Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Horizon: Living with Autism

(124 Posts)
eggsandwich Tue 25-Mar-14 18:44:30

Just wanted to tell you that on the 1st April on BBC2 9pm there is a programme about living with Autism and this mysterious condition.

zzzzz Tue 25-Mar-14 18:47:30

Mysterious?

eggsandwich Tue 25-Mar-14 18:50:06

Should make interesting viewing!

zzzzz Tue 25-Mar-14 19:13:46

From the blurb on bbc2

"When pioneering developmental psychologist Professor Uta Frith started her training back in the 1960s, she met a group of beautiful, bright-eyed young children who seemed completely detached from the rest of the world.
It turned out they had just been given the then-new diagnosis of autism. Uta passionately wanted to know more about these children, and they inspired her to dedicate the rest of her career to studying the autistic mind.
On the eve of National Autism Day, Horizon reveals how Uta's lifetime study of people with autism has transformed our understanding of this mysterious condition.
In this film Uta shows how people with autism perceive and interact with the world and how, for them, another kind of reality exists. She meets people with autism who have extraordinary talents, and explains why they often fail to understand jokes. She also explores whether many of us could be just a little bit autistic."

hmm. "A little bit autistic" ....

PolterGoose Tue 25-Mar-14 19:24:45

Oh zzzzz that just pisses me right off sad

zzzzz Tue 25-Mar-14 19:29:53

Yes I suspect I may find it a tad irritating. All that mystery and beautiful eyes. <gag>

A lot of Horizon programmes can be quite good, but it sounds as though this one might make me want to throw things at the screen.

hazeyjane Tue 25-Mar-14 19:41:10

I heard a Desert Island Discs with Uta Frith, it was very interesting, she was one of the group of neuroscientists who started the move away from the 'refrigerator mother' idea. On that programme she was very much against the whole 'we're all on the spectrum' thing. Hopefully the programme will be better than the blurb!

zzzzz Tue 25-Mar-14 20:09:05

I have to say generally I like Horizon. I have yet to see a good documentary on autism though. I think it's just one of those subjects that's too easy to fall into stereo types. I always come away thinking "we'll ds isn't autistic then" confused

ouryve Tue 25-Mar-14 20:25:00

I shall watch with the zapper close to hand, I think. It's hard to gauge what the general tone will be from the blurb.

autumnsmum Tue 25-Mar-14 20:52:17

Oh dear the extraordinary talents worries me slightly

autumnsmum Tue 25-Mar-14 20:55:27

Sorry the talents issue worries me as I still have to explain that neither ds or dd2 can do phd level
Maths for example

Hmmm I'll record it I think.

zzzzz Tue 25-Mar-14 21:05:19

grin oh yes idiot savant skills....so fucking irritating. It's like well he's obviously daft but has these few flashes of intelligence. Not the slightest inkling that it might be slightly more likely that you ARE intelligent but it's masked in most areas by your disability. angry. I explained it ds1s paediatrician once. He looked slightly startled but I think is a convert. grin

Redoubtable Tue 25-Mar-14 21:15:08

AFAIK Uta Frith is a highly respected researcher in the field. I have read stuff by her (wont look for cant find references right now).

I wouldn't judge her by the daft copywriter.

zzzzz Tue 25-Mar-14 21:23:07

I'm sure if she's good it will show.

I am a highly respected goose though so I'll see for myself wink.

tethersend Tue 25-Mar-14 21:24:38

Wasn't it Uta Frith who first wrote about theory of mind?

youarewinning Tue 25-Mar-14 21:57:03

I'll watch. I'll turn over if I don't like it!

I guess though from all our differing experiences of ASD the mysterious condition bit is just media talk for misunderstood and varying. <I hope>

Parietal Tue 25-Mar-14 21:59:40

yes, Uta Frith first wrote about theory of mind.

the description doesn't really reflect what will be in the program (inside knowledge), and it should be good.

signandsingcarols Wed 26-Mar-14 20:51:15

zzzz highly respected goose, grin I have obviously had too long a day, as that has given me the giggles... grin

zzzzz Wed 26-Mar-14 20:54:24

I am also often an arse blush

SallyBear Wed 26-Mar-14 23:28:08

I heard a really fascinating interview on radio 4 a couple of years ago, with Uta Frith for A Life Scientific. here

Hi Parietal. Are you involved in this Horizon programme? The 'Autism Puzzle' programme was broadcast while DS2 was in the process of DX and stayed with me for a long time. I've read some Uta Frith books and Lorna Wing and am looking forward to this documentary. I hope the editing is intelligent.

cardboardcactus Sat 29-Mar-14 16:27:16

Thanks sallybear for the link to that interview. I listened to it this morning, it was so interesting. Apart from being such pioneer in the autism field, Uta Frith also sounds like a really lovely woman...

zzzzz Sat 29-Mar-14 23:28:53

Thanks sally it was interesting.

Does anyone know if there is a sally Anne test that is differentiated for those with language disorders?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now