Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

G&C open early for breakfast 4th Jan 2014

(326 Posts)
SallyBear Sat 04-Jan-14 08:36:02

Morning all! HNY to you all.

I'm lying in bed wondering how long I can stay here before I have to get up...... wink

Not a lot to report other than DD had a raft of appointments at GOSH on Thursday. We are booking for bilateral ear reconstruction surgery in August/September. Approximately 7 hours for stage 1 of the repair. confused Her decision to do this. We then saw the SLT who have finally agreed that the palate lengthening surgeries haven't been a success as the palate doesn't move well and her sound production is unique to her as she hits the pharynx with the base of her tongue to make plosive sounds that are now glottal sounds. Very sad about that.

Anyway School next week. Hallelujah!!!

PolterGoose Sat 04-Jan-14 20:00:33

sign and hazey grin

Glad zzzzz is less revolting, hope dd can be sorted ASAP

youarewinning Sat 04-Jan-14 20:12:34

Wow hazey that sounds like a great day. The staff sound lovely too - makes such a difference doesn't it. And yes, we need to know about the banana!

Hi sign glad Christmas and new year good.

autumnsmum Sat 04-Jan-14 20:26:30

Sounds a great day and yes what is a I've banana

Hope you get the ultrasound appt quickly, zzzzz. Photo lump with a coin or ruler next to it to judge relative sizes on different photos.

Been to that thread! Gosh, I just don't recognise the SN board from some of the descriptions! Can't help wondering how 'firm' someone's opinion must have been for lots of us to 'bully' them? hmm

homework Sat 04-Jan-14 23:25:03

Zzzz was also going to suggest taken photo with small ruler or something so that the doctors can see the accurate size of the lump , can't then just say it's the way you taken the photograph .
Ring and say you know that you down for an emergency appointment but if they have a last minute cancellation. That you be willen to take that, sorry that presuming that you can , saves them a wasted appointment , sometimes people cancel on day or day before . Don't know if your able to do this or not . Sorry your having such a difficult time .

zzzzz Sat 04-Jan-14 23:30:35

Have been doing the ruler thing. (Great mind think alike grin )

I think "my" GP will be back on Monday and the hospital will be running more normally. I can't do last minute but I suspect our own Dr will push or us, she is fantastic.

Thepoodoctor Sun 05-Jan-14 09:11:05

Hazey I googled an ice banana - looks great fun! So glad you had a good time. (sorry don't know how to do links)

Zzzz hope they get you an appointment soon. So sorry you are going through the mill with this.

Need to do a bit of Ross Greene style on DS and his iPad - currently obsessing with angry birds Go! and highly grumpy about doing anything else. Having been advised by Camhs to lighten up on it - trouble is without a fixed limit he always reckons its a possibility if you see what I mean!

autumnsmum Sun 05-Jan-14 09:46:28

Another no sleep and fever night with poor dd2 hope the meds start to work soon on the plus side she got up this morning and said medicine make me feel better and promptly threw up!

hazeyjane Sun 05-Jan-14 10:35:54

Poor dd, Autumn, hope she picks up soon, and you get some rest.

Yes - this is the ice banana - half way down the page. The thing that impressed me about the staff, they were all young men, and just took everything in their stride - sn buggy on the ice - no worries, small wobbly boy who can't walk very well - no worries, get the special skates, lets give it a go - I think their confidence must have rubbed off on ds, because he just looked so happy. There were 6 children under 7 with us, and they all had a ball.

The threads about the boards are freaking me out a bit, the bullying and cliqueyness is not something I recognise, there seem to be a couple of people who have issues with the board, is it a historical thing? I just hate the way this place is being misrepresented.

Zzzzz, good plan with the ruler - dd2 had a suspicious lump on her shoulder when she was a year old, we had to draw around it with a thin permanent marker.

hazeyjane Sun 05-Jan-14 10:37:08

I have had to google Dr Ross Greene, as i had been thinking he was some sort of uber mutation of Dr Ross and Dr Greene from ER - I confess i am a little disappointed.

<shallow>

autumnsmum Sun 05-Jan-14 11:08:06

Oh god a mixture of dr Ross and dr Greene swoon!the paed who dealt with dd1s jaundice when she was born was gorgeous shame I looked such a state .hazey am I right to think your gorgeous ds will be starting school in September like dd2

hazeyjane Sun 05-Jan-14 11:31:06

Yes he will, having huge wobbles about it, because as a July boy, with a 2 year (+ in certain areas) delay, a part of me thinks it would be better to go to the lea and ask for him to go into reception a year later. But, if he gets a statement and goes to the unit we have applied for, then he will be going with the children who he is at preschool with now and they are very geared up for children like ds.

