Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

goose and carrot...pull up a chair and have one on me...(28 Mar)

(360 Posts)
signandsingcarols Fri 28-Mar-14 17:44:09

Cos it's my birthday tomorrow and I am working sad I have had a foul headache most of the day so will not be partaking myself.. sad but when the week quietens after the review on Tues the end of the birthday week should be more 'snazzy'

This has been such a full week writing the AR parental feedback 5 page report... to try and ensure ds keeps at least some of the hours and the statement is maintained.

I think I have judged the balance of 'reasonable lets work in partnership', with 'if you fail ds I will be your worst nightmare!!! and I will not stop!' grin

how has the week been..

signandsingcarols Fri 28-Mar-14 20:23:05

hazey, ds sounds such a cutey....

moosemama Fri 28-Mar-14 20:41:06

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Sign

Galena She's such a clever little lass. Ds1 was always like that with spellings, 10/10 in top set right the way through. The difference being that he'd then spell them all wrong in his classwork. confused

flowers for RaaRaa

Ellen, I've missed you now - and lately actually. Sorry to hear things are so busy and tough at the moment. Hope you are able to enjoy Sunday and the boys make it up to you when they get home.

Lollipop Well done. Hope you have a fantastic time at Dancing on Ice.

Ds2 has come home from school elated this evening. They had a poet in to visit the school today. He worked with each year group, then did a whole school assembly.

In ds2's class he gave them the first line of a poem, then asked them to complete it and they all read their poems out. When ds read his out, the poet (Jame Carter) told him it was fantastic. Then afterwards spoke to him and said he shows real promise as a poet and should seriously consider it as a career option! shock grin He couldn't remember the whole poem - which was about all the things he would give to someone he loves - but the last line he wrote was "The last fiery embers of a mid-summers day". shock

Interestingly ds1 has also been told he has an aptitude for poetry (he does and it always surprises his teachers, as they don't expect it from a child that has AS) and dd (just 5) wrote her first poem ever this week ... "Fat cat on the mat, I wonder why you are so fat." grin

Ds1 has been in the school playground for the first time ever today. I was really surprised, as he always says he will never go out there becuase it's dangerous. I asked him about it and apparently this was entirely due to the lad he's been buddying being much bigger than him. So - back to hiding in the library and SEN den next week then. hmm

PolterGoose Fri 28-Mar-14 20:46:30

moose well done your ds1 grin it's just fantastic when our kids blast away the stereotypes.

hazey I absolutely love following your ds's development, his desire to communicate and sense of humour shines out through your posts, he is a little star

moosemama Fri 28-Mar-14 20:51:17

Thanks Polter. smile

I have of course told all three of them that they get their poetic prowess from me ... they laughed. hmm grin

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 28-Mar-14 20:54:24

Sign happy birthday. Hope the AR goes well. Mind you they are braver than most if they decide to take on you in fiery mummy mode.

Ellen nice to see you again. Hope your ds gets the options he wants/needs.

Galena well done to your dd.

Moose even from the last line that sounds like a brilliant poem.

Rara more flowers for you.

dd (who incidently has decided you are all my 'ventbuddies') is back at school. She is mostly getting to classes (but sometimes gets forgotten) and there is absolutely no provision for the fact that she can't keep up writing with her left hand or to help her with practical lessons.
Meeting at school said they would have to apply for funding for more support. Supposedly the ECHP will produce emergency funding more quickly hmm. SENCO has started the process but it is the first one she has ever done.

signandsingcarols Fri 28-Mar-14 21:00:55

Nahaudin 'firey mummy mode' grin oh yeah, bring it on!!!! (you made me feel quite brave.)

'sometimes gets forgotten' shock angry hope the SENCO gets her finger out...

homework Fri 28-Mar-14 21:06:58

Moose great your ds has a playground buddy even if only for a short while , hopefully they continue there friendship when child moves up to high school.
Hazey your little boy is an absolute little love .
No haudin could they not in meanwhile give her copy's of the lesson rather than her having to write everything , or they apply for a scribe for her for test and exams. So that she not disadvantaged , know they change the criteria for this , so don't know if she qualify , but printing out class notes shouldn't be a problem for them too much.

Well pizza was lovely for a change , watched Adams family , now got fast and furious five on.

bochead Fri 28-Mar-14 21:44:04

No Haudin - Can she record the lessons on a £30-40 digital dictaphone (prices on amazon) and then store at home on your using the free audacity app? That way she could at least have the lesson recordings to listen to at her leisure.

I find it hard to believe they can't give her a couple of A4 sheets of bullet points on the topics covered in each lesson though.

bluebirdonmyshoulder Fri 28-Mar-14 21:49:53

Hello all, just popping in to check everyone is well. Have been on holiday and then had major internet outages (switched provider, don't ask!) but we're back now!

Hope everyone is well.

Happy birthday sign.

hazey I saw something about A&E and a broken ankle, is everything OK?!

