Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

G&C open early for breakfast 4th Jan 2014

(326 Posts)
SallyBear Sat 04-Jan-14 08:36:02

Morning all! HNY to you all.

I'm lying in bed wondering how long I can stay here before I have to get up...... wink

Not a lot to report other than DD had a raft of appointments at GOSH on Thursday. We are booking for bilateral ear reconstruction surgery in August/September. Approximately 7 hours for stage 1 of the repair. confused Her decision to do this. We then saw the SLT who have finally agreed that the palate lengthening surgeries haven't been a success as the palate doesn't move well and her sound production is unique to her as she hits the pharynx with the base of her tongue to make plosive sounds that are now glottal sounds. Very sad about that.

Anyway School next week. Hallelujah!!!

youarewinning Fri 10-Jan-14 18:28:59

Ellen grin

Moose - hope spots all disappear off soon.

Sally - hope you find a decent tutor.

Hazey wine

zzzz - we've all been there! Don't beat yourself up about it.

Also do bum wiping here. DS struggles to do it right. However when he leaks at school he does sort himself out. Its not the best job but is improvement!

For those who say their children get unexplained allergic reactions. I'm currently looking at some information - re sensory processing and retained primitive reflexes. Seems to link to DS and is very common in children with ASD. I got some info from the sensory OT at school and have looked into it further. DS has retained 2 reflexes and possibly another from what I've done with him at home. Sensory OT saw videos and agrees so I'm building a case to present pead in April. Think I've officially decided to become one of 'those' mums. wink

SallyBear Fri 10-Jan-14 16:34:55

Cheeky goose! grin

Wow, today has just blown my mind. Good things, but... wow. Talk of social enterprises, making a feature documentary and other good stuff. Could be an amazing year for me.

Would it be a social enterprise if I were to take baby/toddler/watch me grow pictures and used the profits from the business to run workshops in film and photography for children and adults with SN? I'd love to do that.

PolterGoose Fri 10-Jan-14 16:27:17

(((hugs))) and wine for Summer flowers

For Sally wink

SummerRain Fri 10-Jan-14 16:11:57

Morning from hell here... Missed my alarms as my phone was acting the bollocks again and was drastically late for work. The girl I was supposed to be driving went ahead without me so I've lost out on my petrol expenses and I feel like shit as shes had to spend extra on petrol too. Then I hit a badger on my way to work and cried most of the way (I love badgers sad)

Thankfully my supervisor was lovely so at least I didn't get in shit for being late but I'm still feeling frazzled and upset.

SallyBear Fri 10-Jan-14 16:11:33

I set my appt entries in my phone to include travel time and a bit extra. I did something similar and missed a junction on the M40 and did a 20 mile round trip to get back to the junction I needed..... I hadn't included enough time for the re-route but fortunately my squawked phone call en route did the trick blush

zzzzz Fri 10-Jan-14 15:57:20

I just am SO tired of always being late

ouryve Fri 10-Jan-14 14:51:47

Tepid mistakes are forgiveable when you're already stressed. It's the hot ones I'd worry about zzzzz flowersbrew

PolterGoose Fri 10-Jan-14 14:10:03

These things happen zzzzz brew cake flowers

zzzzz Fri 10-Jan-14 13:57:35

Please shoot me, I am the worst mother and possibly mad. Enormous arrangements to take ds1 to the dentist 40mindrive away. Drove to wrong "campus" realised mistake, got lost, 20 mins late, dentist gone home.......I literally can't do anything right at the moment. sad <wail>
I make tepid mistakes ALL the time.

Feeling fucking awful.

ouryve Fri 10-Jan-14 13:39:02

That's how I felt last year, moose when everyone was constantly coughing or puking. DH has gone from working in an office of 100 to an office of 5 on a full day, now, so he's bringing less home. DS1 is no longer having his migraines and DS2 actually seems more robust for cutting out our weekly pizza, as well. I've suspected him of having abdominal migraines, in the past (which is why I kicked myself for never considering that for DS1).

DS2 made me laugh, this morning. His 1:1 has long, curly hair, and normally wears it up, piled on her head (since long before that became hip!) She had it straightened, this morning. He took one look at her, shook his head and ran past her!

Jackster - we've done that with DS1, before now. I took his uniform in a bag, but I figured it was more important he just went in. I've also sent DS2 in, wearing cotton joggers, when he's had a bad heat rash, but it's not been warm enough for shorts.

moosemama Fri 10-Jan-14 12:41:40

Thanks Polter. I think I'm going to have to. I'm planning a huge long walk with my dogs this weekend at the very least. Poor things have only been lead walked after dark for two weeks now. The older one is depressed and the pup is going stir crazy.

Jackster, thanks for the good wishes.

It's refreshing to hear of a school that has such a sensible attitude. So many just seem to insist on full uniform regardless.

Jacksterbear Fri 10-Jan-14 12:38:30

(Ps yet again I've done a giant x-post by not refreshing the thread!)

