Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Goose and Carrot 17th Jan 2014

(234 Posts)
SallyBear Fri 17-Jan-14 16:52:27

Dominos is on its way! Thank god. I am so tired and really could not be bothered to cook for the DC. I've been having niggling headaches all week, which is most unlike me.

I've put in the nomination form for Parent Governor. Tried to steer a parent towards DS4's sp Sch but he is in denial about his child's ASD believing that if he throws enough money at it and puts him in a private ill-equipped school for NT kids that his son will start to speak..... I tried hmm

Had a weird thing happen this month. I keep getting Another MNrs Microsoft Outlook messages on DS's iPad. Very odd! I think that they've been hacked which could mean that we could be hacked too. shock

Off out to dinner tomorrow night with DH and another couple. Our first dinner out together in about 18months!

PolterGoose Fri 17-Jan-14 16:59:13

Good luck with the governor thing Sally and enjoy your night out tomorrow wine are you absolutely sure ds isn't a closet MNer?

I've updated on the old thread so won't drag it all into here.

SummerRain Fri 17-Jan-14 17:05:55

Happy Friday everyone. Just back from the shops with ds1, we went to the barber's first which he loves so he was good as gold for me thankfully... I've stocked up on tasty food and treats for tonight and dp and I are having a movie night. I got a raise on Monday which we haven't had a chance to celebrate yet and my wages came in this morning so we got a few months rent paid so plenty of reasons to treat ourselves and have a nice evening. I had a voucher for €50 from the supermarket for spending a certain amount over xmas so it hasn't even cost anything... Result wink

SallyBear Fri 17-Jan-14 17:10:17

Well done Summer!! How lovely. Nothing nicer than a little windfall.

SallyBear Fri 17-Jan-14 17:11:01

DS is definitely not a MNr. He's many things, but not a MNr!

PolterGoose Fri 17-Jan-14 17:12:56

Summer how fantastic, you so deserve it grin

Sally grin

autumnsmum Fri 17-Jan-14 17:14:10

Sally I think you would be a great governor

Jacksterbear Fri 17-Jan-14 17:19:05

Summer, yay for raise wine.

Enjoy your pizza Sally.

So very, very tired today sad.

Galena Fri 17-Jan-14 17:27:25

Fantastic news all round!

Looky at what Reception-age DD got today (and yes, I know it's got her name on... but it's not searchable)

SallyBear Fri 17-Jan-14 17:34:01

The kids fell onto the dominos like it was their last meal. DH and I are eating later once they're in their rooms and I can flop in the sofa with wine.

I hope if I am elected, that I do make a good governor. The LA send you on a governorship course apparently!

Just a quickie - Summer you're in Ireland I think. My friend's son has ASD, ADHD, and Treacher Collins Syndrome, he's deaf and non verbal. She's a single mum and his behaviours can be very difficult to manage. She applied to the HSE and they awarded her 2 hours respite a week. She contested it today and they told her that they were going to deliver it in 4x30 minute slots per week and that was their best offer. I was shocked. I get two hours respite, though mine is worth 14.10 per hour as opposed to the 25euros per hour she gets. Difference being that I can use mine how I want.

ouryve Fri 17-Jan-14 17:45:12

30 minutes is barely long enough for a bath, Sally!

Freezer Friday here. Fish feet, chips in the oven and peas just gone on to boil.

Both boys had uppy downy days. Ds2's 1:1 had to go out for a bit, so ds2 stayed with senco. He missed her and was crying when she returned. Ds1 had another wobble over she'd keys. I might have broken his walking home script, last night, but he tried a new one, today. He then lost it when his tablet didn't understand him when he asked it "show me a picture of a fake two pound". He got more and more frustrated and ended up shouting it very fast!

autumnsmum Fri 17-Jan-14 17:46:37

Galena well done to your dd

AtYourCervix Fri 17-Jan-14 17:49:27

Evening all.

I want. No, NEED, Dominoes.

Bloody vegan, dry, 5:2 fasting january. I've shed 11lbs but I'm desperate for wine. I love wine. And cheese.

Anyway. Hurrah for windfalls and ace certificates.

Mixed week here. School is utterly shit but DD2 has gone out and got herself a little job.

I'm unutterably fed up with rain and washing on all the radiators and mud.

And I want wine

Thepoodoctor Fri 17-Jan-14 18:16:31

Evening. wineto all.

Just beginning the SA wagon with DS. Request went in on Tuesday - then rejected because I hadn't physically signed it as opposed to allowing Senco to type my name on the electronically submitted form angry the two page letter of support not being sufficient evidence that the Senco hadn't cooked up the application without informing me, as I'm sure they just love to do angryangryangryangryangry

After a carefully composed and remarkably restrained email it is going to next weeks meeting.

