Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

10 year old with phobias and general anxiety

(5 Posts)
booface Thu 20-Mar-14 19:08:07

Posting in here also as although DS not diagnosed as such with SN, I really hope to find some help here. My 10 Yr old has a spider phobia that is very dramatic and he wakes believing he has spiders crawling on him and it is very difficult to calm him. Also massively over reacts if he hurts himself and sees blood to the extent that he makes himself sick with screaming. Also fears of being on a boat and very sensitive to heights.

He is very sensitive to strong smells, was phobic of creams and medications as child.

He is getting aversion therapy for the spider thing, but so far had massive panic attack when he just looked at picture of spider, so it is going to be bit slow progress I think.

Any other suggestions from those with experience of this?

booface Thu 20-Mar-14 19:11:37

bump (hopefully smile

PolterGoose Thu 20-Mar-14 20:18:20

Hi boo I have a ds who has a primary dx of Aspergers and a fair amount of anxiety, a lot of it comes from sensory processing problems and I wonder if that might be relevant for your ds's issue with smells? Have you ever seen the book 'The Out of Sync Child'? It may be worth a look smile

I've also found the Dawn Huebner CBT workbook 'What to do when you worry too much' really useful as a structured programme to do with my ds. There's another called 'What to do when your brain gets stuck' which is aimed at children with OCD but I suspect it might be helpful too.

sami1985 Thu 20-Mar-14 20:29:33

I had a very extreme spider phobia and had NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) its really changed my life!! I don't know if its suitable for kids but I would recommend at least looking into it. could maybe help with other issues too x

booface Thu 20-Mar-14 20:45:22

Thanks so much for your kind and very helpful suggestions. I have heard CBT is very useful, so will def take a look at that.

Also NLP an interesting thought. I don't know much about it and will look into it. Glad you have got over your phobia Sami, that must be a great relief (and is encouraging that it can be done smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now