Seeing how happy he is now with his 1-1 at preschool, part of me would like to keep him there for another year, but seeing how much progress he has made there, another part of me can see how beneficial it will be for him to move on.

Blurble.

I seem to have a thing for screen drs - I am a bit in love with Dr Ranj, especially since a lady I know online told me that he was her dd's paed, and that he always smelt lovely.

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 05-Jan-14 11:50:50

Is it me or does that post asking for research information seem to dismiss us at not too bright when they said asking us was a long shot. confused Oh well.

I am so glad DS1 is going back to school tomorrow. He's actually looking forward to it. He has slowly deteriorated each day over the last 2 weeks, and is a walking stimming tic'ing bundle of nerves and emotionally overloaded.

SallyBear Sun 05-Jan-14 12:28:00

Hazey I had the same worries about ds4. I wanted him to stay in nursery another year but the LA told me that it would mean that he would legally be able to leave school before he'd finished his education. So I stuck him in MS reception with a 1:1. Six hellish, stressful months later he's moved to his Special school where he will remain until he's 19 (or move if its no longer an appropriate place for him.).

It's always a difficult one, Hazey. If he gets a SS place, or a special unit, then there's no problem going with his peer group. If he gets a place in MS, then I really think it's more beneficial to permanently drop back a year. Yes, it would mean one less year's education at the other end, but TBH, that's a long way off and only a minor issue.

If he does end up in MS and you want him to permanently drop back the year, you'd need the EP or other prof to recommend it and get it written into his statement. I never seriously considered it for DS2 as he's Oct and more spiky than globally delayed, but plenty of his friends did so and have never been teased for being older or had issues with it. Other bullying, yes, but never about being older.

ouryve Sun 05-Jan-14 15:49:23

Whew! I actually got DS1 to sit stillish and remain calmish for long enough to cut his hair. It actually looks a bit smart (and it's a lot softer, since some of it hadn't been cut for 6 months.)

Noticed that we're definitely not the only ones with first thing in the morning in a quiet shop shopping habits. In M&S, this morning. DH had taken the kids elsewhere for most of the time I was in there, but I noticed only 2 other kids in the food hall, both around DS1's age. One girl was rather stimmy and her mum looked rather tired. DH clocked her in the queue behind him, too, as she was getting a bit bouncy at that point. The other was a girl with Downs. Much less stressed, but I've seen her in there with her family, early on in the day, before!

DS2's currently trying to crawl around the back of the sofa. Funny boy.

ouryve Sun 05-Jan-14 15:57:50

We experimented with holding DS2 back from year 1 temporarily (reception was in the same area as nursery, so no problems adapting it to him, there). It really didn't work socially. He's still way behind the year below, academically, but towers over them all and they were a bit scared of him. He also benefits from the relative maturity of the children around him. There's a few boys in his class with comparatively mild difficulties of their own who do struggle with him, but some of the girls are so patient with him and he'll happily use PECS with them when he needs something.

youarewinning Sun 05-Jan-14 16:27:17

Had a lovely moment today. In Aldi and saw a girl from DS school. He sat at front chatting to her, chatting animatedly, in what seemed like a turn taking conversation - although he led it about minecraft as he had his annual with him iyswim? I asked if she's in his class. Turns out she's year 6 and DS said she's lovely to him and 'helps me play with other children and when they are mean to me'.
Children like that deserve a medal IMO - she seemed such a lovely girl too.

Autumn - hope dd does really start to feel better soon.

Ouryve - your brave! Well done DS on sitting still.

Ouryve, that's interesting. I guess older role models at that age could be useful. As it happens most of the DC I know who went back a year were summer born so looked physically appropriate, just like a September child, maybe. There are always at least 2 sides to every decision, Hazey!

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 05-Jan-14 16:36:22

Realistically speaking, if he's a July baby and is held back a year, he's potentially only 2 months older than some of the other children (the September babies from that year), right? So I can't imagine anyone would even peg that he's "older", wouldn't you think? (if that makes sense)

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 05-Jan-14 16:37:14

EllenJane you must stop reading my mind. grin

Spooky! grin

Can someone remind me who Ben10 is nowadays? Can PM me if you want. My spreadsheet memory has failed.

PolterGoose Sun 05-Jan-14 17:04:24

Ellen I don't know who anyone is confused

AliceinWinterWonderland Sun 05-Jan-14 17:05:45

sorry, I'm a recent NC. One day I will learn spreadsheet skills so I can keep track of it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now