DS is in a terrible state. Volatile meltdowns, shouting and aggression at the drop of a hat. I'm getting rather tired of the status of punchbagsad

Wondering whether we should use this process to push for non-mainstream provision, but there really isn't a lot. One dyslexia unit in a mainstream, one speech and language - neither of which I think he ticks - and a BESD school which is also the PRU and where I suspect we really shouldn't send a child who imitates behaviour. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Work also in a mess and may have to change posts so I'm standing the round

winewinewinewinewine

Thepoodoctor Fri 17-Jan-14 18:17:29

And rant over - well done to miss Galena!

Good luck with the Pg application Sally, think you'll be really good.

And a good and quiet weekend to all.

PolterGoose Fri 17-Jan-14 18:19:12

Oh poo sad angry

SummerRain Fri 17-Jan-14 18:20:27

Sally, has she applied for all the other benefits like dca and carers allowance? Help is hard to get over here unfortunately, we get nowhere near as much assistance as those of you in England. If she's getting dca she'll get a lump sum in June of just over a grand which is a respite payment to be used at the carers discretion.

If her ds is in school he should be getting full resource hours (3.4 per week) plus access to an SNA dependent on his needs and the schools size... Our sna is on half time and is shared between 3 children in several rooms. The school will have some general allocation resource hours to be used at their discretion though.

Respite is hard to come by (as is everything else as you've provably gathered from my frequent whinging on here) and the hse will have a set amount of hours available which has to be shared between all in the region, irrespective of how many... It's unfair but unfortunately the funding just isn't there. I'd suggest she contact her local TD and see if they can put pressure on higher up the chain. The entire system here is outdated and badly in need of more funding, leaving people like your friend without vital resources.

Thanks for all the congrats folks smile

signandsingcarols Fri 17-Jan-14 18:22:56

hi all, I will change my name back from christmas when I remember how can be arsed busy but productive week, exam board for all my HE students, so an extra days work, but am finding the benefit of the cut in hours even with that extra.The kitchen refit looms (yay) so we are starting to pack up/sort out, hence house looks like bomb has hit it, (as usual) but I have an excuse. grin grin

Ds has settled back into school well, so chez sign jogs along, and dh has been saying he will go out in the previously mentioned 'little car' (the mobility scooter) for a trail drive, (yay) after ignoring it for the last three months, which is also a huge development.

I too am set to be school governer, (kinda co-opted on, with elections next yr) and have said I am interested in the SEN governer role, so that should be 'interesting'

hazeyjane Fri 17-Jan-14 18:24:52

Would like a very large wine please.

Feeling very down having received ds's ed psych report, which will be great for the statement, but is a fairly depressing read.

Then getting dd2's report from the dyslexia assessment, I need to read through it all properly, because it is quite dense with lots of scores, which I don't have a clue about, but seeing the words, 'dd2 has specific learning difficulties....' kind of brought me up short.

Hope you have a good evening, Sallybear.

Well done, Galena's dd.

Well done Cervix's dd too.

winewinewine for all!

signandsingcarols Fri 17-Jan-14 18:26:10

sorry spent so long typing thread had moved on, that's rotten poodoctor.. angry sad

PolterGoose Fri 17-Jan-14 18:28:45

wine wine wine hazey

sign glad things are going well for you and good luck with the kitchen smile

hazeyjane Fri 17-Jan-14 18:29:08

Yes, sorry missed your post, Poo. As you know we are having shitty experienced with SA. So angry reading your post.

Thepoodoctor Fri 17-Jan-14 18:34:17

Don't apologise Hazey I think you are having it worse. But perish the thought couldn't they aim to make it easy?!

wine

Sign glad things sound more positive. It must be hard for DH to accept the need for things like scooter, I'm glad he has been able to give it a go.

ouryve Fri 17-Jan-14 18:37:06

Oh, Poo sad You're rather appropriately named, tonight.

DS2's being a little PITA. Very slap happy (he's making me very sore) and he's wound DS1 up again, after he'd managed to calm himself. Just by doing The Thing with his hand. The Thing that DS1 interprets as an invitation to "go over there and get hit". It's a hand gesture. DS2 might have not been able to learn very much Makaton, but he's learnt that this one gesture gives him to much power. It's exhausting.

Might have to hit the wine again, tonight. Been doing more work on his DLA form. Up to the point where I need to write about nights. Wondering if it's worth even bothering with that bit because it always gets written off as normal. DH is barely safe to drive to work, some mornings because he has to do the early starts, most of the time.

ouryve Fri 17-Jan-14 18:38:37

And if DS1 stands on my bloody feet once more, I might have a meltdown of my own.

At least I'm not PMSy any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now