Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD - Referred Jan, I know its been accepted - no letter - waiting list 2 months

(5 Posts)
girlwhowearsglasses Wed 02-Apr-14 21:08:55

We think DS1 (7) has ADHD.

I have a close relative who has worked in special schools for many years, and has told me over a few years that that DS1 is indicating this strongly. I won't go into it - I've posted before - but on the Connors' scale he has come up very high with both my own and the teacher's assessment. The usual impulsiveness, anger, focussing problems etc are impacting on all our lives - not least the DS2 and 3; and mainlining a united front and consistency in parenting is just really difficult at the moment.

I've called CAMHS maybe five or six times since referral confirmed mid-Feb, the school has called twice too. NO letter, and no assessment date. Last Monday they said 'you'll get an assessment date in the next week or so - if not call again next week'.

Today I call and he's in the system and no notes at all about my or school's calls. I get a call back and apologetic therapist says 'it stinks' that I haven't even had a letter to say on the waiting list, and that its still a two month wait. All I have is that it was discussed and the referral is accepted - told to me verbally over the phone.

I asked would I be able to access their services if I had a private diagnosis, and she said yes, but wouldn't give me any names.

Apart from this absolutely stinking from a fair access to services point of view (makes me angry in the extreme), has anyone got a private diagnosis, and what advice do you have - am I looking for a private child psychologist, psychiatrist?

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 21:30:48

Hi girl it's a really good idea to communicate in writing, either normal mail or email. Follow up every phone call MN writing too. Then complain. Without written records you have no evidence IYSWIM? I would do that before seeking private assessment. Is he getting appropriate support at school? SEN support should be needs based not diagnosis dependent.

girlwhowearsglasses Wed 02-Apr-14 21:35:22

School is very supportive. The thing is they can see what he's like but they're very good at managing it - hence he came up high on their scores - except much lower on the fidgeting restless thing - which after a day at school being engaged in the structured part of the day he finds difficult at home- hence he is hanging off doors, stair wells etc at home.... Its home we need support at.

girlwhowearsglasses Wed 02-Apr-14 21:36:57

I don't have an email trail - you are right - I need to. I don't actually have anything in writing from CAHMS - only form the paediatrician sending referral through.

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 21:39:27

Have a look at these websites:

Challenging Behaviour Foundation

Lives in the Balance - which is the website for Ross Greene's research, he wrote 2 of my most favourite books 'The Explosive Child' and 'Lost at School'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now