PolterGoose Fri 28-Mar-14 21:56:52

NoHaudin good luck with the EHCP, the dictaphone plus some decent transcribing software is a good idea, I used to record my Uni lectures, it was a real help.

Lovely to see you back bluebird, your absence was noted, how's the chick?

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 28-Mar-14 22:39:23

It is more doing worksheets and writing essays that's the problem rather than taking notes.

She has a history assessment next week so I will be trying to make sure that something adequate is in place for that. SENCO suggested that she brought in laptop from home but her one handed typing isn't really any faster than her writing. She spent hours on a geography essay this week. She didn't want us to scribe it for her.

bluebirdonmyshoulder Fri 28-Mar-14 22:54:38

Bluechick doing v well thanks Polter, very happy little girl at the moment! She seems to be having a bit of a development spurt which is lovely.

It's always nice to be reminded that no-one can predict her final abilities. She is still able to surprise us.

ouryve Fri 28-Mar-14 23:24:14

NHMW, she might find voice recognition software more useful for essays. If she has access to an iPad with siri, even better. I smetimes use that to avoid the onscreen keyboard because it doesn't have the predictive text that my windows phone has. All I usually need to do is a few corrections and a bit of punctuation.

bochead Fri 28-Mar-14 23:41:30

Most schools can get access to Dragon speak voice to text software fairly quickly. The only issue I've found with it is that the user has to "train" the software to recognise their voice/accent. You can pick up a student copy for approx £30.

Give Abilitynet a call - they are experts at assistive technology and should be able to recommend something cost effective and easy for her to use.

hazeyjane Sat 29-Mar-14 07:14:38

Oh dear, within 5 minutes of my mums arrival her and dh were having an argument about The Voice (gawd knows what thats all about!) At least ds is happy, he woke at 5, signing 'nanna' 'ipad' 'pirate' - marched into her room with the ipad and woke her up with 'the pirate song' (ten pole tudor - swords of a 1000 men) at full volume!

Nohaudin, I hope things can move forward a bit more quickly for your dd, she must be so frustrated.

Bluebird so lovely to hear your chick is happy and getting on well. Ds fell and has sprained his ankle, but it has been a right saga, with several visits to hospital and he is still limping now.

Does anyone know anything about vibrating cushions - ds has been so fractious I have been using our on loan one with him, but the way he wants to use it is to put it on a car booster seat and sit on it - does this sound ok? should I limit the time he does this (he could sit on it for ages).

hazeyjane Sat 29-Mar-14 07:15:42

oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIGN!!!!!!!!

thanks honk thanks

autumnsmum Sat 29-Mar-14 08:10:53

Hazey lovely to see you does ds have the film the pirates ? That songs in the film . Dd was up between 12.00 and 3.30 and dp and I have had a disagreement about nappy deliveries ! Apparently fd2 is going to magically toilet train over Easter . Bluebird I've missed yah ! Ra ra flowers for you

autumnsmum Sat 29-Mar-14 08:11:23

Many happy returns sign

PolterGoose Sat 29-Mar-14 08:32:47

Glad to hear bluechick is doing so well smile

I've no idea about the vibrating cushion hazey

Happy birthday sign flowers cake wine

hazeyjane Sat 29-Mar-14 09:18:26

Yes, Autumnsmum! That is the film that started the Pirate love!! It is a fantastic film!

I have found unite a lot of therapeutic cushions that vibrate, online, that are designed to be sat on, so I am hoping it is ok - it is the one way to calm him down at the moment.

moosemama Sat 29-Mar-14 09:59:30

Hazey, dh is very impressed with your ds's taste in music. Probably more impressed than your Mum was at 5.00 this morning! grin

I am off out, without a single child or dog in tow today! shock Dsis is on her own this weekend and has ordered me to take a day off and go and do the shopping/lunch thing with her. The last time I went shopping - or out to lunch - was before Christmas, so I really need it.

Unfortunately, ds2 is currently screaming his head off with abdo pains, in a warm bath. We think it's constipation, related to his hypermobility, as he's been having real problems going through a massive growth spurt and this is what used to happen when he was growing rapidly when he was younger. Movicol has been administered and I'm hoping he will start to feel better before I'm supposed to leave, as I won't feel right going if he's still this distressed, even though I know dh will look after him.

PolterGoose Sat 29-Mar-14 10:01:21

Hope you have a lovely day moose and ds should be feeling better when you get home, have fun smile

autumnsmum Sat 29-Mar-14 10:27:24

Just wanted to say I think the geese on here have genuinely staved off a bout of depression for me . You really do all help so much

PolterGoose Sat 29-Mar-14 10:29:37

autumns smile are you ok?

autumnsmum Sat 29-Mar-14 10:34:02

Fine polter bless you just the general stuff we all deal with plus mil with her usual rhino tact saying I'm being unfair to dd2 keeping her in nappies then telling me at length about a girl she knows whose dd2s age whose auditioning for adverts ! I did tell her there was no way I would do that with any of mine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now