Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Delayed speech or ASD?

(5 Posts)
MakingAnotherList Fri 07-Mar-14 09:56:07

I took DS (28 months) to the GP about a month ago due to concerns about his development. I had convinced myself he has ASD.
GP mentioned autism without me suggesting it and referred DS to, I assume, a community paediatrician. The appointment is in 2 weeks.
Since the GP appointment DS has started to point at things. He also played "tea party" with DD(age 7) and pretended to eat and drink.
He still doesn't say anything at all.

After reading about ABA therapy I have been spending a couple of hours a day with him doing that. I always used to talk to him and encourage him to say words, but I am currently concentrating on helping him to recognise objects by name. I still say all words clearly and encourage him to try, but he doesn't usually open his mouth. He has now made up his own sign for "swing" and points at birds, aeroplanes etc. when we are out walking.

He has a 12 piece puzzle which he can complete, it has vehicles on it. He cannot consistently identify the vehicles but gets the car right every time. The bus, plane, boat and train he gets correct about 19/20. He needs help to identify the helicopter and ship.

I suppose what I am asking is, should I tell the comm paed that DS has made great improvements in the last month? I'm worried that if I tell him, he'll say wait and see, but I understand the importance of early intervention if it is ASD.

MakingAnotherList Fri 07-Mar-14 09:57:59

Just to clarify, I haven't actually started an ABA program for him. I watched lots of YouTube videos and I'm just trying some of the activities to see how he gets on.

Edendance Fri 07-Mar-14 13:17:50

I would hold off and see what they say at the appointment, they will asses on what they see and they are trained to do that. You will be asked questions and answering honestly will give them lots of information as to make a diagnosis, I wouldn't over complicate by volunteering information right now, save it for the appointment. Good luck.

MakingAnotherList Fri 07-Mar-14 14:17:01

Thanks. I've been saying for months and months that if DS wasn't so affectionate and good at eye contact I'd think he had ASD.
Wish I'd looked into it sooner now, I feel like I've wasted so much time assuming that children with ASD were alike.
I'll do as you suggest and just answer any questions honestly when the time comes.

Edendance Fri 07-Mar-14 14:33:42

I worked with a little boy with highly functioning ASD (no learning difficulties) who we had on ABA. He was diagnosed at 2 and I worked with him at 2.5. His speech was delayed, he began to talk just before 3 (if I remember rightly). He was a very easy going child, his melt downs were very rare and he was affectionate. If only it was as simple to diagnose as 'one size fits all' and some children appear to be quite 'textbook' in how they are but many aren't smile

He is now doing very well at a mainstream private school (which openly caters for SEN) with 1:1 support and lots of friends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now