Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

21.2.14 - Goose and Carrot - Rum and hot chocolate specials

(264 Posts)
hazeyjane Fri 21-Feb-14 18:16:35

Have felt chilled to the bone and out of sorts all day, hence the rum and hot chocolate (purely medicinal)

Highlight of my day was ds having his first ever proper haircut! Our lovely hairdresser was over cutting the dds hair and he climbed up on his chair and made his sign for 'chop' - fortunately she is very quick!

SallyBear Fri 28-Feb-14 18:12:44

New thread here

ouryve Fri 28-Feb-14 17:10:39

DS1 is "tired" and grouchy. Need to see if DH is finished with work, upstairs, so I can go make tea. I should probably phone or email him, unless I can persuade DS2 to go up with me.

Jacksterbear Fri 28-Feb-14 16:54:06

Alice we have a wobbly toilet seat too and can't seem to fix it! confused

Sally hopefully ds1 will be on the mend soon.

Wish I had used the "he has autism" explanation earlier today. Took ds into baker's after school to choose a treat, he asked the lady for "a bun", she asked if he meant an iced bun or a hot cross bun and he burst into tears and started shouting "never mind! I won't have anything then!" repeatedly and hysterically. Poor lady looked horrified and said "sorry did I upset him?" And I was mortified and muttered "no it's not you, so sorry" before making a hasty retreat.

He's now having a bad evening, swinging between furious shouting and tears. sad

AliceinWinterWonderland Fri 28-Feb-14 13:33:01

Hey all. Just popping in to say hello. I've picked up a few small things that were needed around the house today.

Bought a bright new toilet seat (blue) and replaced the one that had broken. Although to be honest, it still slightly wobbles a bit side to side when pushed and the bolts are all the way tightened - are toilet seats just not a solid as they used to be?? Any suggestions gratefully received. confused

I also found a lovely "distressed" blue triple picture frame that was on clearance for £3, and I have vouchers for £2.50, so 50p!! grin Very pleased.

I bought one of those big round light covers to put on my bedroom light - and the metal part on top seems a bit snug fit over the hanging cord of the light - has anyone got one of these? I'm afraid of damaging the cord, although it probably won't, it just me being paranoid I imagine. It's shaped like a globe with flowers on it, and the top part is a wire that goes through the globe in a rectangle with a little E shape on top to put the cord though so the light dangles in the middle. blush

SallyBear Fri 28-Feb-14 13:14:41

Got to Oxford 30 mins late. As expected they will see DS4 again in two years. Phew. Sat in Mcdonalds scoffing chips. DS1 has an ear infection and is home with the dog and is on antibiotics.

Jacksterbear Fri 28-Feb-14 12:17:30

Thanks all. I need to speak to them re lining up. There are strategies on the OT's sensory diet schedule, which they are meant to be following, but I suspect are not always.

practically, brew < hot choc. Hopefully this will mean improvements will come very soon.

practicallyperfectornot Fri 28-Feb-14 12:11:51

Afternoon all.

Feeling a bit low today so in need of hot chocolate (minus the rum, I don't think it would be wise right now). smile

Dc's school have finally had their OFSTED report, they are in special measures. OFSTED have noted that disabled/SEN Dc make varying degrees of progress due to varying support from different CT and TA's. Thank god someone with clout has finally noticed this, it's been like pulling teeth for the last 4 years!

ouryve Fri 28-Feb-14 10:36:19

Jackster - if he struggles with lining up (sensory hell!) I would suggest to the teacher that he be allowed to hold back until teacher is ready to lead the class out and joins the front of the line with them.

I'm a mean mum who rarely buys anything more exotic than plain digestives, (can't give DS1 chocolate anyhow) though both boys are partial to M&S version of Jammie dodgers and they rather like the expensive pudding style cookies that they do.

hazeyjane Fri 28-Feb-14 10:35:25

Jackster, grr on your behalf.

Fun sticks grin

Good luck with appointments, Sallybear.

I have been kicked out of house, because hordes of men are removing large amounts of asbestos from our loft. I was going to keep ds off preschool today, but it actually seemed a better place for him, so left him cuddling his 1-1 looking at his collection of pirate books.

So I am sat in Caffe Nero, next to a very grumpy man who is peering over his glasses and harumphing at all the mums with buggies and babies and chatty toddlers....I am expecting an AIBU thread to be started by DistinguishedLookingTelegraphReader, later entitled, 'AIBU should all these bloody women just bugger off and leave me in peace'

Waiting for gp to call, she is going to try and squeeze us in during her lunch break. Ds looks a lot rosier of cheek today though.

Senco at preschool spoke to me today to say that ds's lead professional has been 'let go' (with a raise of the eyebrows) and the (formidable) former area inclusion officer has asked to be his lead professional, if we want her.....it's all very Machiavellian in that Central SEN office!

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 10:24:35

Jackster shock perhaps time to request a more appropriate lining up arrangement?

