Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Splints

(16 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Sat 22-Mar-14 23:19:38

Clearly my dd is the first child in the history of the universe to need to wear shoes with her splints hmm

Without getting all aggro about the 'helpful' suggestions from the Physio and orthotist does anyone have any recommendation for summer or winter footwear to go over AFOs (below the knee)
It's for a 2 yo so eu size 22/23

Also while I am (hopefully) talking to others with experience of splints, just one splint? Two different sized shoes, what, where, how? Surely this is crazy talk

amymouse Sun 23-Mar-14 00:55:43

The best shoes I found to go over AFOs are pretend Converse style shoes from Primark; they are quite wide, VERY cheap and zip all the way down the inside foot. We generally go up 1-2 shoe sizes by the time you can wiggle splint into shoe. Am still on hunt for affordable waterproof shoes with splints son will watch with interest smile

Our physio recommended really cheap highstree shoe shops, Tescos etc as the 'one size fits all' ones often have more give. Splints must be the only time to actively go shoe shopping for slightly inferior shoes!

amymouse Sun 23-Mar-14 00:56:55

*highstreeT obviously

HerrenaHarridan Sun 23-Mar-14 11:10:53

Well so far Physio/orthotist have recommended uggs, wellies and trainers. This is after telling me that she could just wear any old shoes now, ha bloody ha! (None if these will go over the ankle strap)

They also told me that if they decided to only prescribe one splint next time Clarks will probably split a pair to accommodate the size difference hmm

I took her to get measured and she's a 2/3 sizes bigger with splints.

I did try converse style ones but couldn't get them done up around ankle straps also we first started having this problem in November, l live in Scotland.

So far I have manage to get on
1 pair of bogs neoprene wellies
1 pair of party shoes (strap is low enough to sit under ankle)
1 pair of hush puppy boots from tk max
1 pair of crocs sandals

Unfortunately the party shoes and hush puppies are dead so we are varying between croc sandals and wellies, if her wellies get we then she has no shoes.

I live in Edinburgh, I have dragged this poor kid into every place that sells shoes and this is where I'm at angry

When I explained my anguish to the Physio her helpful response was "well you may have to try going up a size' angryangryangryangryangryangryangryangryangryangryangry

Now they're threatening to only provide 1 and I'm just baffled, have they even considered the real life applications of this sadsadsadsadsad

Galena Sun 23-Mar-14 19:22:51

Erm... We've had soft DAFOs and also some AFOs. There are some shoes which have just a little bit of velcro on the strap, which are rubbish. We found some Bluezoo canvas shoes which did have lots of velcro and did up.

In fact, we've got these 4 pairs that DD has grown out of. They are all a size 7 (Eu24). Some more used than others - and all spring/summery. They all have straps which can open fairly wide (In the photo each has one strap shown at its biggest setting), and I was just thinking I should get rid of them - so if they could be any use, let me know your address and I'll send them out.

The other things I have found good are boys boots which have the hooks rather than eyeholes for the top 2 or 3 spaces - they tend to allow you to open the boot far enough to get the splint inside before doing up and don't take forever to relace.

Anyway, let me know if they are any good...

starfishmummy Sun 23-Mar-14 19:38:59

We used to go to an independent shoe shop and mostly ended up with clarks. The last lair he had were a six to go over his afos. Without them he needed.a 1.5!! He couldn't walk in them properly and the physio said it was because they were too big. We ended up in brantano trying virtually every shoe on and managed to get him into a 5.5 and he was still having problems. At that point they decided Piedros might be better.

Luckily the two pairs of shoes he had fitted me. Not exactly glamorous but ok in the bad weather.

HerrenaHarridan Sun 23-Mar-14 22:12:26

Thank you galena, I will pm you and certainly give them a try, I would try anything I an seriously considering having a pair custom made if they go ahead with this one splint thing.

I am wondering if my dds ankle straps are lower than standard because the ones in you pic in top left and bottom right I have tried lots in that style and they just can't cope with the buckles.
Also I tried Clarks, great big Clarks on the outside of Edinburgh and I tried every pair of shoes in her size both boys and girls and the only pair I could get done up were the aforementioned sparkly party shoes

Galena Mon 24-Mar-14 07:54:00

I shall get them sorted - but possibly not today as I have shopping to do. DD is using a pair of Fitzkids boots at the moment which we got second hand on ebay. They are beautifully wide and have hooks at the top. They are designed for use with orthotics. Might be worth looking out for? I just searched for 'girl ankle boot lace' I think.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 24-Mar-14 09:44:26

Designed for use with orthotics?!? I will investigate this, fitz kids *off to google

Galena Mon 24-Mar-14 10:53:31

These are her Fitzkidz boots. I think they are pricey new, but they'll last. You can't have these till DD has grown out of them. Tbe other advice I had was to take the insoles out of shoes and trainers if you can as they give more space for the splint.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 24-Mar-14 16:10:57

Have been on their website, there's hope yet!

I have also tried taking the soles out of shoes that are deep enough but it's the width at the ankle that's causing the problem, either the does just won't open wide enough to let them (wellies, shoes with high ankles) or if they will go in they, they won't do up/ stay done up.

40islooming Thu 27-Mar-14 18:40:50

Hi I went to Next for all my dd1's shoes to go over afo's and dafo's. Bought high top trainer type shoe with Velcro or laces&side zip. Loads of choice and relatively easy to get on both styles. Not too expensive either although dd had splints on both legs so same size.

Dd couldn't wear wellies with splints as had to go too big to get on and therefore rubbed. I had two pairs of the trainer boots so one could be drying while she wore the others! I also live in Scotland smile.

If you are still looking, and don't mind second hand, then it might be worth keeping an eye out here: Special Needs Equipment
Or, have you seen Gilbert and Melish ? They sell Piedro orthopaedic footwear, some are especially designed for AFOs, they all open up really wide, you can get laces or velcro. You might be able to get them supplied through the NHS (ask orthotics/physio). Another brand to look out for is Nimco.

Meant to say, Gilbert and Melish do good sales!

HerrenaHarridan Thu 03-Apr-14 01:03:22

Thanks all smile

We now have 4 pairs of shoes and sandals to see dd through till her splints are sized up, many thanks to galena for them.

Will be bookmarking nimco and Gilbert and mellish.

We do have piedro boots although they fit without splints.

The sizing up things really is a problem my dd has teeny under develop skinny size 4 feet and by the time you've sized up shoes to go over the splints she looks like she's wearing banana boots.

One of the pairs galena sent are sandals so you can actually see her teeny feet inside huge shoes, she doesn't seem to mind though grin

A breakthrough on the one splint thing, I took my friends kid to an orthotics appt and guided to orthotist through dd no splint, one splint and 2 splints.
Then I showed her what happens when you put a hat on another child and on dd with one splint (other child stands there, dd crumples sad) and she agreed she will prescribe 2 splints and that we will use 1 at home (when it's relatively flat and safe to fall) and 2 out and about.

Dd also fully backed up my claim that she was emotionally reliant on the stability of the splints. When she has just one on she stood and played at the toy and had to be coaxed to walk. When I put the second on she started running round the room for the sheer pleasure. This stopped with no splints.
It was a such a relief, it's so frustrating trying to explain to medical staff what you see at home when your child is making you look like a liar grin

Galena Thu 03-Apr-14 07:46:29

Glad they are ok... You can see we went to a range of shops for them.

And also glad the orthotist could see sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now