Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Educational psychologist - do I medicate?

(4 Posts)
Nicknameinvalid Wed 06-Nov-13 16:29:27

So ds has a educational psychologist appointment in a week.. It's to support his statement application..

Issue is is that ds is on medication for ADHD as well as anti anxiety medication - the difference with the ADHD medication is massive on a daily basis.. What I'm not sure of is whether it's better to 'forget' his dose on the day the Ed Psych assesses him so that they get a true picture or let them see him as he is at the moment on a regular basis? Obviously he will score 'better' with the medication...

Any opinions?

JohFlow Wed 06-Nov-13 17:14:49

I would ring up the educational psychologist and explain your dilemma and ask how they would like to see him 'in his natural state' or medicated. I suspect; but I am not sure that it may cause him extra difficulties to suddenly withdraw his meds (particularly) if he has been on them for a while. See what they say. I'm sure they've had this question before.

Nicknameinvalid Wed 06-Nov-13 17:24:51

He's only been on them for 3 weeks and we don't tend to give it to him at the weekends.. (He doesn't need them unless we have a very hectic day planned), I wouldn't stop the anti anxiety but just the ADHD medication.. But good idea to call her.

ladyrainy Thu 07-Nov-13 08:57:15

Is the ed psych going to do formal assessments? Would be more difficult without meds and ed psych may not get a true picture of his abilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now