Jacksterbear Fri 28-Feb-14 10:12:06

Anyone else thinking of the Lady Gaga "disco stick" song? grin

Sally hope you manage to get to all your appointments on time.

A bit cross about an incident at school pick-up time yesterday. DS came barrelling out of school, hysterical, into the playground while the rest of his class were lining up in their classroom ready to get coats etc. He happened to run straight into me but if I hadn't been there (it was still a couple of mins before finish time) he could easily have run straight out of open school gates into the road. It was a good couple of minutes before CT came out to find him (I don't think they realised immediately he had come outside and had been looking in the corridor for him). Was annoyed mostly because no-one seemed that alarmed and just said "oh good you've got him" and left me to it as he went screaming off around the playground. Apparently there had been some incident with another boy in the line (and they know he is not good with lining up, plus this other boy and him have a history of disagreements that have turned physical, so not sure why that wasn't better managed grr). Sorry for long rant!

SummerRain Fri 28-Feb-14 09:14:35

Hazey, they must have been a euphemism for something alright as they renamed them 'groovy' a few months back but kept the packaging identical. Groovy biscuits just doesn't have the same ring to it though so they'll always be disco biscuits in this house!

They are bloody lovely, they're one of my must have items when I pass an aldi as there's none nearby... I'm going to have to bulk buy them now!

Fun sticks look like my type of biscuit too, that looks like the perfect chocolate to biscuit ratio [yum]

Hazey, glad to hear ds is looking perkier, good luck at the gp.

Sally, good luck to your dd too, hopefully the ear infection isn't too serious and her other appointment is positive.

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 09:10:04

Good luck Sally flowers

SallyBear Fri 28-Feb-14 08:36:33

DS1 seems to be getting an ear infection. Just what you need on a Friday! Managed to get a GP appt for 9.50. DS4 has a craniofacial appt at 11 in Oxford, which is an hours drive away. Dear god!

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 07:39:51

Good luck hazey

Summer I'm liking the look of Disco Biscuits, ds's favourite biscuits at the moment are Fun Sticks which is another bizarre and possibly euphemistic biscuit name grin

hazeyjane Fri 28-Feb-14 07:21:20

Wow Disco Biscuits look bloody lovely! (Have I just made up the fact that 'Disco Biscuit' is a euphemism for ecstasy?)

Well done to your ds.

Ds slept really well last night and has woken up a happier, perkier boy. Will see what gp says ( she is great, and a big fan of mini hazey!)

SummerRain Thu 27-Feb-14 23:54:09

<whispers>

I think we've had a breakthrough in the poo situation shock

We're bribing him to poo in the toilet with disco biscuits from aldi as he's a bit obsessed with them atm.

2 days in a row it's worked... If we get a third day we'll have broken the previous record!

youarewinning Thu 27-Feb-14 23:14:13

Oh yeah! Probably should have worked that one out for myself! It was strange to me that it felt so natural to say it - but yet I actually don't have an official dx of asd for him.

We were at sport therapy (for my neck/back). Ds was chatting to therapist about minecraft. Then he got up and went to the cd player that looked like a docking station. Therapist told him it was CD player and showed him cupboard of CDs and was chatting to ds about them, music etc. Ds just stood staring at cds, said nothing, closed cupboard, picked up his backpack and walked out!

zzzzz Thu 27-Feb-14 23:13:22

Ds1 tries quite hard not to be independent.

ouryve Thu 27-Feb-14 22:56:22

sorry youare - it's emphatic txtspk for "seriously"

And zzzzz both boys do try hard to do things independently, but it's rather like herding cats, all the same. DS2 functions as a 2 year old, so we regard him getting dressed or performing anything to do with self care of his own accord as a rare novelty to be enjoyed (and encouraged). DS1 has days when his executive functioning has degenerated to a very basic level and he needs guiding every step of the way despite his protests. He might be 10 and highly intelligent, but he still needs his teeth cleaning, his arse wiping and, many days, help with getting dressed. All a rather depressing reality, unfortunately.

youarewinning Thu 27-Feb-14 22:53:43

I'm not surprised your worried.mDo you have an understanding GP who gets mothers instinct counts for a lot?

hazeyjane Thu 27-Feb-14 22:45:52

I asked dd2 to go upstairs to get her boots and clean her teeth this morning. When she came down, I said, 'middle hazey, where are your boots?', she just looked completely non plussed and said, 'um, I got my recorder and went to the toilet'....

Well ds fell asleep listening to his sleepy time music, but doesn't seem quite right. I will bring him into bed with us tonight and see his gp in the morning. Thankyou for being lovely geese today, I am a bit worried about him.

youarewinning Thu 27-Feb-14 22:44:11

Glad to hear it doesn't seem weird ouryre. What does SRSLY mean though?!

zzzzz Thu 27-Feb-14 22:24:57

I am regularly heard lecturing explaining to my young that they can't all use my brain. They must at some point learn to engage there own.
1 out of 5 gets ready independently......boooooooring.

ouryve Thu 27-Feb-14 22:08:22

Youare - not weird. SRSLY.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now