Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Goose and Carrot Friday 13th Dec..

(211 Posts)
GloriaTheHighlyFavouredLady Fri 13-Dec-13 13:56:35

Hi everyone,

DS broke up for school this afternoon so we, as agreed, set off to homebase to get Christmas tree lights to decorate the tree.

All sold out.

AND, they aren't getting any more in because they have to stock the shelves for the after Christmas sales hmm.

What do people who celebrate Christmas at Christmas time do then?

bigbluebus Fri 13-Dec-13 14:45:42

I know what you mean Gloria. I went into Tesco the other night to start some Christmas shopping and there were a couple of packs of Christmas cards on the shelves.
I am ready for a drink at the Goose and Carrot this week. I have had a really crap month sad. Firstly my DF died suddenly and unexpectedly, leaving my DM (whom he was carer for) on her own 75 miles away from the nearest of her children. Then DD started to become ill and after a week at home on oral ABs & O2, we finally had to give in and admit her to hospital. That in itself was a dire experience as she was on an adult ward for the first time. She came home after a week and was home for all of one day before having a massive seizure and being blue lighted back to hospital, where she nearly lost her fight. However, after excellent care in ITU, she came home after another week, but is still unwell and on a little O2 and just generally not very well, but we can't tell exactly what the problem is and she can't tell us sad. In between all DDs hospital stays, I have had to arrange and attend my Dad's funeral and help sort out a care package for my Mum, as well as doing all her paperwork - which Dad used to do, and sends Mum into a panic every time the postman drops the mail through the letter box.

Christmas is cancelled in this house, as nothing has been done towards it, although I now have my DM coming for Christmas, so will have to organise something. I have got some help coming for DD next week, but am not confident there will be anything left in the shops when I get there.

So, mine's a large one this weeksmile

SummerRain Fri 13-Dec-13 15:18:04

Oh bigbluebus.... you've had such a horrific month sad I'm sorry for the loss of your father and wish your dd and swift recovery flowers

bigbluebus Fri 13-Dec-13 15:21:08

Thank you summer and thanks for the flowers - I have just had to throw away the real ones my RL friends sent, so yours will be a good replacement grin

SummerRain Fri 13-Dec-13 15:37:50

Have some more then smile

flowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers

autumnsmum Fri 13-Dec-13 15:38:45

Big blue there are no words I'm truly ,truly sorry

GloriaTheHighlyFavouredLady Fri 13-Dec-13 15:49:24

Bloody Hell BigBlueBus!! You poor thing. I can't imagine you know where to start with recovering from all of that. And so sorry for your loss.

bigbluebus Fri 13-Dec-13 15:49:35

Lucky I don't need to find vases for all those summer smile. Thank you.

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Fri 13-Dec-13 15:49:53

So sorry bigblue, I hope things start to look up for you and your DD.

thanks

bigbluebus Fri 13-Dec-13 15:53:38

Gloria It has all just been a blur and I guess like many of us know, with our children, you just have to get on with it. I am anticipating collapsing in a heap some time in early 2014 though, but for now, there just isn't the time.
In the meantime I am buying lottery tickets and raffle tickets in the hope that we are due some good luck smile

moosemama Fri 13-Dec-13 15:54:19

Oh bigbluebus, I have no words. What a truly horrific month. I'm so sorry for you loss and really hope dd is better soon. flowers <-- Sorry, they don't seem enough, but are sent with much love and light. x

PolterGoose Fri 13-Dec-13 15:55:15

So sorry for your loss bigblue flowers and hope dd gets well soon flowers

zzzzz Fri 13-Dec-13 16:34:46

bigblue [whiskey] and [food], dd3 was in HDU for a week (and back again a few days after as we always have a few false starts) a week after my fathers funeral. It was a draining time and you have all my sympathy. Grief is exhausting and you will probably suddenly get unbelievably tired. Be ready. I was lucky ds1s SALT warned me ahead of time. Pay all your bills and fill up your freezer/prepare a grocery list for delivery and menu. I wish I could help (Devon). Make sure you eat, solid and regularly. This Christmas will always be "the Christmas Dad died", it will be what it is. Honk honk. sad

