Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here.

What does your young person do post-college, during the day?

(22 Posts)
PottedPlant Sat 08-Feb-14 14:26:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Argentina Sat 08-Feb-14 15:34:06

Although the council may not offer provision, most areas have voluntary/charity supported living projects. It's worth speaking to local advice services, eg CAB or Shelter if you have them, and some areas have local 'hubs' for young people to access housing and support. Have you spoken to the residential college as they might have some ideas?

I have no idea on the PA thing, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along.

PottedPlant Sat 08-Feb-14 15:47:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigbluebus Sat 08-Feb-14 16:18:26

I have a DN with DS who is similarly finishing residential college this summer. His parents always knew that it would not be the best thing for any of them if he came back to live at home after 3yrs away and so it has always been part of his transition planning a through the college that he would find a place elsewhere. I don't know details but they have found some sort of residential unit for YP with LD based on a farm where they grow veg and sell it - so it provides employment as well as accommodation.
You do realise that you are under NO obligation to provide a home for your DS when he finishes college. He is an adult now, and it is up to SC to find him an appropriate place to live. This will be of better quality if you do your own research and find somewhere suitable yourself. DO NOT be fooled by their supposed policy that Young People should live at home with their parents - it is purely to save them money and if he comes back to you in the Summer, it will be even harder to get him a placement elsewhere in the future. I know it sounds harsh, but refuse, refuse, refuse.

PottedPlant Sat 08-Feb-14 17:39:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sorry to steal thread but how do you go about getting a social worker if you're an adult with a disability/SN?

I'm still really confused.

PottedPlant Sun 09-Feb-14 13:57:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Geneticsbunny Mon 10-Feb-14 16:17:37

Kitty I think you can just ring your local council. The number should be on their website. Ask to be put through to the department for special needs social workers.

Pottedplant we have a PA although my son is only 4 so it is a bit different from your situation. We were recommended to try our local university for relevant students (trainee speech therapists) or local churches. Ended up employing a friend in the end but might try the university too so we have a back up. It is a real faff setting all the stuff up. Took us about 6 months in the end but that was partly due to disorganisation on my part. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

stillstandingatthebusstop Mon 10-Feb-14 17:27:29

Hi Pottedplant My Ds3 (mld & autism) is 12yrs and I'm already worrying about what will happen when his education is over. Will he just hang about at home? What will he do? Will I be even more tied to him than I am now? confused
It's a worrying prospect and I am honking for you in your attempts to find suitable living etc for your son. Honk honk (hope you know what that means).

PottedPlant Tue 11-Feb-14 14:18:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PottedPlant Tue 11-Feb-14 14:19:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheBuskersDog Netherlands Tue 11-Feb-14 23:36:41

Do you have a personal budget for your son?

Agree with the previous poster that Social Services cannot have a policy that adults with learning disabilities must live with their parents, they just want that because it is cheaper and they know no parent wants to say they won't care for their child. He is entitled to live independently of you.

PottedPlant Wed 12-Feb-14 13:44:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magso Thu 13-Feb-14 14:29:02

Ok there is a system for applying for funding for young people with disabilities over 18. Its all changing and I think it is called a core assessment. I recently attended a course about transition to adulthood ( ds is a teen), but cannot find the notes and have a useless memory. Only certain people (those who need a lot of support) are eligible for a core assessment. A Mum talking to us on the course has an adult son who lives in a supported flat with a budget to pay for carers (including a live in carer) to take him out and support him on an evening cooking course. She is now able to work after decades of caring for her son. She found the flat herself, fought for the funds and overseas the budget and carers. She had to fight for extra money to make sure her son had enough to keep busy and enjoy life. I will try and find my notes in case they help!

bigbluebus Thu 13-Feb-14 15:31:54

potted Have you looked at this website:
in control

You may find some helpful information about how to put a package together.

PottedPlant Fri 14-Feb-14 15:19:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flappingandflying Fri 14-Feb-14 17:01:33

Hi. The social services team need to do a reassessment and you need to fill in the form from hell (what's new) then they come out and have a massive meeting and anything you want you say he needs then. Then they decide on a personal budget. You need to think about worst case scenarios so flyingboy's personal budget was done if basically my husbannd and I weren't around. He doesn't get even a fraction of the sum of money but they've funded a PA for a certain number of hours and if after college he's hanging around at home doing nothing, we can get that upped. The PA comes from a local agency. The social worker should know of agencies. We get some money to pay for some things such as his driving assessment but I opted for SS to desl with the PA claims becuass it is scary amounts of money.

Badgers5 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:49:20

There is no way that Social Services can insist that your adult child lives with you. It is actually unlawful and they know it. My DD has ASD and we were forced to go down the legal route but she is in an excellent placement. DD employed the solicitor so that there was no conflict of interests. Residential placements vary from high cost therapeutic ones which are excellent to others that are basically bed and board and everything in the community! In these days where local authorities are making significant cut backs in local authority provision I would never go for a placement that relies on all its provision in the community and nothing guaranteed. Do your homework on any suggested placements as from experience we were lied to by some placements who when challenged decided they were unsuitable.

TheBuskersDog Netherlands Mon 17-Feb-14 00:36:28

My son lives in a supported living house with two others, it is owned by a housing association that is part of/works with his care providers and each of them has an individual contract. His personal budget funds one to one care during the day (when not at college) and shared care overnight.

We chose this house for him to live in because it met his needs, we had met the CEO of the care provider early on in our search and felt happy to work with and her company. He lives in a lovely detached house in a village close to the town where he goes to college and about 30 minutes drive from us, and has a lovely team of support workers.

Whilst our social worker was involved and SS had to be happy with the placement, it has been driven by us and what we believed was the right move for him when he left residential school. We knew we wanted him to be in a shared supported living house, an original plan fell through so when he left school he came back home and it took almost a year to sort out but we didn't want to move him somewhere that wasn't right. He has been there since last June and so far so good.

bochead Tue 18-Feb-14 08:40:00

Make it very clear to the social worker that your child is NOT coming home to live with you. Repeat ad nauseum. Point out occasionally that they have X no of months to get a supported living placement arranged for him. Do you research on supported living schemes in your own and neighbouring counties and show the SW any relevant literature you come across.

Go to the housing office and fill in a form for him.

Do the same with the council where his residential school is.

Weigh up the best of the two offers.

You need to set up the expectation that as an adult he is now the core responsibility of adult services. Not to sound nasty, but it's better you do it now, than for SS to accept him when he is grieving over your death in 30 years time as you won't be around forever.

It's about setting the SW's expectations and being very, very firm. It is possible to get it done, SS just hope they won't have to as living with you is the easy option for them.

I went through this for my sibling last year, and learned it comes down to a battle of wills that you have to win by being very polite and very firm. In my case my widowed mother is getting too elderly and I couldn't meet my siblings needs and my child's. So do ensure any non SN adult siblings are on board with your goals as SS may try to play you off against each other.

PottedPlant Tue 18-Feb-14 15:35:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PottedPlant Tue 18-Feb-14 15:36:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now