Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Mobile phone recommendations?

(8 Posts)

My Downs stepson is in his final year at school, and we are trying to find ways of encouraging him to be more independent, or be able to be left alone for a while. One idea is to give him a really simple to use mobile phone, with the irgent contact numbers easily accessible.

Any recommendations?

bigbluebus Thu 27-Feb-14 18:08:28

Would one of these be of any use?

www.ageuk.org.uk/products/mobility-and-independence-at-home/mobile-phones/

or were you looking for something more mainstream?

That looks interesting, shall examine further!

Many thanks.

PolterGoose Thu 27-Feb-14 21:13:02

Smart phones can be great tools, does he use an iPad? If he does then an iPhone might be easy. The voice recognition is good too.

SallyBear Thu 27-Feb-14 23:25:09

We just got my DS a basic cheap Nokia that cost a tenner. It just does voice and text. No camera, no data. Very basic. Huge battery life about 10 days and is easy to use. Carphone Warehouse do them.

He can use an iPad, and can facetime his friends.

Size of buttons is an issue, as is being able to "lock" it when in his pocket, and then "unlock" easily when its being used. But all these suggestions are very helpful, thanks!

bigbluebus Fri 28-Feb-14 15:39:28

May I just say that I would go for something cheap (not withstanding his ability to operate an I Phone on the basis he can use an I-Pad).
My DN 18 (who also has Downs) who has been at residential college for the last 2 years has lost/mislaid so many phones that it has caused no end of angst for his parents. Fortunately they have only ever bought him cheap phones with PAYG Sim.
Just something to consider.

Absolutely - I'd hesitate on an iPhone, and it'll definitely be a PAYG one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now