and guess what...they managed to find the money even though weeks prior there was no funds at all. Ds was pushed to the bottom of the list so many times because "someone else needed it more" they wasted 3 years and trashed his self esteem.

If I had a £ for every time funds were mentioned to me I would of been able to pay for all the Dc who were being pushed to the bottom of the list!

Nennypops Thu 10-Apr-14 12:44:33

OP, have a look at the IPSEA and SOS SEN websites for full details of how to apply for statutory assessment and the evidence you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now