Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Opening up goose and carrot early for all stressed parents

(352 Posts)
autumnsmum Fri 20-Dec-13 10:12:16

Thought I would open up super early this week to put us in the Christmas mood here is dd2 and father christmas

TambaMelchior Fri 20-Dec-13 10:33:54

Hi, this is my first time in the G&C. I know it's a bit early in the morning to start drinking but I think I need some Dutch courage to face the supermarket for our Christmas food shopping. I was very disappointed when I found out there was no option to order online, outrageous!!! wink
Send the search and rescue team if you don't hear from me by the afternoon...
autumnsmum , that's a lovely picture of your dd2.

PolterTurkey Fri 20-Dec-13 12:00:40

Lovely picture fsmile

We did a quick shop this morning which was not great, got back home and ds banged his head on the gate in fury, then refused to let me in, then threw his coat at me. Oh joy.

Hope your shopping trip is more pleasant than mine Tamba

ouryve Fri 20-Dec-13 12:26:15

I got my online Sainsbobs order, this morning. I booked the slot 3 weeks ago, as soon as they became available and I've just added stuff to it that I know I won't be able to get in our smaller sainsbobs on Sunday. I have a nice stash of lactofree cream in the fridge now grin

Polter - sometimes we appear to share a DS!

DS2 had a better evening, yesterday, but DS1 was pale and tired and processing very slowly and struggled to eat much dinner, again, last night - he was struggling to hold his head up and left the table and buried his head in some cushions. I was worrying about how the final week stress was affecting him, even though his class had nothing special on, yesterday. Well, this morning, someone handed him some chocolate coins. He looked disgusted with them and shoved them in my pocket and told me I had to take them home. I asked if he'd eaten some chocolate, this week and he said yes, he had a bit yesterday and the day before. It looks like we've confirmed a migraine trigger. So there's a definite to report back at his appointment in March.

Bluerobinonmychristmastree Fri 20-Dec-13 12:37:40

Merry Christmas everyone!

What a lovely picture of miniautumn.

Shall we put some Christmas tunes on the juke box? Mulled wine anyone?

bigbluebus Fri 20-Dec-13 12:39:44

Busy trying to get presents wrapped this morning as DS breaks up at lunchtime and DH finishes for 2 weeks this evening.

Good news is DD is improving and is mostly off Oxygen during the day although is back on it at night - lets home she has turned the corner.

DM is stable after her operation although still haven't managed to get her on her feet yet as her BP keeps dropping. However, Doctors are pleased with her progress but she will be in hospital over Christmas meaning lots more travelling for me sad.

Hoping to get out this evening to meet up with a couple of friends for a few hours, which will be a much needed break after everything that has been happening over the last 5 weeks. Will be on the soft drinks though as I will have to drive - so have one for me at the bar grin

autumnsmum Fri 20-Dec-13 12:40:14

Thank you everyone wonder how blue bus is this week

autumnsmum Fri 20-Dec-13 12:57:40

Oops cross post

hazeyjane Fri 20-Dec-13 13:22:46

Oh, you're over here, blimey we've opened early this week - but last day of school - woohoo.

I'll have a drop of Baileys in my coffee, please.

Gorgeous photo of a gorgeous girl, Autmun.

autumnsmum Fri 20-Dec-13 13:31:27

Baileys all round hope your feeling better hazey praying ds stays well as a very unhelpful parent brought a child in who had vomited in the night and it is spreading round the class like wildfire .the Dcs and dp and me need that for Christmas not.big blue enjoy your night

TheLeastAccomplishedBennetGirl Fri 20-Dec-13 13:36:56

Afternoon all

I just need to pop down to the surgery to put repeat prescription requests in so we don't run out of anything, can I take my mulled wine in a thermo mug please?

DD managed the whole week, for the first time ever since starting school, but she's hardly slept at night.

Her little face today as she reminded me it was the last day, and how she was calling it 3 weeks off because the inset day breaks into the 3rd week.

Can't wait to have my DD back

DS2 is still off sick with anxiety, but the final part of his assessment is mid January, so the light at the eye of the tunnel might be a train, but hopefully we'll have tickets to get on this one!

TambaMelchior Fri 20-Dec-13 14:02:56

I've survived the shopping trip, barely though...ouryve next Christmas I'll book the slot 3 weeks in advance, I've put a reminder on the calendar already!
DS had his Christmas production this week and I was really pleased to see he tried to join in the singing a couple of times. He couldn't quite understand why he had to go back to school for the evening show though...