Jacksterbear Fri 10-Jan-14 12:36:19

Hope you managed to get some time to relax a bit, ouryve.

It's so very reassuring and a relief to hear that others are having to do bum-wiping too. That's yet another thing (like poor eating and sleeping) that I'd put down to my own shit (excuse the pun grin) parenting but now I see may be down to ds' difficulties!

moose, hope you are getting through the day ok; and hazey thanks.

DS refused all items of school uniform this morning as they were all scratchy/uncomfortable/rubbing his skin. He ended up going in in tracky bottoms, hoody, and snow boots hmm. Happily school seem to be of the view that better in and calmish, than not in / in but in a state.

PolterGoose Fri 10-Jan-14 12:30:04

moose brew cake can you try and plan some getting out of the house at weekends when dh is home?

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 10-Jan-14 12:24:53

Ellen well done to your ds. You should be very proud. So should he.

Galena you shouldn't have to spell the wiping out but sounds as if it might be safer to. Shouldn't be a problem if they are already helping with toileting. Though some schools do get really twitching about anything to with toileting. I really think that ds was excluded from his primary school because the HT couldn't cope with the thought that due to his OCD he needed help in the loo.

Sign glad the new hours are working out and yay for an enthusiastic new teacher who listens.

moosemama Fri 10-Jan-14 12:21:21

Ds1 used to build huge great structures with his boxes of nappies when he was younger. I can remember thinking how at least it was a bit of added value for money.

Well, ds2 is not feeling ill at all and still has just the one spot, but is reporting sore bits on his skin here and there - including his scalp, so am thinking it's only a matter of time.

We've actually had quite a nice day, as ds2 is feeling ok and dd is pretty much better and they get on well together - which is a vast improvement on the combination of dd and ds1 at the start of the week.

I have just realised that, if ds1 comes down with it in the next few days to a week, I won't have had a single child free day from the start of December to the end of January. I will definitely be in dire need of copious amounts of both wine and chocolate by then. <<wibble>>

moosemama Fri 10-Jan-14 12:16:59

Hazey, I have no useful advice, just some ((hugs)) and a brew

ouryve Fri 10-Jan-14 11:27:46

I get DS1 to take them all upstairs as his "heavy work". The boys then get a giant box each to play with!

autumnsmum Fri 10-Jan-14 11:23:58

Ouryve I've had the problem with the tapes as well as they are huge on dd2 .she did however have great fun removing all the packets from the delivery box and using them as stepping stones across the living room

PolterGoose Fri 10-Jan-14 11:22:10

(((hugs))) hazey

ouryve Fri 10-Jan-14 11:15:12

They seemed a lot tougher when he first started getting them autumn. They often rip when we try to position the tape, too - thinking I need to have a grumble to someone as they're virtually unusable because the temptation for him to help them along is too great. I've even caught DS1 poking his backside to make them pop.

I understand the arms seeming too short, Galena. I have short arms and a long torso, anyhow, and when my lower back or shoulders have seized up, I do find it hard to reach around the back. Definitely try the wet wipes, though. They don't need to be kids' ones - Sainsburys do "sensitive" ones for about 70p for a "refill" pack of 40. They're easier to get straight out of the pack than out of the dispensers, much like babywipes. They clean off a lot more, though. When DS1 will let me in the bathroom with him, I'll insist that he finishes off with one.

autumnsmum Fri 10-Jan-14 10:48:19

Haley that's heartbreaking to hear buckets of wine and choc .there was a boy with kleefstra syndrome at one of the units we looked at for dd2 .galena you have a beautiful brave daughter.ouryve dd2 has already managed to rip an attend nappy and the bed looks like the inside of a snow globe

hazeyjane Fri 10-Jan-14 10:43:17

Sorry, meant to say, I hope you find a good tutor for ds2, Sallybear. Interesting about dyslexia and times tables, dd2 hasn't started that stage of numeracy yet, so will keep an eye on it.

And Moose, sorry to hear it is the pox thanks and bucket loads of bicarb and piriton for you.

hazeyjane Fri 10-Jan-14 10:39:39

It is only in the last year that dd2 (6) comes home without poo all over her pants. Like you say her arms just don't seem long enough!

I hope they will be able to sort out some help for her, but in the meantime, I made a little bag for dd2 with a spare pair of knickers, some wipes, hand gel and a nappy bag (for pooey pants) - and gave her lessons in how to clean herself up afterwards. I also said to the teacher that if she went to the toilet and was a long time, them there was probably a clean up operation going on. I hated the thought of her sore, or smelling of poo whilst playing.

She looks like she is doing so well, Galena, you must be so proud.

Just so furious about what is going on with ds's statement. Have just got off the phone with his early years worker, and burst into tears. I have written everything down, it is just beyond me that a case involving a child who has been in the system since birth, and has so many professionals involved in his care can be so cocked up.

Feeling a little over emotional because this week has seen the anniversary of the deaths of 2 beautiful children with Kleefstra Syndrome ( one of whom only had her diagnosis after she died).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now