Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

When to take them on? SS in Scotland

(7 Posts)
Firsttimer7259 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:00:17

Im coming to the conclusion that our LA is just spinning us along in an effort to protect its resources. I dont want to out us but we are in Scotland, and social services just arent giving us the practical help I think we are entitled to. I get a lot of nice comments, praise and s*%t but no actual help. (eg: I got onto a course for carers thats full of ways of thinking about things and mindfulness techniques - I dont need this, my head is sorted I need practical help).
What can I do? I need help identifying their legal duties so I can put more pressure on them to do what they are supposed to. Can someone point me in direction of relevant bits of scottish law and any advice agencies I could contact.

Firsttimer7259 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:01:18

Plus should I be careful in going down this path? Ive been pursuing a 'be nice' strategy for years now and its not working but I am nervous about being more strident

PolterGoose Thu 06-Mar-14 10:27:55

Have you tried Contact a Family link is for their Scotland leaflet. Might be worth a try?

ouryve Thu 06-Mar-14 10:34:51

I don't think you have to be too nice. They're spending public money on things which probably put ticks in boxes but don't even begin to meet your needs. A politely assertive approach is justified.

StrawberryGashes Thu 06-Mar-14 10:48:22

Have you got an advocate? Mindroom are advocates for those with ASD, and possibly other disabilities as well. They may be able to help, or another organisation closer to you.

Bigpants1 Fri 07-Mar-14 21:58:51

Hi Firsttimer,
I'm in Scotland too. Your next step is to write a formal letter to the head of Childrens Services in your area & tell them clearly what help/ services you need. State also what a poor service you have been offered so far, & what you do Not need-ie any more Courses.
Do you know there is a Carers Straregy which sets out Carers Rights & what Social Services should offer you in terms of Assessments etc. You can get a copy on-line or in the Library, maybe in the local S Services office!
You can be assertive whilst still being 'nice'.

Firsttimer7259 Sun 09-Mar-14 14:53:21

Thanks all of this is really helpful - caf look good and I will contact them if I keep being stymied. Meantime got a further safety check booked by la will see where that goes. I'm planning to deal w them in writing from now on cos they're slippery buggers and I get so angry dealing w them it's hard to keep things constructive. What would I do without mumsnet sn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now