PolterTurkey Fri 20-Dec-13 14:42:06

bigblue glad there is some improvement with dd and dm, hope you enjoy your night out.

BennetGirl hope dd and ds have better years next year.

PolterTurkey Fri 20-Dec-13 14:46:28

Ds calmed down, we got the tree and decorations down and he had a lovely sensory packed half hour with tinsel and balls, and then decorated the tree himself.

signandsmile Fri 20-Dec-13 14:55:10

I'm here and not marking... grin went to ikea this morning, not too busy and have found some storage boxes that fit both the gaps in the TV unit and the populations of darleks and cybermen who live there, yay! grin slight tussle with ds who wanted different episodes in different compartments and me who wanted them stored in the compartments in which they fitted, defused by having 'sorting' in order to enjoy the sorting and 'putting away sorting' which mummy will decide. grin

am trying to resisit the urge for mulled wine, altho as I only have the non alcoholic in it doesn't really matter, watching 'earth shock' (dr who peter davidson) with utterly brain fried ds, waiting for blokey to come with my kitchen quote... ( so excited, have been saving for two years, and should all happen in Feb yay!! grin)

Borka Fri 20-Dec-13 15:20:10

I'm venturing in to the G&C for the first time as I need to celebrate the end of term - hooray!

Polter,you inspired me to keep DS off school for the Christmas party this afternoon, which has definitely made things better. thanks

Borka Fri 20-Dec-13 15:20:51

Oh, and your tree looks lovely!

PolterTurkey Fri 20-Dec-13 15:25:21

That's good Borka, and thank you, the tree looks perfectly tacky and ds is very happy with it fgrin

autumnsmum Fri 20-Dec-13 15:34:40

Polter the tree looks fab

ouryve Fri 20-Dec-13 16:07:49

Squeaky wheels! Squeaky wheels! Squeaky all the wayyyyy!

Glad to have pushed that pigging buggy up the hill for the last time this year. Must get DH to give it all a clean and oil, over Christmas.

There's Amaretto in the cupboard, wot I got from Sainsburys. I would pour myself a celebratory glass, but DH would think I'd finally lost it grin

ouryve Fri 20-Dec-13 16:10:20

And DS1 has just informed me that he ate chocolate again, today [sigh]

LilTreacle Fri 20-Dec-13 16:12:02

Evening!
We had a good week!
A huge relief after the disaster of last week for poor DS.
It has meant DH stayed off work and did all the morning routine with DS, took him to school later than usual and stayed there for a while to make sure DS was Ok and then was on call to get him at short notice if needed.
It worked and DS has been pretty relaxed and was back in the class with his peers this morning for the 'movie'.

Not sure how we replicate this for the rest of school life, but just glad this week of school is over and we can all relax a bit.

Happy weekend before Christmas everyone.

moosemama Fri 20-Dec-13 16:12:16

Evening folks!

No more school runs for two whole weeks! fgrin

Autumn, lovely picture of your dd.

Polter, your tree looks really festive. Your ds has done a much better job with the tinsel than my 3 did. I usually only let them have tinsel on the tree in the boys room, but dh let them put some on the one in the living room when I wasn't looking this year. fhmm

I've had an interesting day involving a certain puppy and lots and lots of blood, a trip to the vets, then another booked for this evening. Just praying dh makes it back from London in time - or it'll be me, the puppy and three overtired, sugar filled dcs.

Still haven't wrapped a thing (other than gifts for other people that I have already had to give out) and am now feeling very panicked about it. On the other hand, this week I have managed a really good clean and sort out of the downstairs, baked and iced what felt like a million gingerbread and stained-glass biscuits for school parties and organised a ridiculous round of school activities, parties, toy days, teacher and TA gifts and everyone's Christmas cards, plus dd's birthday invitations - and dh has been away in London, so I haven't done too badly.

I fully intend to have a large glass of mulled wine and start wrapping in earnest once everyone is in bed this evening.

Did anyone else see that Alex Polizzi Christmas programme last night? It really got up my snoot, don't really know why, except she seemed to have completely missed the point of Christmas and made it seem like it all has to be clinically organised and perfect - which is the polar opposite of my Christmases. In which case, it's probably my ishoo - and the programme was lovely! fgrin

Jacksterbear Fri 20-Dec-13 16:13:13

wine wine wine for all. Well done to all who've made it through the term.

Polter that tree is ace.

moosemama Fri 20-Dec-13 16:14:14

Ouryve, I used to keep a travel sized bottle of hair shine spray in my buggy - it's fantastic for stopping squeaking. You just squirt a bit on the wheel joint whenever it starts up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now