Strange day here, 3/5 already broken up the other 2 have another week. I spent all morning cleaning one stretch of kitchen counter/cupboard. How is that even possible? The house is a mire and I am SO slow. I haven't started on Christmas and am cooking/entertaining/presenting for 11. Ho ho ho. I need to start drinking again. wine

bigbluebus Fri 13-Dec-13 16:50:01

Thanks all.

zzzzz Why does it all happen at once? - not that there is ever a good time for a family member to die or for your DC to be in hospital, sad
Glad I'm not cooking for 11 though. Just the 4 of us, plus my Mum - and DD is tube fed, so no cooking for her sometimes wishes we were all tube fed, it would make life a lot easier

I have been eating regularly, but have still managed to lose half a stone - just goes to show how much crap I normally eat between meals. grin I usually go to the gym 3 times a week but haven't been since mid Nov and not likely to get there before Christmas now - just hope my weight loss isn't all muscle loss sad.

Don't break up here until next Friday, although DD not going to be there next week anyway, but DS will be in College.

ItsAWonderfulCervix Fri 13-Dec-13 16:51:06

BBB [hug] my week of shite has paled into insignificance.

wine all round.

zzzzz Fri 13-Dec-13 17:00:19

I don't know BigBlue it's like someone just takes a liquidiser to your life. I can't watch any movies now where you see the Gods looking down and earth is their game. None of it is fair or cope-able with.

SallyBear Fri 13-Dec-13 17:07:34

Bigblue - no words to add as everyone has said it all. I'm just so sorry. Puts my troubles into perspective. Please look after yourself and follow zzzzz's excellent advice.

DS1 and DH are off to the cinema to watch The Hobbit part 2. Both very excited. Tomorrow DS3 is off to a Xmas party at the local cop shop and DD is off to a roller disco on Sunday. At some point this weekend I have to strip wallpaper as DS4 smeared it last night. confused I will be trying to paint his room inbetween finishing Xmas preparation and various projects. Wine sounds good.

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 13-Dec-13 17:22:37

Ah, this name is better than Gloria I reckon after all.

Sallybear Hope you have a lovely time.

My good news is that I was elected as Parent Governor at dd's school.

PolterGoose Fri 13-Dec-13 17:29:50

Well done Star fsmile

SallyBear Fri 13-Dec-13 17:31:03

Well done Star!

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 13-Dec-13 17:36:59

Yes dd's teacher congratulated me and said it was good as she saw me every day so could pester me with any issues. I reminded her that all the parents of the children in her class also saw me every day grin

Jacksterbear Fri 13-Dec-13 18:04:39

Woohoo Starlight smile

bigbluebus I'm so sorry sad thanks

ouryve Fri 13-Dec-13 18:40:22

Gloria - we're hoping we have enough lights for our new Christmas tree, as we're not putting it up for another week!

BigBlueBus - what an horrendous month sad on a practical level, if it's in your budget and you can get someone to look after DD or pick it up for you, is an M&S food to go order doable for you? It might just make things that bit easier, and ordering is still open, this weekend. They're usually very efficient about collections in store - it's all ready boxed up for you. christmasfood.marksandspencer.com/?extid=hp_car_1_1

zzzzz Fri 13-Dec-13 18:48:03

Oh Star that's brilliant. Well done. grin

inappropriatelyemployed Fri 13-Dec-13 19:20:17

BigBlueBus - so sorry you have had such an awful time.

Well done Star.

Got DS's statement today after 7 months of fighting for education for him while he is out of school. A s 319 package. They say they will agree to direct payments too.

I can't help thinking I am about to be kicked from behind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now